[10N] Elegon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10N] Elegon

Postby Juugimus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:22 am

Will pull this boss next. Anyone know the DPS requirements? Any tips on killing the energy charges?

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Re: [10N] Elegon

Postby daishan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:27 am

We haven't pulled it yet (first raid night was a little messy) but will be on Sun.
Stalking logs from other guilds on the server they seem to be 2 healing it and wiping to berserk at 20% with about 60kdps average (including tanks).
I've read that splitting your dps into 2 groups one for each side and getting as much cleave / short multi dotting as you can.
Also seen ppl blowing hero on the first draw power to get extra stacks on him early, I can't decide if that's worth it or not guess it'll depend if it gets us an extra set of charges or 2 down.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Bellanka » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:33 am

We had two main DPS out last night and brought in an OffSpec and a Non-Raider and we were nowhere near beating the enrage timer ... this is a brutal fight.

I crashed and forgot to turn logging back on, so no logs from last night ... but we had our rogue at 95k, me and the monk tank at 85 and 80k, Frost DK, Ele Shaman and Hunter at 75-80k and then a Shadow OS Healer at 65k and a non-Raider we brought in to replace our sick Boomkin at 60k (still baffled on that one ...) and we were still ~30% behind.

Killing the energy charges is a lot easier is both tanks have vengeance - I was using unglyphed AS to hit all 3 each time they popped (we did 3 waves, boss DPS phase, generators, repeat) as well as keeping up consecrate under their spawn area and HW before they got too spread apart, judging the Ele Shaman's to help her get it down in time once the tank spark was dead.

We hit enrage on most of our attempts, and our best ended with the DPS I listed above and 28% to go.
Last edited by Bellanka on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:48 am

Good idea having AS un-glyphed, could the tank on the boss run after a charge or still need to keep melee range with the boss?
I'm thinking glyph of final wrath should be strong with the buff HW got and all the stacks the boss will have sub 20%.
I miss remembered numbers looking at logs again it's closer to 8 ppl averaging 69kdps and hitting enrage st 25% boss hp.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Bellanka » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:00 am

The boss doesn't require tanking during Spark Phase. It's in a stunned/burn state.

I changed it a bit from this very informative graphical representation of Elegon and his platform:

How I set it up was:
1: RDPS (hunter)
2: RDPS (Ele Shaman)
3: RDPS (SPriest)
4: MDPS (Tanks)
5: RDPS (Mage)
6: MDPS (Frost DK)

And we left our insanely heavy DPSing Rogue on Elegon the whole time. Once both tanks finished our spark he went right to help the Ele Shaman and I went left to help the Frost DK.

Something else to consider: Holy Prism and Glyph of Battle Healer are HUGE for 2-healing this fight. I was doing 16k HPS and saved the melee more than once.

EDIT: Added our old strat image since formatting is borked.
Evangelyna
Raid Leader/Main Tank
SWARM, Alterac Mountains
Bellanka
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 am

Haha pro graphic :D
Agree with you on the glyphs, I'm planning alabaster shield, battle healer, and final wrath.
I've had slightly crazy thoughts about gearing for haste for more dps and more healing for a small increase in total dmg intake. Also going to drop exp hard cap as the adds are only Lvl 92.
Daishan
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 am

The kills I have seen averaged above 90k DPS and said they needed to kill 8 waves of adds, which looked reasonable from our attempts last night. We haven't yet been able to push P1 before the third add spawns, which I think was severely holding us back from surviving the sparks.

I doubt Heroism on the energy charges would let you get more than a single extra stack. That would mean 6/11 stacks instead of 5/10, which may be close to the same DPS overall, but it won't help the healers nearly as much.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Juugimus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:52 am

Great tips.

I'm thinking about making a macro to target myself and cast holy prism to do a little more AoE on the adds while they are grouped up, also (maybe) thinking of switching to SoR during the beginning of the sparks while clumped to put a little more damage on them.

So it seems that the keys to the fight are:

1. Being able to push P1 before the third add spawns
2. Being able to get 8 stacks on the boss.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Metherlance » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 am

Our setup was:
Tanks: monk, paladin
Healers: 2 holy paladins
DPS: hunter, ele shaman, combat rogue, fire mage, ret paladin and a disc priest mainly smiting/healing when needed

stack em paladins :twisted:

Basically we had all the buffs/debuffs you can get in 10m.

Main things were to get spark phase before 3rd add spawns and kill 4 waves on both spark phase. On the normal phase after first spark phase, we made it with 3 adds.

On first phase second add is killed in melee with cleaving the boss, and as soon as the add starts pulsing focus it down, on the second normal phase the third one with same deal. Prepare to use lots of raid cooldowns though, the explosion is a killer within the circle.

We just then used heroism when burn phase started and killed the mofo.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby Gab » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 am

Got in a few pulls (3-4) last night after downing kings and the PITA Warden trash.

Question about the protectors. The protectors have a 50% damage buff while being tanked inside the inner ring, we decided to try to pull the protectors out of the inner ring for the Total Anhilation cast to drop the buff. On one of our attempts I failed to get the protector out of the ring before TA but the buff seemed to fall of regardless as soon as TA cast started. Is it necessary to remove the protector from the inner ring (doesn't look like it)? Also does proximity to the add have anything to do with TA or Stability Flux damage (didn't seem to)?

Metherlance wrote:On first phase second add is killed in melee with cleaving the boss, and as soon as the add starts pulsing focus it down, on the second normal phase the third one with same deal. Prepare to use lots of raid cooldowns though, the explosion is a killer within the circle

Did the melee and off tank reset their stacks at all before the final TA or were personel/raid cds enough?

Edit: Going through several WoL parses I can't seem to find the protectors gaining any buff other than Stability Flux... maybe I was tired?
Gab

Postby Kishandra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Not sure how well it translates into 10m, but our kill on 25m had 17 dps with an average of 116k (min 101k and max 133k.) We did 6 and 5 waves of sparks.

I theorycrafted that if healers could keep the raid up, ignoring all sparks on the second phase 2 is actually a dps gain (you get maybe 90 seconds of burn at the end if you do 6/5 with the boss taking 165% damage. Or, if you skip the entire second phase 2, you get a full minute worth of extra burn with 6/0 sparks but the boss is only taking 140% damage. 150 seconds of 140% damage trumps 90 seconds of 165% damage easily, it's just a matter of healing.)

Don't use hero on the sparks.
Kishandra

Postby Metherlance » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:47 am

Gab wrote:
Did the melee and off tank reset their stacks at all before the final TA or were personel/raid cds enough?

Edit: Going through several WoL parses I can't seem to find the protectors gaining any buff other than Stability Flux... maybe I was tired?

Yeah everyone (except tank/tanks depending the situation) should reset the stacks before the explosion. Even with cd's it drops the raid to ~5%. :)
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby stevos » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:49 pm

How many stacks is it safe to take at the various phases both for tanks and dps/healers?
stevos

Postby daishan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am

Not killed it yet got close last night, had several ppl dc'ing then been in a different instance when they got back >.< if that happens to you get them to ninja pull boss and die then run in dw the boss won't come after anyone else.
Tank stacks where more or less dictated by when the add spawned and how long it took to kite it out and kill it. We had the OT pull I'd wait 5 sec out side ring then run in take boss add would spawn OT takes add out melee follows killing as they go then reset as add dies and back to boss, the OT would take the boss straight back to let me reset stacks before he needed to take the next add. Anything above 8 is a little harsh if your tanking the boss. Ranged and healers can just stand on the very edge of the ring and jump to reset stacks.
In the draw power phase try to remember to nip out of the ring as you kill each charge to help save healer mana.
SoI and battle healer glyph be op when stacked in last burn phase I peaked at 160khps O.o
Sry if that's all a little random writing from a smart phone.

Edit: tanks wouldn't normally take more than 9 stacks use cd's if your going to take a breath or TA with more than 8 stacks.
Melee would be taking similar stacks with how we had them killing the protectors (ranged stayed on boss as 3 melee was more than enough for the add) I'm sure melee could take more np especially dk's.
Ranged and healers can reset so easily I don't think they took more than 5 stacks very often.
Daishan
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Auracle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:45 am

We got this down a couple of days ago, figured I'd share some strategy tips and info we found useful.

2 tanks
2 heals
6 dps (2 melee, 4 ranged)

Consider the fight broken into 3 main phases, of which the first two are broken into 3 sub-phases, denoted by Protectors, Orbs and Pylons.

100 - 85% :
1st subphase - protectors
Only have 2 protectors during this phase, we found this was needed for us to beat the enrage.
Protectors must die outside the buffzone, and must die giving off no more than 2 - 4 pulses of AoE (basically, nuke the hell out of them when they get to ~35%).
All players should take care to reset their damage-taken debuff when the Protector's health reaches 35%, this will ensure no one's stacks are 'too high' when it blows up.
We found that anyhting higher than 6 stacks was causing mana issue over time for the healers.
We kept melee on boss (except for a quick run-out for debuff reset), and let the ranged nuke the add.

2nd sub-phase - Orbs
We assigned a player to one orb each, letting each tank take one, each melee take one, one ranged take one each, leaving 2 ranged (our dotters) to float freely on one side each. Since due to comp we lacked good AoE burst capability, we balanced this out with the floating ranged DPS to ensure we got each wave down in time.
We found that 4 waves on each of these sub-phases was necessary for OUR overall dps to make the enrage timer.
I cannot stress enough - this phase is NOT only about DPSing orbs, when you down them your dps must immediately be back on boss and pushing him.
From the second this phase triggers @ 85%, until he becomes immune going into sub-phase 3, we pushed him to 75%.

3rd Sub-phase - Pylons
Like the orbs, we assigned one player to each pylon with a floating ranged DPS.
We placed the tank for each side on the middle pylon so he could easily pick up mobs that spawned anywhere.
We got all pylons down within 10 secs of one another (incidentally, this is the achievement, but this is also a huge benefit to your raid since it reduces the time he has to use the damage/speed buff).
We would then rendezvous at the 'top' of the ring and allow our 'add tank' (arbitrarily assigned) to collect all the mobs.
Move onto the floor as soon as it re-appears, not a moment later.
Nuke down the adds, proceed with the 2nd phase.

From here on the fight is more or less the same, as you might imagine. Some tidbits:
75 - 50% life: 3 protectors only, using a raid CD for each explosion, otherwise start is same as the first phase.
50% - ~37%(varied per attempt): Orb and Pylon subphases handled in the exact same manner.
~37% - kill: Run in and stack on the boss at the end of the 3rd subphase, we had our DK tank pop army here w/o glyph so it was taunting the mobs, helpful for damage reduction, and nuked them down fast. Once the last add died we popped heroism and rotated CDs until he died.
Tanks will want to save a major if they have it for <10% life.
You may also want a major life-giving (tranq, divine hymn) raid CD for <10%.

Hope this is useful, good luck out there!

-Auracle
Auracle

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)