Remove Advertisements

Pocket Legends, a Mobile MMO.

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Pocket Legends, a Mobile MMO.

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 am

Anyone else play?

I picked it up so that I could play it with my son, since it can be played in a browser, and via mobile (mobile is infinitely better for sure)

It's an f2p microtransaction type of thing, but so far, I've not found a reason to use the microtransactions, and with the patch they installed yesterday, the one thing that I had thought I was going to use it for (setting up a guild) can be mine with 5 days worth of patience.

I know /gasp! Shoju was going to use MICROTRANSACTIONS!?

Only for the guild.

It is (obviously) not as robust as a game like WoW, but for killing some time (and battery) on my iphone, it's a good enough time, and getting to play with my son is a perk.
Shoju

Re: Pocket Legends, a Mobile MMO.

Postby Flex » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:28 pm

If it is a free game with microtransactions without advertisements and you like it you probably should buy something to support future development of the game.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:44 am

Flex wrote:If it is a free game with microtransactions without advertisements and you like it you probably should buy something to support future development of the game.

And as I get higher in the game, I might. I've seen some things at higher levels that are pretty freaking hilarious. They solve the "Looks" problem with premium "costmetic" outfits. The Warrior character is a bear. I saw a Circus Bear outfit on a high level, and it was just about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I was checking it out, and it's like... 6 bucks. 6 bucks for hilarity is probabyl worth it for me.

I used some of the free currency that they give you to start the game on a nifty 2h'd sword with a proc. I used it from level 10 to level 20. The only reason I replaced it was because "an epic" dropped. They seem to have a lot of item qualities, and i can't figure out what is what.

Grey
White
Bold Orange Font
Green
Blue
Purple

Seems to be the "quality" of them in order.

It's a good time. I'm hoping to get a "Lurkers" Guild started in game. There are now 5 of us that play, so I might just put down the cash to start the guild now.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:28 am

As an update, I recently rolled a second time (purchased another character slot too.... I feel weird), and have started an enchantress this time. (Their version of a mage / priest / warlock rolled into one. Holy Hell they are OP. AoE is really their forte. At level 14, I have

A Blast Wave type spell (with knock back)
A Frost Nova type spell
A Hurricane Lightning type spell for massive AoE
An AoE heal
A Battle Rez I can even use on myself
A Drain Life
And a Single Target Damage Spell that freezes a target in place.

PLUS, your wands / staves "auto-fire" some sort of Single Target Projectile while you are casting.

As Long as I have a stack of Mana Pots (which aren't that expensive) I am nigh invincible. I would imagine once I get to where I am with my warrior, I will start running into packs that I can't kite infinitely, as it seems at higher levels more things have some sort of ranged attack. But even then, I can freeze and LoS to heal back up.

Nothing has a cast time, which I think is what makes it so... interesting. It's all instant cast, and there is an auto attack, and... wow. I'm stunned at the power of this class.
Shoju

Postby ryan4nayr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:05 pm

I played Star Legends around fall of last year, back when the novelty of my Android phone hit me deep enough to reach into my wallet. Pocket Legends, Star Legends & Dark Legends are all made by the same company, but obviously with different themes. The "portable ARPG" concept is still cool to me, but playing on a 4.3" touchscreen deflated a lot of my enthusiasm (same happened with Dungeon Defenders, come to think of it).

Out of curiosity, do you move around using the on-screen directional arrows or the accelerometer?
ryan4nayr

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 am

ryan4nayr wrote:I played Star Legends around fall of last year, back when the novelty of my Android phone hit me deep enough to reach into my wallet. Pocket Legends, Star Legends & Dark Legends are all made by the same company, but obviously with different themes. The "portable ARPG" concept is still cool to me, but playing on a 4.3" touchscreen deflated a lot of my enthusiasm (same happened with Dungeon Defenders, come to think of it).

Out of curiosity, do you move around using the on-screen directional arrows or the accelerometer?

For my Warrior, I use the "point and click" style of movement. Tap the screen where you want to go, and just keep going. When I need to engage enemies, I just use the Auto Attack to pull me to the next closest mob, but I'm "tanking" as much as you can with him.

With my enchantress, I'm using the "joystick" since I'm trying to stay as mobile as possbile, and I didn't care for the acceleraometer movement. I do have to say that if I continue to play the game for long, playing on an iphone 5 will be nice. The wider screen should give me more screen real estate, as opposed to my current iphone screen. It's not terrible, but there are times that I wish that I could see more of the environment than I currently do.

It's funny, I've heard a lot of people talk about the "novelty" of the smart phone being what got them into it. I've had my iphone since the week they came to verizon, and I just got into the game recently. Normally, I just play draw something, words with friends, song pop, and a few shooter games. My favs being minigore, and Wolfenstein 3d.

I also have an old school rpg for my phone, Rogue. I used to play that game all the time as a kid, I love opening it up and giving it a whirl every now and then.
Shoju

Postby ryan4nayr » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 pm

I've always been partial to handheld gaming so I might go back when I get my hands on a 10" Android tablet. But by then, I'd rather play Torchlight 2, AirMech, Guild Wars 2 and Firefall on it. :lol:

Shoju wrote:It's funny, I've heard a lot of people talk about the "novelty" of the smart phone being what got them into it. I've had my iphone since the week they came to verizon, and I just got into the game recently. Normally, I just play draw something, words with friends, song pop, and a few shooter games.

Star Legends is designed similarly, the Commando is the meatshield class with the ability to tear down damaged doors. Engineers are the healer/buffer/rez type that can hack access consoles. The Operative is somewhat the standard DPS type. I tried them all but ultimately I ended up spending more time on the Commando. A Maintankadin forumer playing a tank, what a surprise.

Maybe it's just my eyes getting old, but for now, the "A" part of ARPG just isn't supported very well on these standard sized mobile phones. Maybe when Google Glass comes out :mrgreen:
ryan4nayr

Postby Flex » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 am

Dungeon Raid is an amusing hybrid. It is a Match 3 game with RPG elements where you can play as different classes with different strengths/weaknesses and you can level up the class and swap active skills.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am

Figured I would post here as well. Seems that some people in the game have tons of gold to spend, and will blow it on leveling gear. Won a "legendary" Robe in a dungeon, and sold it to another person in the run for 1,000,000 Gold.

That's probably about ~20k gold in WoW terms.

And this was spent on a level 22 Legendary Robe. (Now having played two characters to 25+ in levels, it's the first legendary I've ever seen drop, but I've seen them on the AH starting at level 3.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am

After having now played 2 classes to 30, I can officially say that the enchantress is the most broke class I have ever played, hands down. And come to find out, I'm playing the class completely different than what "the forums" say you should do.

Like WoW, there are 3 primary stats (STR / DEX / INT). They suggest that you should split your enchantress between STR and INT, so that you can use more "warrior" gear, for survivability. When you level your spells, they say that you should max your debuffs, and not worry about your buffs.

I'm going full on glass cannon. Max Int, Max out my offensive spells and buffs in training (you can upgrade 1 spell per level) and just kiting. If I have a group, I play nice, but most normally, I'm just soloing the dungeon runs, or I have 1 other person with me. I have yet to find a dungeon (outside of the "Elite" that I can't reasonably solo, and I could even solo the elite dungeons if I took ~500 mana pots with me (the increase in health is STAGGERING).

I'm having a great time playing, and hope that I'm able to hit level cap in the next expac, which raises the cap to 75 +76 as an "Elite Level".

I hear that the gameplay at max level is pretty engaging, something that I worried about considering the fact that it runs on a mobile device.

I still hate the crafting model they use in the game. I feel like it's going to take forever to get the crafting done.
Shoju

Return to Other Games