Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Amirya » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:16 am

I just want to know who said that about Levie!

Mostly so I can /point and /laugh

(Also, I remembered yesterday how much fun it is to troll bldavis. "Why no, I don't know what the Princess Bride movie thing is.")
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Invisusira

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Holy Carp profession leveling!

Enchanting: 525 to 600 in 15mins using 75% of the matts I had collected in the past week through questing, and 1000g worth of Shards from the AH.
JC: 525 to 595 in 10mins. Just got to do the daily research for the next few days to ding.

Redonkulous.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Invisusira wrote:/imgsnip

To be fair, most of those are just bread crumbs to the various rep dailies.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Big exam that I was semi concerned about for one of my subjects is multiple choice. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha ded.

Incoming High Distinction.
Levantine

Postby Sagara » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:56 am

See the Justice Point thingie.

See my 4000 Justice/Honor point stock, fresh from vacation.

Onwards to 90!
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 am

I was told today that we are going to start looking at a new server, desktops, and a securty system that we install here. They said:

"You can install all that, and make it work right?"

LULZ.

Yes. The Web / Graphic Designer that you hired who is able to keep a server running, and do minor maintenance can totally single handedly do all this...
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 am

Ask them if they're capable of giving you a raise.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 am

Nikachelle wrote:Ask them if they're capable of giving you a raise.

My heart just stopped.

What's a raise?
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:40 am

Shoju wrote:

My heart just stopped.

What's a raise?

Kind of my point, unfortunately. :( If they want you to do all that, the least they can do is line your pockets a bit more.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Shoju wrote:

My heart just stopped.

What's a raise?

Kind of my point, unfortunately. :( If they want you to do all that, the least they can do is line your pockets a bit more.

Yeah, I wish they would/could. Hell, I'd be happy with them saying "We will give you the 3.5 hours a week you need to meet Full Time so that you can have Benefits and Paid Time Off.
Shoju

Postby Cogglamp » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 am

Which is in a sense, a raise. You have some leverage, my advice would be to use it. The worst they can do is say no.
Cogglamp

Postby halabar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:41 am

Cogglamp wrote:Which is in a sense, a raise. You have some leverage, my advice would be to use it. The worst they can do is say no.

Only one way he'll get a raise and a full time gig. Have a job offer in the pocket, go talk to the boss and be prepared to accept the other offer on the spot. They won't miss him until he's gone, and have no idea how much he is doing, or what it should cost.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Cogglamp » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:54 am

I'm going to have to disagree with Dolly Parton, Bob.

"You're correct, X gets the square! Thanks for playing Hollywood Squares."

You can go at it tactfully. Realizing that businesses are still struggling, you can point out that you're doing the work of 1.5 or 2 or 2.5 but you're committed to the job and success of the company.

Get an idea of how much it would cost to have another part time person be paid or outside consultant to do that task and then do a calculation on how much you can save the company by keeping it in house. The savings would be the annualized cost less the requested annual increase in pay or benefits. You could state that you'd be willing to set up an LLC and do the work as a consultant (and get paid as one) so that you're helping them with payroll taxes as the consultant fees aren't attributed to payroll.

Do the cost calculation for them. I'm not going to give someone a raise because they ask for it. I'm going to give someone a raise who shows me why they deserve it.

You're probably not going to get both full time and a raise so you can bargain for one or the other.
Cogglamp

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Cogglamp wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with Dolly Parton, Bob.

"You're correct, X gets the square! Thanks for playing Hollywood Squares."

You can go at it tactfully. Realizing that businesses are still struggling, you can point out that you're doing the work of 1.5 or 2 or 2.5 but you're committed to the job and success of the company.

Get an idea of how much it would cost to have another part time person be paid or outside consultant to do that task and then do a calculation on how much you can save the company by keeping it in house. The savings would be the annualized cost less the requested annual increase in pay or benefits. You could state that you'd be willing to set up an LLC and do the work as a consultant (and get paid as one) so that you're helping them with payroll taxes as the consultant fees aren't attributed to payroll.

Do the cost calculation for them. I'm not going to give someone a raise because they ask for it. I'm going to give someone a raise who shows me why they deserve it.

You're probably not going to get both full time and a raise so you can bargain for one or the other.

The big problem is, I don't know if anyone would care about the cost. I'm here, and do the job, and I think Hal's right, it would have to be the threat of me actually moving on that motivates them. They know the job market sucks, and they know that's why I'm still here. This was supposed to just be a resume building 1 yr contract gig after graduating. Then the 08 economy dive hit, and I've been here since.

I'm
The Graphic Designer
The Web Designer
The Web Admin
The Social Media Guy
The IT Technical Support
The Network guy
The Internet / Phone Order Sales Rep
The Shipping Department
The Security Guy

And I do it all in 36.5 hours a week. If I had even a part time Aide, things would be a million times better. I leave work every day, with projects that I have to finish the next day, or things that get tabled for a slow day, or my white board filled with an ever changing list of things to get done in order. Caught up is not a word I'm familiar with.

The biggest problem is, the owner is an older gentleman. He made his money in a brick and mortar store. They didn't have ONE computer until 2003. When I started here in early 2008, they had 3 computers. I still get a hand written paycheck every week. We have ~20-25 employees. This place is old school, and very resistant to change. I'm slowly trying to modernize the company, but there is much resistance.

We have ~12 computers, an older Dell File Sharing Server (with some basic policies to make my life easier), and a DVR based Security Camera system. We operate our own web site for sales, eBay, we have a twitter (often neglected, since our clientele isn't the... 'twitter type', Facebook, and we're growing. The site went live end of summer 08, and every year we have doubled our online sales. This year, If we can finish strong, we could actually hit 2.5x what we did last year, which would be great.

I know that my time with the company is coming to a close. I'm at the upper end of what I can make, they are resistant to make me a full time employee, and that's the way it is. My wife graduated, and has a job, and I'm looking for jobs, but I've been picky so far. I do enjoy some of the things that my job allows me. The Creative Freedom when I get to flex my creative muscle is fun.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General