Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Schroom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:51 am

hehe never sella trinket ^^ even at a later expansion it could be great.

eg: sindragosa 25 HM Trinket for yorshaj was amazing.
Schroom

Postby Marilee » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:36 am

To answer myself, Theck made a new blog post that sums things up nicely as well. ;)
http://sacredduty.net/2012/08/27/patch-5-0-4-round-up/
Marilee

Postby Sagara » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 am

All heil the mighty Theck, wielder of the MATLAB.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby econ21 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Oh dear - I just logged on post-patch and started to think about reforging my gear to meet the hit and expertise caps. Then I found I had not reforged out of hit and expertise, so there were no easy gains to be made by reversing that. Worse still, almost none of my gear actually has any hit or expertise - I've been so successful in picking mastery/avoidance gear, I only have the tier gloves and twilight claw ring with any noticeable threat stats on. Getting hit/expertise capped is going to be harder than I anticipated...

I'll have to start looking at my previous threat sets, but they included markedly lower ilevel pieces.
econ21

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:41 am

It's not that hard to get exp/hit capped even with current gear. Sure, you may sacrifice some dodge/parry/mastery, but the trade off in better HP generation is well worth it.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 am

Yes, you are right. I think the psychological problem for me came from pre-5.0.4 when keeping at 102.4% was all and so the hit cap looked unobtainable, at least at my gear level. Once you get out of that mindset and reforge some avoidance/mastery, it's fine. In fact, I am looking sadly at my epic mastery gems and thinking "what a waste". Stamina ones look more attractive.
econ21

Postby Owalaz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am

Hello, I was wondering if i reforged and gemmed my toon correctly after the pre mists patch. my armory link is http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/u ... din/simple Ive read four to five diffrent guides and ive no clue anymore. My guild is going through DS still till mists hits
Owalaz

Postby Sagara » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:19 am

From your stats, I see a focus on the mastery side of things (have you read theck's topic on the subject back on Sacred Duty? Excellent read).

Going down to number crunching - I remember the hit/exp caps being at 7,5%, and you're a bit over it on exp (not that bad), but a bit low on hit. You're looking decent, but you could push it a little further by moving exp -> hit.
Also, avoid Parry gems and try to go for Exp gems.
Your health is in a good place, and it's a bit late to swap all your gemming to go for a mastery/Stamina trinket combo, so don't bother.
Should you have the luck, try and push for the 4-set, which is teh awesum. In fact, if your team is serious about still downing HC Mor'chok, try and get all 5 pieces - Chocky drops nice shoulders for us.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Resolute » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:44 am

Folks, seems my Pally is not very threatening. I have trouble taunting and keeping threat in general. I figured out one problem (Lock pet was causing aggro issues) but in general something seems off. I am using the standard rotation. Could it be my build? Here is a link to my armory.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Res%c3%b5lute/simple
Resolute

Postby Nooska » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 am

Resolute wrote:Folks, seems my Pally is not very threatening. I have trouble taunting and keeping threat in general. I figured out one problem (Lock pet was causing aggro issues) but in general something seems off. I am using the standard rotation. Could it be my build? Here is a link to my armory.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/doomhammer/Res%c3%b5lute/simple

Sanity Check, do you remember to have Righteous Fury up?
What is the standard rotation you speak of (i.e. what do you actually do)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Resolute » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 am

Thanks Nooska

I do have RF up. It's a great question to ask. I will admit that after rolling Ret for so long the first time I tanked I had forgotten it. Not pretty.

This is the rotation I am using. I pulled it from the 5.0.4 Prot Pally thread on EJ. I am also using their AoE rotation as well for AoE tanking.
CS – J - AS – CS – J – CS – Cons - HW
Resolute

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:47 am

Honestly "build" doesn't make much difference at all in 5.0. You have everything you need to tank before you even add in glyphs and talents. Your hit/expertise levels might make a difference but threat shouldn't be a big issue with the 5x threat modifier. AoE might be a different matter depending on who you're up against.

If you're doing the exact rotation you listed then you have an empty GCD between the 2nd CS and 2nd Judgement. The basic structure of the rotation is:
CS-J-X-CS-X-J-CS-X-X then repeat.
X is replaced by AS>Cons>HW (or SS refresh).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shieldeah » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:46 am

Hi! This thread hasn't been used in a bit so I'm here to disturb that. :D
I'm looking to optimize my gear setup when it comes to reforging, I'm still missing a few pieces here and there to actually complete my tanking set. I'm not sure if I should keep reforging for hit *edit: I'm now hitcapped for the moment* or if I should start reforging for more mastery or expertise, here's my armory, btw, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... die/simple
Shieldeah

Postby daishan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:50 am

Personally I'm going for hit and exp soft caps as I just like the extra control so much.
I've been very lucky with gear, as much as I dislike the idea of the BMAH I'll take any advantage I can get. I've gone for mastery heavy gemming, but I'm starting to think gemming for stam might be better for hm's (hopefully next week).
Here's my armoury I'm a little high on hit and exp atm http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... n/advanced
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:18 pm

pvp gear seems to be the best pre-raid alternative. Anyone know how strong the 4 piece ret pvp bonus ist for tanks? 1 free Holypower every 8 seconds seems really really strong
Schroom

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice