Remove Advertisements

Theramore's Fall

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Theramore's Fall

Postby Lieris » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 am

Newsom wrote:What is Kalec doing there, anyway?

He is romantically involved with Jaina so he will be dead probably by the end of MOP*.

*read about his death in a forthcoming book because it won't be shown in-game.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Newsom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:06 am

wat
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Sagara » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:10 am

Kalec is a lonely lonely dragon whose former girlfriend became some kind of giant magic-hole.

Wait, that came out wrong.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY, Kalec seems to have the hots for the Xeno, and Jaina wanted a massive doormat of a boyfriend after the way the other, more assertive guys came out.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 am

Sagara wrote:Kalec is a lonely lonely dragon whose former girlfriend became some kind of giant magic-hole.

Wait, that came out wrong.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY, Kalec seems to have the hots for the Xeno, and Jaina wanted a massive doormat of a boyfriend after the way the other, more assertive guys came out.

roflroflrofl
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Hawkslayer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 am

I honestly had been expecting them to use this as a storytelling mechanism, but it was worse than most modern special effects films. There was almost no story and what was there didn't really make much sense (in that motivations were not explained . . . . just KABOOOM!), and the "special effects" were very underwhelming. I would basically think of this as an instanced group quest chain and nothing more, but I do hope future ones at least tell a story better than this one did. It was somewhat disappointing.
Hawkslayer

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 am

Hawkslayer wrote:I would basically think of this as an instanced group quest chain and nothing more

Because that's exactly what they are supposed to be.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 am

Yeah that's what they're supposed to be, but I think they need a little more narrative to hold my interest. Especially for this one which is supposed to be a big plot turning point.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:59 am

Sabindeus wrote:Yeah that's what they're supposed to be, but I think they need a little more narrative to hold my interest. Especially for this one which is supposed to be a big plot turning point.

If they did the narrative that was in the book it would be about 50 minutes of cinematics, or a Star Wars style scroll, and a lot less player interactive than what was released.

Horde version sounds very close to what was detailed in passing in the book. Small team goes in to free the Kirin Tor traitor and sabotage their travel systems. Alliance side diverged enough to fit it in.

Now if it was The Battle for Theramore it'd be a lot more action and more along the lines of what people probably expected.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Paxen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 am

Sagara wrote:AFAIK it's explained in the novel Tides of War. I'll avoid spoilers, but it should probably be a no-brainer to find.

Stuff like this makes me lose all interest in the story in WoW.

Your story is not so good that I want to waste time reading about it in a book. It works fine in the game, where you can actually show off the cool stuff that is happening (like in the three heroics added in 4.3). But I'm not going to waste my time reading bad fanfic (I got enough of that when I devoured Dragonlance books as a teenager).

If it's not show in the game, it didn't happen. If you can't tell the story in the game, it's not good enough. If you insist on showing me lots of stuff that only makes sense if I read your drek, I'll stop caring about the story. If I stop caring about the story, levelling loses any appeal it may have had left, for there sure as hell isn't a computer game involved in it.
Paxen

Postby Mannstein » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 am

Flex wrote:
Hawkslayer wrote:I would basically think of this as an instanced group quest chain and nothing more

Exacly why should Blizzard spent cash in putting something ... wait for it...... AWESOME just for one week???
Cmon guys think like marketeers... It doesn't make sense to a 10.000.000player game to:
A) Give away 1week free-time to non-subscribers until the expansion day;
B) Expand the free trial to allow access;
C) Deliver a fck AWESOME CENARIO with videos, AWESOME AOE and AWESOME chain pulls, AWESOME Naval battles, AWESOME videos where your char (YES YOUR AWESOME CHAR) fights it out with the horde heroes or Alliance scum (oops i mean Alliance heroes) and do something AWESOME (hey you can't have enough AWESOME), and get you "hyped" for the expansion even if you were thinking on non-buying.

It's better to save the money and deliver "this" to guys that are paying the game and the "hundreds" of non-subscriptioners (free week)that could be thinking the mysts.

P.S. Please "think" Sarcasm when you read my post.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby Hawkslayer » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 am

Flex wrote:

Except that it didn't have the story available from the quest descriptions. At the very least, I get those in quest chains and if I don't care about the story or have done it on 10 alts already, I can always just accept the quest and move on without reading it. At least it's available in the game though and I can choose to learn why I'm doing whatever it is the quest has me doing. The scenario lacked that for me.
Hawkslayer

Postby Amirya » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 am

Trying to save Crusader Bridenbrad in Icecrown vs "why does Jaina have white hair?!"

In Icecrown, you get the story of the Crusader - he was a valiant hero, and when he himself contracted the disease, removed himself from humanity to die alone, to ensure the disease didn't spread. All of these big lore people try to help him (Cenarius, Alexstraza, A'dal) at the request of Highlord Fordring.

In this one? "Oh look, goblin airship just bombed Theramore - though I have no clue why. Ok, I go around killing Horde. Ok, Jaina has grown a pair...wait, why does she have white hair?!"
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:32 pm

The obvious answer to why pre-expansion events are good for the game is because I still have my Haunted Memento and Arcanite Ripper, and I love having them.

"Fluff" items are fun and add character to the game. Having old stuff marks you as a toon that has been around for a while. It's cool.

Maybe they reckon people will be pissed off that they can't have the xpac goodies on their monks, just like how they can't have their Arcanite Ripper on their DK.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Maybe they reckon people will be pissed off that they can't have the xpac goodies on their monks, just like how they can't have their Arcanite Ripper on their DK.

I've seen a few QQ remarks as to why pandas won't be able to get the Theramore tabard.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Zalaria wrote:What were you guys expecting? Scenarios are a replacement for group quest, which were pretty underwhelming to begin with. Bugs shoulda been fixed, but expecting some super-amazing thing from scenarios is just bad expectations. They can't do too much with the requirement of no tank and no heals.

They never planned to have a world event for Mists.

But they didn't always say that, in fact they did talk about one, and as it got closer, it was "yeah, the scenario is the world event".

But the players have themselves to blame. At the last world event you had:

1) asshats griefing
2) low-levels bitching that the event interfered with their collecting of 6 boar dongs
3) raiders QQing about the loot sucking
4) lore-weenies complaining about something
5) the AFKers complaining that they missed it

After all that, I can imagine the devs saying 'screw that, we're never doing one of those again'.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General