Appear Offline Inc

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Appear Offline Inc

Postby degre » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 am

Hell, was about time.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7315730/

“Appear Offline” Option Coming Soon to Battle.net

In the coming months, we're planning an update to Battle.net that will give you more control over your online presence when playing Blizzard games. Soon, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III players will be able to select "Appear Offline" as one of their Battle.net social-status options (along with Available, Busy, and Away) for those times when they want to wander Azeroth by their lonesome, dominate the galaxy in radio silence, or slay demons in solitude. When you choose this option as your status, all of your Real ID friends, BattleTag friends, and character-level friends will see you as “Offline” in their friends list whenever you’re logged into a game.

The “Appear Offline” status option will be added to World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III separately in future updates for each game. For Diablo III, we expect to add the feature in a patch after 1.0.5. For World of Warcraft and StarCraft II, we expect to add the option sometime after the release of each game’s upcoming expansion.

Thanks for your continued feedback, and we’ll share more information on the availability of this new feature in the months ahead.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Re: Appear Offline Inc

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am

That's going to look shady when you're online in guild chat, but offline on real ID.

But yeah, about time they added it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:45 am

"Ah, I got some guys I don't want to talk to right now. No biggie, you guys can see me, so it's all okay."

"What, that alt that left the guild? Nothing big, wanted to delete it for months."
*cough*
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Amirya » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am

Nikachelle wrote:That's going to look shady when you're online in guild chat, but offline on real ID.

I presume it's not so much about hiding from your guild as it is about hiding from those "friends" who want you to go run that instance with them for the 454987465487634879646879646587 time so they can get that piece of transmog gear - even though they can solo it.

I wonder how that's going to work for random peoples who aren't on RealID/Battletag/just on a friend list. Like if I wanted to go searching for Nika, is she still going to show as offline even with a /who Nikachelle
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 am

im pretty sure it is only for realid/battletag

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Amirya » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:18 am

So this is more about hiding from your different server friends than your same server friends?

Boo. I was looking forward to the chance to hide from you a particular mage and a particular hunter on the server (not in the guild). :)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Zalaria » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 am

"all of your Real ID friends, BattleTag friends, and character-level friends will see you as “Offline”"

It's for all friends, not just realid/battletag.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 am

Nikachelle wrote:That's going to look shady when you're online in guild chat, but offline on real ID.

What would be really awesome, is if it will keep that feature while you are swapping characters, or if you could choose before you log into a character. I loved Lurkers to death, and my RealID friends were... for the most part IRL Friends (except a few MTers / Lurkers), but I enjoyed having a character that I could level, and not be worried about someone finding out I had it, and coming to stalk me.

That happened, and a guildie got super mad because I ignored them when they created a DK on another server, to "play with me". I tried to explain that I had created that DK so that I could "play alone".

Who knew... it would end up being my main an expac and server hop or two later.
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:52 am

Zalaria wrote:"all of your Real ID friends, BattleTag friends, and character-level friends will see you as “Offline”"

It's for all friends, not just realid/battletag.

But is it for those who have each other on a friend list, or does it also work one way? (ie: AnyPwny has Amirya on his friend list, but Amirya doesn't have him on the friend list) I assume it works no matter what. But then it goes back to what about those who don't have 'em on a friend list, just randomly /who stalks. In my case, the mage and hunter in question both actually /who stalk me (by their own admission, I'm not on their friend list)
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Amirya wrote:

I presume it's not so much about hiding from your guild as it is about hiding from those "friends" who want you to go run that instance with them for the 454987465487634879646879646587 time so they can get that piece of transmog gear - even though they can solo it.

I wonder how that's going to work for random peoples who aren't on RealID/Battletag/just on a friend list. Like if I wanted to go searching for Nika, is she still going to show as offline even with a /who Nikachelle

So what happens when you run past them in game? (Assuming they're real ID friends on the same server.) You going to whip out your cloak of invisibility? This whole premise seems ridiculous now. lol
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:10 pm

The cloak of invisibility is a legendary item, obtained only when you put a non-fatal smackdown on the people who designed the Theramore Fail scenario.

But yeah, that does seem kinda weird. I guess unless you're farming in some not-so-hotspot, or are on a different server, it may not offer much.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:46 pm

I don't know that I've ever had the issue of running into someone I know while farming. In the middle of SW when I'm afk by the bank? Sure, but rarely (if ever) out in the world when we weren't grouped.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby mavfin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 am

I think of this as more useful if I want to run off and play SC2 or D3 and not be seen by the WoW guildies, so they won't bother me to run something for/with them.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby halabar » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:55 am

I actually want to appear offline to guild, but not RealID.. got a few annoying ones in the guild (some of them kids).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby jere » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I'll find this useful when I want to get on an unguilded alt and just play around without being able to be asked to run 50 instances. Sure, a really resourceful person could track me down after some research, but most people I know that this would apply to aren't really that type of person.
jere

Return to General