Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:01 am

I'll agree to disagree, but let's not take inaccurate and unfair jabs as we walk away. I'm not ignoring your mentioning of the other games. My point is simple math, I don't think most games have had big problem. There has been about 45 games played. I've heard significant complaints about maybe half a dozen give or take, and I think some of those are debatable.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm

What? Shoju hasn't written 5,000 words yet about Acta being fired?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

halabar wrote:What? Shoju hasn't written 5,000 words yet about Acta being fired?

I guess he's too shocked he was fired before Bobby V

... or celebrating~
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
halabar wrote:What? Shoju hasn't written 5,000 words yet about Acta being fired?

I guess he's too shocked he was fired before Bobby V

... or celebrating~

Actually I think his wife's surgery is today, but still, Acta was fired...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 am

Wife had surgery yesterday, I was busy.

I don't need to write 5,000 words. Here is my whole diatribe on it.

Thank God he is gone. I'm really interested to see if they give Sandy a fair shake, but I'm interested in the reports that they are going to make a run at Francona as well. Sandy is as beloved of a figure in Cleveland as you could find for a former Indian, and word is, a lot of people (not just Acta) think he has what it takes to be a great manager in the league.

I don't think 6 games will be enough to evaluate him as a manager. Fans will be happy with either hiring, it will really come down to who can get the job done.

Fridmarr wrote:I'll agree to disagree, but let's not take inaccurate and unfair jabs as we walk away. I'm not ignoring your mentioning of the other games. My point is simple math, I don't think most games have had big problem. There has been about 45 games played. I've heard significant complaints about maybe half a dozen give or take, and I think some of those are debatable.

I think it's probably best if I just ignore you for a while. Over the past couple of months, I've become irritated with my interactions with you to the point that I just don't think I can be civil.

On the other hand, the game last night was good. Browns lost, the Black and Whites didn't screw up the game, and it was done in a lot less time.

Though I think of all the nicknames that I've given Brandon Weeden, I think the one I put on twitter last night is my favorite.

Brandon Weelchair.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:39 am

They were giving some numbers. The NFL placed the ref lockout over 0.65% of their total income.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Klaudandus wrote:They were giving some numbers. The NFL placed the ref lockout over 0.65% of their total income.
Various flavors of that number has been repeated a lot. Really though it's meaningless. The NFL (or any business entity) isn't going to pay above what they deem fair market value for something just because they have a lot of money. That is just poor business sense.

Now you can certainly argue that the NFL undervalued the refs or perhaps overvalued what the replacements would bring to the table, but that's a totally different point.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:33 pm

I am sorry, but when you're income is 10 billion dollars and you squabble over 16 million... it's like me arguing over spending extra 65 cents on a pack of gums when I just got a 100 bucks.

Lousy way to damage your credibility with everyone over 0.65%
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:47 pm

.65% of your income is probably not trivial. I mean to someone making 50,000 that's 3,250... that matters. 16 million dollars matters a hell of lot, even if you earn 10 billion. There is a lot of power there.

Now when you talk about damaged credibility that's a cost, and I think you can easily make the argument that the NFL didn't predict the costs accurately or at least that their gamble on the costs failed, or they would not have given in. It cost them more than they expected and it probably wasn't worth it for them in hindsight. But the notion that they should have just given in to a demand up front because they had plenty of money to cover it is really pretty silly. No one should be expected to do that, and almost no one does. In fact I'm willing to bet if the averaged Joe into a store to buy a pack of gum that cost 79 cents, and the clerk said, you know what you look like you have a good bit of money I'd like you to pay 1.25, everybody would think he's nuts and walk out and go somewhere else, even though that amount of money truly is trivial to them.

The NFL thought that they could do the same thing, they just miscalculated and the other stores didn't have the right kind of gum. However, had the replacement refs panned out, then they'd have 16 million more dollars which isn't chump change, not to mention far more control over their officials.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby theckhd » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Fridmarr wrote:.65% of your income is probably not trivial. I mean to someone making 50,000 that's 3,250... that matters. 16 million dollars matters a hell of lot, even if you earn 10 billion. There is a lot of power there.

Um. 0.65% of $50,000 is $325.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Also, the 16 million dollars is with the new deal, before, it was 6 million.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Oops my bad on the math (shorted a decimal spot there), though to be honest I don't think that changes anything. Suggesting that they should have paid more than they thought it was worth simply because they can afford it is not sound business logic.

I get that you believe that their risk to reward ratio was off, and that's a totally fair criticism.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 am

Who would have thought that after the first 4 weeks of the season, Browns Fans could feel better about their team than Jets Fans. Yeah, they won a game.... But at least we sort of, kind of play like a team with.... improvement. They have looked worse each week.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 am

Shoju wrote:Who would have thought that after the first 4 weeks of the season, Browns Fans could feel better about their team than Jets Fans. Yeah, they won a game.... But at least we sort of, kind of play like a team with.... improvement. They have looked worse each week.

They could improve if they start tebow!
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General