Remove Advertisements

What seal with the 10.3.12 hotfix?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

What seal with the 10.3.12 hotfix?

Postby Chronos » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 pm

What seal should we use? SOT dmg nerfed by 80%, SoR > SoT for dmg output now? Not sure if the tooltip reflects the change yet or not, don't remember what it used to be. Not really wanting to use SoI.

Ty
Chronos
Chronos

Re: What seal with the 10.3.12 hotfix?

Postby Torquemada » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 pm

Short version via TheckMath(TM): SoT is a better single target damage seal. SoR doesn't pull ahead until you're at 3+ mobs, and then, only if you can't find a way to stack Censure on all 3+ of them. For more info, click here: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32805&start=90#p742518.
A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson
Torquemada

Postby Extermi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 am

My recommendation:

1) Use SoL (just eat it *g*)
2) Equip Battle Healer Glyph
3) Top the healing charts in Heroics ;-)

Extermi
Extermi

Postby Winkle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:22 am

Seal of Light also seems to generate considerably more threat than SoT. I thought healing threat was reduced by 90% some time ago but i definitely noticed a considerable change to my threat when i switched mid way through a MV run.
Winkle

Postby theckhd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 am

Extermi wrote:My recommendation:

1) Use SoL (just eat it *g*)
2) Equip Battle Healer Glyph
3) Top the healing charts in Heroics ;-)

Extermi

Battle Healer is good, but it's not that good. I did notice that I was worth about half a healer in the heroics I did last night though, which is pretty impressive. If your healer can put up some DoTs or something with those spare GCDs, it might be a net DPS gain for the group in challenge modes.

Winkle wrote:Seal of Light also seems to generate considerably more threat than SoT. I thought healing threat was reduced by 90% some time ago but i definitely noticed a considerable change to my threat when i switched mid way through a MV run.

It probably does now. If I recall correctly, healing threat is ~50% for most abilities (paging Dr. Jere?). Or 25%. Even at 25%, SoI will out-threat SoT+Censure. It seems like the Battle Healer glyph grants threat too. On Darkmaster Gandling last night, doing the achievement, I literally had to do nothing to pull the adds off of my healer. Battle Healer + SoI was doing enough threat that they just came straight to me.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Sagara » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:44 am

theckhd wrote:
Winkle wrote:Seal of Light also seems to generate considerably more threat than SoT. I thought healing threat was reduced by 90% some time ago but i definitely noticed a considerable change to my threat when i switched mid way through a MV run.

It probably does now. If I recall correctly, healing threat is ~50% for most abilities (paging Dr. Jere?). Or 25%. Even at 25%, SoI will out-threat SoT+Censure. It seems like the Battle Healer glyph grants threat too. On Darkmaster Gandling last night, doing the achievement, I literally had to do nothing to pull the adds off of my healer. Battle Healer + SoI was doing enough threat that they just came straight to me.

Now this is the kind of stupid side-effects that is

a) totally awesome
b) nerfed to Hell and certainly never back
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:54 am

theckhd wrote:Battle Healer is good, but it's not that good. I did notice that I was worth about half a healer in the heroics I did last night though, which is pretty impressive. If your healer can put up some DoTs or something with those spare GCDs, it might be a net DPS gain for the group in challenge modes.

The groups running Challenge Mode golds atm are mostly using 4 dps groups, so any self healing like that is an advantage.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby jere » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 am

I can't check my notes at the moment cause it is blocked from here, but I believe SoI heals were at 50% (basically all heals but a select few were 50% and those select few were 0%...though now Lights Hammer is 25%, but I think that is a bug).

I'll check my posting at Tankspot when I get home today.
jere

Postby theckhd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:18 am

theckhd wrote:On Darkmaster Gandling last night, doing the achievement, I literally had to do nothing to pull the adds off of my healer. Battle Healer + SoI was doing enough threat that they just came straight to me.

Interesting implication of this: Using SoI+GoBH means never having to worry about adds on the healer. You will automatically generate enough threat to pull them off a healer just by attacking. Completely trivializes the "pick up new adds" mechanic.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fetzie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:41 am

jere wrote:I can't check my notes at the moment cause it is blocked from here, but I believe SoI heals were at 50% (basically all heals but a select few were 50% and those select few were 0%...though now Lights Hammer is 25%, but I think that is a bug).

I'll check my posting at Tankspot when I get home today.

jere@tankspot wrote:
Code: Select all
SoI Healing      heal*2.50     heal*0.50
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby jere » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 am

So then yeah, a 50% modifier (or 250% if you lump it with RF). Thanks Pyrea.
jere

Postby Extermi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:24 am

theckhd wrote:Interesting implication of this: Using SoI+GoBH means never having to worry about adds on the healer. You will automatically generate enough threat to pull them off a healer just by attacking. Completely trivializes the "pick up new adds" mechanic.

So no more need for Warlocks one can offheal like in the SSC days ;-)

Honestly, this is really strong, and probably will see a nerf once exploited. This is like a perma warbanner pointing directly to the tank.

Extermi
Extermi

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:35 am

Well if I'm understanding this all correctly, it is another indication that Insight was not meant to be the primary taking seal. They have been through this healing mechanic and the problematic threat generation before with judgement of light.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:38 am

Sounds a lot like it. Calling it now (and BOY are they going to eat flak for that):

SoI no longer generates threat for Protection Paladin.

Primary tanking seal my plot.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby angelflavor » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:47 am

Sagara wrote:Sounds a lot like it. Calling it now (and BOY are they going to eat flak for that):

SoI no longer generates threat for Protection Paladin.

Primary tanking seal my plot.

*face palm* O how I wish this wasn't going to be true, but I feel it coming.
Warning: Experimental Tank
"Warriors make you Sap. Paladins let you Sap"
angelflavor

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations