Remove Advertisements

LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Paxen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:50 am

It's a friend of a friend I've met at a couple of parties. Judging from his normal posting habits he's very fond of offensive humor, and don't give a damn who it offends.

He crossed a line here, though. I'll comment it and see how he reacts.
Paxen

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 am

I thought it was funny, but I assumed it was tongue-in-cheek. I guess it really depends on the context. I have a Jewish friend who I can imagine making exactly the same joke.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:37 am

theckhd wrote:I thought it was funny, but I assumed it was tongue-in-cheek. I guess it really depends on the context. I have a Jewish friend who I can imagine making exactly the same joke.

Yeah, I pretty much saw it the same way... but like I said, I'm highly cynical =P

Heck, one of the jokes I often make is about us having big noses because air is free...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:55 am

Heh. It's a bit like the n-word free pass.

A bit like Belgians like to poke fun at their own inept government and them being simpletons.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Paxen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:56 am

Sure, if he was jewish. He's not, afaik.

Maybe he's as much jewish as I am, with my jewish great-great-something-grandfather.
Paxen

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:06 am

Eh, I've seen comedians that aren't Jewish make "Jew" jokes, white comedians make "Black" jokes, and all sorts of other stuff. It's all about context. You can make fun of the stereotype without actually being offensive if you do it right. Similar to the whole "rape joke" issue. There are ways to do it that are funny, even to victims. The problem is that it takes some skill and thought - you can't just make the most offensive joke you can think of and expect it to go over well. You have to do it in such a way that it doesn't denigrate the target, but empowers and supports them. It's the sort of thing that sets master comedians apart from amateurs.

There was a really good article on the topic right around the time of the "rape joke" fiasco a few months ago. I wish I remembered where I read it, because I'd link it, but it was really interesting.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:09 am

Firefox awesome-bar to the rescue! It was the only result when typing "rape" into the url bar (which is good, I guess?):
http://jezebel.com/5925186/how-to-make-a-rape-joke

I actually agree with Daniel Tosh's sentiment in his shitty back-pedaling tweet ("The point I was making before I was heckled is there are awful things in the world but you can still make jokes about them #deadbabies"). The world is full of terrible things, including rape, and it is okay to joke about them. But the best comics use their art to call bullshit on those terrible parts of life and make them better, not worse. The key—unless you want to be called a garbage-flavored dick on the internet by me and other humans with souls and brains—is to be a responsible person when you construct your jokes. Since the nuances of personal responsibility seem to escape so many people, let's go through it. Let's figure out rape jokes.

Wow, I forgot how much I like this author's prose:
This fetishization of not censoring yourself, of being an "equal-opportunity offender," is bizarre and bad for comedy. When did "not censoring yourself" become a good thing? We censor ourselves all the time, because we are not entitled, sociopathic fucks. Your girlfriend is censoring herself when she says she's okay with you playing Xbox all day. In a way, comedy is censoring yourself—comedy is picking the right words to say to make people laugh. A comic who doesn't censor himself is just a dude yelling. And being an "equal opportunity offender"—as in, "It's okay, because Daniel Tosh makes fun of ALL people: women, men, AIDS victims, dead babies, gay guys, blah blah blah"—falls apart when you remember (as so many of us are forced to all the time) that all people are not in equal positions of power. "Oh, don't worry—I punch everyone in the face! People, baby ducks, a lion, this Easter Island statue, the ocean…" Okay, well that baby duck is dead now. And you're a duck-murderer. It's really easy to believe that "nothing is sacred" when the sanctity of your body and your freedom are never legitimately threatened.
theckhd

Postby Paxen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Well, I got a reply. Paraphrased:

Holocaust jokes are fine. Jews are nice people, as long as they're not Israelis/zionists

I guess I'll keep him. I may have overreacted.
Paxen

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:13 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Passionario » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 am

Paxen wrote:And today this pops up on my facebook feed: "Jews: The first biofuel."(

If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:15 am

Skye1013 wrote:Part of what spawned this whole thread might be getting put to rest.

http://www.sdgln.com/news/2012/09/18/ch ... tment-gays

Hm... False alarm?

http://www.advocate.com/business/2012/0 ... as-changed
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 am

KysenMurrin wrote:the 1 hour a week I-can't-remember-the-name class that covered all sorts. By age 13-14 it was pretty much entirely about STDs.

PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education)?

Wikipedia link
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:55 am

Aha. That's it.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Ann Coulter is an idiot.

Civil Rights Are Only 'For Blacks'
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:59 pm

......I couldn't believe what the FUCK was just coming out of her mouth.

I normally don't wish this on people, but someone needs to kill her. Like now.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum