Remove Advertisements

What seal with the 10.3.12 hotfix?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: What seal with the 10.3.12 hotfix?

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Kihra wrote:My high level point is just that Seal of Insight is (to me at least) obviously the intended tanking seal, and that our tanking has been designed with that self-healing in mind.
Well I'm not sure about that, there seems to be a lot of sloppy mechanics for it to have been designed as the primary tanking seal. Future patches will tell the tale there though. I don't doubt that they thought it might be used in situations where the boss is a tank check, but generally you would want some sort of trade off, where this seal seems to be maximum survivability which also generates absurd amounts of threat. If they are Ok with threat being trivial, well that's just unfortunate.

Kihra wrote:Note I said Sacred Shield as well as Seal of Insight, so it's not *that* bad.
Well look, I don't know all the details of damage intake across tanking classes nor the way EH or other balance points compare. You may well be right that it is balanced. However, with other elements being balanced, taking 46% more damage is significantly inferior to receiving 46% more healing.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:17 pm

According to a couple of guild healers, I went from "somewhat tedious to heal" to "why aren't we doing this with 4 dps? I feel useless" when I swapped to SoI. No gear changes or real play-style changes.

In the past, Blizzard has repeatedly said that they do not care if threat generation is trivial, and that if it becomes non-trivial they are willing to take steps to make it trivial again.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Pyrea wrote:In the past, Blizzard has repeatedly said that they do not care if threat generation is trivial, and that if it becomes non-trivial they are willing to take steps to make it trivial again.

That's sad. It ought to be an important part of tanking it certainly has been in the past. Threat doesn't have to be killer, but if it's trivial their idea about "choice" becomes sort of nonsense.

Though even when threat was trivial they nerfed exactly this type of threat (judgement of light) because of the additional problem it creates. Healing threat like that applies to mobs that the tank hasn't hit, making one of the more daunting tasks in some fights, add pickup, also trivial.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Treck » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Pyrea wrote:According to a couple of guild healers, I went from "somewhat tedious to heal" to "why aren't we doing this with 4 dps? I feel useless" when I swapped to SoI. No gear changes or real play-style changes.

You should ask them why there is a healer in the group
Treck

Postby Ismet » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 am

They should introduce a tanking glyph which changes SoL healingticks in shields with 15 sec duration
Ismet

Postby gibborim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Pyrea wrote:In the past, Blizzard has repeatedly said that they do not care if threat generation is trivial, and that if it becomes non-trivial they are willing to take steps to make it trivial again.

That's sad. It ought to be an important part of tanking it certainly has been in the past. Threat doesn't have to be killer, but if it's trivial their idea about "choice" becomes sort of nonsense.

The problem with threat being non-trivial is that it becomes the defining characteristic of the raid. Threat management was an ever-loving pain in the ass in Vanilla and BC. The dps of the entire raid being aggressively constrained by a single member is questionable design.
gibborim

Postby Fetzie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:07 pm

A hotfix will be applied to adjust how Vengeance stacks for tanks of all classes:

Vengeance should now ramp up more quickly. Avoidance will now grant Vengeance based on the average damage of the avoided NPC auto-attack, instead of just refreshing existing Vengeance. This does not apply to enemy special attacks.

This will be noted in the next hotfix update, but we wanted to let you know immediately, as this change will be applied sometime today.

Interesting :)
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm

gibborim wrote:The problem with threat being non-trivial is that it becomes the defining characteristic of the raid. Threat management was an ever-loving pain in the ass in Vanilla and BC. The dps of the entire raid being aggressively constrained by a single member is questionable design.

I think we are working from different definitions of the word trivial. I think there is a world of difference between trival and actually threatcapping folks. There is a ridiculous amount of room there to make threat interesting and not a pain. BC threat was actually reasonably solid until fairly late, which is what vengeance was eventually invented to address. Regardless that's a philisophical debate that we shouldn't digress into in this thread.

There is still the issue of the healing threat's effect on adds assuming it's actually behaving the way people are suggesting.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Pyrea wrote:
A hotfix will be applied to adjust how Vengeance stacks for tanks of all classes:

Vengeance should now ramp up more quickly. Avoidance will now grant Vengeance based on the average damage of the avoided NPC auto-attack, instead of just refreshing existing Vengeance. This does not apply to enemy special attacks.

This will be noted in the next hotfix update, but we wanted to let you know immediately, as this change will be applied sometime today.

Interesting :)

I *think* this is a good thing, since *most* boss specials are not avoidable anyway. This should just mean we get Vengeance credit for avoidance.

I am not sure, though, since if you have Vengeance from Big Boss Special that hit you, you want to refresh that as long as possible and not replace it with Vengeance based on Wimpy Boss Auto-Attack (not that we have the sort of avoidance to do that for any length of time).
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby PsiVen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:28 pm

It should smooth things out for streaks when starting from zero Vengeance. I imagine in cases where the boss melee is a relatively low percentage of the total damage, this will reduce Vengeance slightly on average. I'm okay with that if it means quicker ramp-ups from slow/no damage.

With respect to Will of the Emperor tank balance, we were fairly well matched as Prot/Feral on our kill tonight:
Psiven (P): 25408266 DT (34.3%) -- 14 strikes in 11:53
Slashlove (D): 22452867 DT (30.3%) -- 13 strikes in 11:53

I noticed that it was VERY important how I timed my ShoR for the short facepunch phases, and judicious use of Holy Avenger definitely helped. There was roughly a 10% difference here in damage taken. However, SoI + Battle Insight were responsible for about 6 million total healing. Seems like a fair trade-off, although the insane healing threat is very annoying for the Strength tank.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kihra » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 am

PsiVen wrote:I noticed that it was VERY important how I timed my ShoR for the short facepunch phases

Yeah, I think I underestimated just how much damage you can reduce if you play correctly instead of just punching the boss in the face with SotR whenever you can. :)
Kihra

Postby theckhd » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:18 pm

PsiVen wrote:I noticed that it was VERY important how I timed my ShoR for the short facepunch phases, and judicious use of Holy Avenger definitely helped. There was roughly a 10% difference here in damage taken. However, SoI + Battle Insight were responsible for about 6 million total healing. Seems like a fair trade-off, although the insane healing threat is very annoying for the Strength tank.

We actually un-glyphed Battle Healer for that fight, simply because it was causing more problems than it solved. The random aggro on adds led to one or two wipes before we decided the extra healing simply wasn't worth it.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Dantriges » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Wasn´t that before they changed the threat multipliers etc. I think at that point they said that they won´t keep threat as a meaningful mechanic. Wasn´t the introduction of active mitigation something that is supposed to replace threat as the thing tanks do?

Ok probably they don´t want paladins to be a black hole sucking in every add that is spawning so they probably change the seal.
Dantriges

Postby Fetzie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 pm

That was when they changed the threat modifiers, saying that this was the first step to changing the approach to tanking.

This is the post in question:
Given all of that, and watching how tanking has unfolded in Cataclysm, we’ve gotten over the concept that threat needs to be a major part of PvE gameplay. We have therefore decided to buff tank threat generation in a hotfix this week to where it’s generally not a major consideration. We expect the community to gradually stop using threat-tracking mods as players realize they don’t need them.

It’s an important distinction that the concept of “aggro” will still exist. If a DPS spec attacks an add the second it shows up, then the creature is going to come at her. However, if a tank gets an attack or two on a target, then the target should stick to the tank. Worrying about who has the creature’s attention should generally only be a concern at the start of a fight or when additional creatures join the battle. Worrying about a warrior or DK (the classes with nearly non-existent threat dumps) creeping up on tank threat after several minutes will almost certainly not be an issue any longer. (And if it is, we’ll have to make further adjustments.)

Ghostcrawler went on to talk about the "endgame" of their design:
You could argue that once threat is very easy to manage that a warrior tank could just go AFK. In reality, given today’s boss encounters, an AFK warrior would end up standing in the wrong place, missing a tank transition, or otherwise do something or fail to do something that wipes the party or raid.

That said, we ultimately don’t want tanking to be just standing there soaking boss hits and we would like to have more stats on gear that tanks care about. To solve those challenges, we want to shift more tank mitigation to require active management. We’ll still give all the tanks emergency cooldowns like Shield Wall and Survival Instincts. However, we want to move the shorter cooldowns like Shield Block, Holy Shield and Savage Defense so that they work more like Death Strike. Blood DKs have a lot of control over the survivability they get from Death Strike, but as part of that gameplay, they have to actually hit their target. The other three tanks will get similar active defense mechanics. This doesn’t mean everyone needs to use the DK model of self-healing, but they can use the DK model of managing resources to maximize survivability.

Source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1909 ... -midnight/

Fetzie

Postby Darielle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm

We actually un-glyphed Battle Healer for that fight, simply because it was causing more problems than it solved. The random aggro on adds led to one or two wipes before we decided the extra healing simply wasn't worth it.

This was a true story on Elegon.

Protector spawns.
*Psiven has 500k threat*
Growl + Faerie Fire
*Psiven has 800k threat*
WTF?
Mangle. It's not very effective. Psiven has 1.3 million threat.
Growl comes back up.

It hasn't happened again; so I think it was a combination of SoI/BI as well as just a realllllly perfectly timed Holy Prism, but random healing threat is slightly silly in general with this philosophy.

This is a side note, but for people who haven't cottoned on or are like "LOL Wrath, why Blizzard laugh at Paladins", getting Symbiosis from a Druid and Wrathing as Prot does ridiculous damage.
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations