Hotfixes...hotfixes...Always the hotfixes

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Hotfixes...hotfixes...Always the hotfixes

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:01 am

I'd still say with the 3-per-week limit, you're best off saving anything beyond what you use in Normal or Heroic so that when you're up to the full set of raids open you can still get as much out of them as possible. Yeah, for the people racing to world firsts getting any upgrades they can as soon as they can will be worthwhile, but that's a very small group.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I'd still say with the 3-per-week limit, you're best off saving anything beyond what you use in Normal or Heroic so that when you're up to the full set of raids open you can still get as much out of them as possible. Yeah, for the people racing to world firsts getting any upgrades they can as soon as they can will be worthwhile, but that's a very small group.

And of course, a good look at the loot tables to see what bosses you want to prioritize... hopefully there's not much if any of the shared loot table bs.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby PsiVen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Another hotfix today, this time a winner!

Avoidance will now increase Vengeance by an average hit's worth, instead of just refreshing the buff by an average of damage already taken. That should be a nice little buff, especially for Guardian Druids.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Darielle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:36 pm

~

Previous behaviour meant you could stand in Annihilate and use Dodging to get maximum duration out of insane Vengeance. It'll probably wash out even in general, but we'll see.

Although I am completely looking forward to how that's going to interact with Sha of Fear.
Darielle

Postby Darielle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:09 am

Seal of Insight is awesome. It's flipping annoying with random threat, but it is awesome.
Darielle

Postby Fenris » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:47 am

And now,they hotfixed the darkmoon card to make it less awful.

Relic of Niuzao
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Pruke » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 am

Fenris wrote:And now,they hotfixed the darkmoon card to make it less awful.

Relic of Niuzao

What are the changes? Im at work and pretty interested.
Pruke

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 am

added passive 1434 stamina
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Was this a hotfix I missed? It's already live (tooltip says 15%, actual stam bonus looks like 25%). I don't see any change since last Tuesday.

Guarded by the Light now increases your total Stamina by 25%, up from 15%.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Fenris » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm

PsiVen wrote:Was this a hotfix I missed? It's already live (tooltip says 15%, actual stam bonus looks like 25%). I don't see any change since last Tuesday.

Guarded by the Light now increases your total Stamina by 25%, up from 15%.

They never fixed the tooltip after changing the thing in the last weeks of the beta,seems they are doing it now /togheter with a ton of other tooltips updates from older/newer hotfixes)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 am

new one

We recently hotfixed the Windsong and Elemental Force weapon enchants to improve their performance for many users. The important part for most players is that Windsong is now is a useful enchant for all classes and specs, since it will trigger on all damage or healing, be it spell, melee, or ranged, and direct or periodic. Elemental Force will also trigger from all damage, so is useful for all damage dealers.

Additionally, these two enchants use a new system for triggering, which we wanted to give some details on. These are the gritty details, which you do not need to understand in order to use these enchants, but we wanted to detail for the benefit of the theorycrafting community. If mathy simulations and modeling aren’t your thing, none of this will matter much to you.

We have had various methods for triggering procs throughout WoW’s history. Most procs fall into two categories for the past few years:

Relatively high but static proc chance, with a significant cooldown. Most trinkets and caster procs fall into this category. For example, a trinket may have a 30% chance to proc on hit, with a 55sec cooldown. This lets us balance the trinket with a pretty safe assumption of procing about once per minute. Unfortunately, since it’s so reliable, it doesn’t really feel like a random proc, but rather like an On Use trinket that’s just on auto-cast. The uptime won’t increase significantly with any stats with this type of proc.
Relatively low proc chance with some normalization based on weapon speed, typically referred to as ‘PPM’ (procs per minute). Most melee weapon enchants fall into this category. For example, a weapon enchant may have 3 PPM. That checks your weapon speed, and gives your attacks a % chance based on that. If you have a 3.6speed weapon, your attacks will have a 3(PPM) * 3.6(weaponspeed) / 60 (sec per min) = 18% chance. All your white and yellow attacks with that weapon will have an 18% chance to trigger the enchant. Despite being supposedly ‘3 PPM’, that really will result in significantly more than 3 procs per minute, since all of the special attacks can proc it. Since there is no cooldown involved here, this type of enchant can feel random and streaky, instead of reliable. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing though, as you are just as likely to get lucky and get several procs in a row, which can be exciting. Some stats, primarily haste, will increase the frequency of these procs. However, since they vary heavily based on weapon speed, and how many special attacks you’re doing, these can procing significantly more or less for one class/spec/weapon than another, making them difficult to balance.

So, there are pros and cons of both of those types of procs. We’re trying a new system for these enchants. This new system, nicknamed Real PPM, aims to give the random nature of procs, the scaling with haste, and the ability for us to balance them assuming a standard proc frequency. Here’s the short version of how you can expect them to function:

Windsong is 2 Real PPM. Elemental Force is 10 Real PPM.
Regardless of how you’re attacking or healing, slow or fast, with DoTs or direct heals, whatever, you can expect to get the same proc frequency, on average.
Dual wielding and having both weapons enchanted with the same enchant will double the frequency of procs that you get.
This Real PPM is increased by your haste %. (The highest of your melee, ranged, or spell haste is chosen).
Simple as that. Whether you’re an Affliction Warlock dealing very frequent DoT ticks and Malefic Grasp ticks, or a Holy Paladin casting purely Holy Lights, or a Combat Rogue quickly attacking and using specials, or an Enhancement Shaman attacking with slow melee attacks and spells, or a Shadow Priest channeling Mind Sear on fifty Onyxian Whelps, you’ll get 2*Haste Windsong procs or 10*Haste Elemental Force procs per enchant per minute.
We’re excited to see how this proc system works out. If it works well, we may start using it for more types of procs. Feedback about how it feels is most welcome.

Here are even more nitty gritty details, if you’re interested:

It can proc from any damage/healing event. It keeps track of the last time it had a chance to proc for that enchant.
It calculates the difference in time since the last chance to proc. It uses that time to determine the chance for that event to trigger a proc.
For example, if you have 22% Haste, it was 1.4sec since the last chance to proc, and you’ve got Windsong, then the chance to proc is 2(ppm) * 1.22(haste) * 1.4(time since last chance) / 60 (sec per min) = 5.693%.
The ‘time since the last chance to proc’ is capped at 10sec, so that your first attack of a fight isn’t a guaranteed proc.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to post them here, and we’ll try to answer them.

I'm in the middle of a dota2 match so i've no time to try and understand it now XD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Hmm.. this is good, as I have both those enchants, and I don't have the Jadesongspiritwhatever..

I wonder how Windsong will now math out against Jade.

And.. that makes Elemental work for casters? hmm.. that might be better for an spriest.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Fetzie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Fenris wrote:new one

snip

I'm in the middle of a dota2 match so i've no time to try and understand it now XD

TLDR:

First system (ICD proc)
Effect occurs on a fairly consistent time-table. A quasi-/use buff on a regular cooldown, which does not require the player to activate it

Second system (PPM proc)
Effect occurs more randomly, proc chance is based on the Proc Per Minute rate and the amount of attacks (both melee and special) that you perform. Can proc back-to-back, during the previous effect, or not at all for a while. Is affected by haste, classes with higher attack speeds and more spammable special abilities tend to see more procs.

Third system ("real" PPM proc)
Chance to proc is higher if you have not had a proc for a while. Should result in a more predictable uptime than standard PPM, but still not as regular as the ICD proc. Is affected by haste, but should not give high APS classes an increased benefit from the enchant when compared to other classes.

I think that is about right.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Fenris » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:34 am

From the official forum (yeah,yeah,i know...)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 856?page=1

I can't see if that's true because i can't log right now

But if it is....meh....
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 am

Pyrea wrote:Third system ("real" PPM proc)
Chance to proc is higher if you have not had a proc for a while. Should result in a more predictable uptime than standard PPM, but still not as regular as the ICD proc. Is affected by haste, but should not give high APS classes an increased benefit from the enchant when compared to other classes.

I think that is about right.

That's not quite how it works. The chance to proc is based on the time since the last eligible event, not the last proc.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to General