Remove Advertisements

5.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 5.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics

Postby theckhd » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 am

knaughty wrote:
DisRuptive1 wrote:According to Theck, Consecration being ahead of Avenger's Shield (when the proc isn't up) is a slight DPS increase.

Yes, in theory something like ^WB>CS>J>AS+>Cons>^SS>AS>HW>SotR is optimal.

However, it's single-figure percentages better than just binding similar to this:
  1. CS (shift/alt/ctrl for HotR)
  2. Judge
  3. Avenger's Shield
  4. Consecrate (shift/alt/ctrl for SS)
  5. Holy Wrath
  6. ShoR (shift/alt/ctrl for WoG)
Your rotation then becomes "hit the leftmost ability that's available". My (very strong) opinion is that clean execution of a simpler rotation will do more DPS than sketch execution of a complex rotation.

I have to second this. For my work, people do care about the absolute maximum DPS you can pull, because there are players who are playing at that level reading it. Sort of like how Ret paladins in top-50 guilds will do something very complex for a 0.5% damage increase. At their level of competition, it actually matters, and they have the skill to pull it off.

For someone reading the Basic Training forum, the increase of AS+>Cons>AS or Cons>AS is minute enough that it won't matter. It's more important that they execute a simpler (and potentially slightly-lower DPS) rotation than flub the more complicated one.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby econ21 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 am

Great work, thanks.

Some suggestions for the add-ons section, rather obvious:

Deadly Boss Mods or other raid encounter warning add-on - a new tank who does not use one of these is likely to be abused (typical boss briefing nowadays is "run away when DBM tells you to")

Omen - with the vengeance changes, I think tank swops got tricky again: we probably have to hold dps, certainly special moves, after the other tank has taunted off us.

Threatplates - personal recommendation, but having enlarged nameplates on mobs you've lost threat on is awesome for trash

Weakauras (or power auras) - again personal recommendation, but these are now my favorite kind of add-ons. Almost like a personal programmable DBM, you can customise the game to tell you all sorts of information about your rotation, status, targets etc (most basic and useful for me is a sound effect to notify 5 HoPo). You could link Theck's strings on his blog.

CLCRet - for off spec only, but great for when you are not the tank and used by some top end Retadins. An alternative place to mention this might be the section on levelling as Ret.
econ21

Postby DisRuptive1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:42 pm

I really wouldn't focus on mods unless they are absolutely necessary to just not be a bad player. For that, I would really only recommend Deadly Boss Mods (or equivalent) and GTFO. Deadly Boss Mods tells you when stuff is coming up and GTFO tells you when you're standing in fire (by playing a loud, distinctive noise). Even Omen might not be entirely necessary as the information is already presented to you on the targeting frame. Every other mod is just for convenience and for that you can recommend the Curse client so people can browse, easily install, and upgrade any mods they want.

Will any mention be made about the optimal ratio of Parry to Dodge (3.563)? It's basically free avoidance solely from reforging. Based on your stat recommendations, players will want to reforge Parry/Dodge to Mastery (or to Hit/Expertise if not capped). Knowing which stat on an item that might have both Parry and Dodge will minimize the amount of avoidance lost in order to increase Mastery.
DisRuptive1

Postby Meloree » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:41 am

theckhd wrote:
knaughty wrote:
DisRuptive1 wrote:My (very strong) opinion is that clean execution of a simpler rotation will do more DPS than sketch execution of a complex rotation.

I have to second this. For my work, people do care about the absolute maximum DPS you can pull, because there are players who are playing at that level reading it.

For someone reading the Basic Training forum, the increase of AS+>Cons>AS or Cons>AS is minute enough that it won't matter. It's more important that they execute a simpler (and potentially slightly-lower DPS) rotation than flub the more complicated one.

Which leads us to this advice for the Rotation part of the FAQ: Push more buttons. It is almost always better to push the wrong button quickly than to press the right button half a second late. Almost every time I've looked at WoL for a tank having DPS/TPS problems, they're doing a perfect rotation very slowly.

There are fights where tank DPS makes a difference - yes, it's "job 4" (and I generally agree with that), but *most* tanks can pick up an extra 20% of their DPS just by pushing buttons *faster*. Maximum spammage is still worth watching and taking to heart.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 am

While I adore that Kipparian video, isn't it a bit out of date after Cata? Or is it only in my head that blizzard changed the queueing system for abilities?

At least spamming keys doesn't work very well for me now, while pressing them half a second early does.
Paxen

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 am

Paxen wrote:While I adore that Kipparian video, isn't it a bit out of date after Cata? Or is it only in my head that blizzard changed the queueing system for abilities?

At least spamming keys doesn't work very well for me now, while pressing them half a second early does.

I don't believe you can cast-queue things that are on cooldown. We still paid the latency+reaction penalty on CS during all of Cataclysm, because we were casting CS on cooldown, and you couldn't queue it up early.

We're in the same position with the majority of our HPG (CS and half of our J casts) in Mists, so it's still perfectly applicable.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Paxen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:34 am

theckhd wrote:I don't believe you can cast-queue things that are on cooldown. We still paid the latency+reaction penalty on CS during all of Cataclysm, because we were casting CS on cooldown, and you couldn't queue it up early.

Ah, thanks. That probably explains why I only noticed it on my mage late in cata.
Paxen

Postby Meloree » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Paxen wrote:While I adore that Kipparian video, isn't it a bit out of date after Cata? Or is it only in my head that blizzard changed the queueing system for abilities?

Nope, it's pretty much timeless. Maximum spammage is, perhaps, less important (and only less important, it hasn't gone away for anyone) for some classes than it used to be, but certainly not prot paladins. It remains critical to peak performance.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby aresius » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:09 pm

Hey.
Firstly i wanted to express that the "FAQ guide" format really came out as a good and fluid read, streight to the point and informative.
There is however one detail that im not sure if is in fact a mistake or my own poor interpretation of what a priority list means.

On the "rotation priorities" section, it bugs me to see SoTR in the list at all (and the last position at that!).
Since its a ability that is off the CGD, wouldent it make more sense to not have it in that list at all? It really does not relate in priority to any other of the skills and, in my understanding, you will just pop it when at 5 HPs or when needed, regardless of the rotation.

For me when i see SoTR at the bottom of a rotation list, i feel like i am being told to use this skill only when no others are available, which would be a terrile use of SoTR.
aresius

Postby knaughty » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:53 pm

No, it's a good suggestion. I'll make the change.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby daishan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 am

Very nicely written :D
Was wondering what peoples feelings on flasks and elixirs where?
In cata I almost always went with a mast and prismatic combo as I found the magic dmg reduction very strong on most fights. With prismatics gone will we be looking at mast/armour for physical dmg fights and stam flask for high magic fights?
I'm assuming we'll be using stam food or is there any advantage to be had from strength food?
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:47 am

Crystal of Insanity is OP atm; imo.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:17 pm

I noticed this.

Seal of Truth and Censure now deal 80% less damage for Protection Paladins only.

I've been using seal of truth, should I still be doing so?
Melathys

Postby Sagara » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Theck did his number thingie

SoT is 3500 DPS above SoI
SoR is 1650 DPS above SoI
SoI is 17k HPS

A couple constatations:
SoI out-threats SoT (17k healing roughly equals 8,5k DPS threat-wise)
SoI out-threats SoR from 1-4 targets
SoT out-dps SoR on 1-2 targets

So, yes and no. I guess we're right now looking at the choices between a marginal, unreliable healing with good threat, or a marginal DPS boost.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby hedstrom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:58 am

Sagara wrote:Stuff about seals

So SoI is better than both for threat and heals and SoR and SoT are only better for dps then?
hedstrom

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents