Remove Advertisements

Libya: US Consulate destroyed, Ambassador slain

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Libya: US Consulate destroyed, Ambassador slain

Postby Nooska » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:31 am

Thank you very much for the write up.

Its very nice to read a - I'm tempted to call it dispassionate (please don't take offense) report, rather than half thoughtout news reports based on rumor and hearsay.

Is it a secret what you do and why you are in libya (or rather, can you tell "us" (me)) - I haven't followed the non theorycrafting forums long enough to know.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Brekkie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:48 am

I am currently a Marine Security Guard.
I am not currently in Libya, but have contacts there, and at other hotspots.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby bldavis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 am

Brekkie wrote:I am currently a Marine Security Guard.

arent you in Suadia Arabia?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Brekkie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 am

bldavis wrote:
Brekkie wrote:I am currently a Marine Security Guard.

arent you in Suadia Arabia?

Not currently.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby bldavis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:14 am

oh...
nm then :)

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Brekkie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:47 am

My first MSG tour of duty was in Saudi Arabia. That's where I was stationed when the Bin Laden raid happened.

I'm elsewhere now though.
Brekkie

Postby bldavis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:04 am

yeah i remember you saying you were in Saudi Arabia at one point

bldavis

Postby Brekkie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:54 am

Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:55 PM
To: Cross, Alex Maj OLA, LA-41B
Subject: Marines in Libya and Egypt

Ladies and Gentlemen-

The following information is provided regarding Marine involvement in the recent actions in Egypt and Libya:

Egypt:
-The Ambassador did not impose restrictions on weapons or weapons status on the Marine Corps Embassy Security Group (MCESG) detachment. The MCESG Marines in Cairo were allowed to have live ammunition in their weapons. The Ambassador and Regional Security Officer have been completely and appropriately engaged with the security situation. Reports of Marines not being able to have their weapons loaded per direction from the Ambassador are not accurate.
- The Marine Corps does not establish Rules of Engagement (ROE). Nonetheless, ROE is classified and release of that information would jeopardize the Marines and U.S. interests. Any further inquiry should be directed to the State Department, since Marine security guards report to the ambassador not to a military commander.
-As reported in open sources, approximately 2000 personnel were protesting outside the U.S. Embassy and six individuals entered Embassy grounds. The Marines quickly took control of these six individuals and subsequently turned them over to local security officials.
-There were no Marines injured in this, or other actions in Cairo.
-There are no Marine dependents in Cairo.

Libya:
-Contrary to open source reporting, there are no Marines currently stationed at the Embassy in Tripoli, or the Consulate in Benghazi.
-There were no Marines killed in the attack on the Consulate in Benghazi.

Yemen:
-The American Embassy in Sana'a, Yemen has a MCESG reinforced with a Marine security force. Due to operational security, we are not at liberty to provide additional details at this time.

Marine Corps Embassy Security Guards (MCESG):
Embassy security in Tripoli and the consulate in Benghazi fall under the Regional Security Officer with the State Department. The U.S. maintains over 285 diplomatic facilities worldwide. MCESG provides 152 security detachments provide internal security at designated U.S. diplomatic and consular facilities in order to prevent the compromise of classified material vital to the national security of the United States. Perimeter security is the responsibility of the host nation police/security forces. AMEMB Tripoli does not have a MCESG detachment. Typically, when a new embassy is established, it takes time to grow a new MCESG detachment. In coordination with the State Department, there was discussion about establishing a detachment in Tripoli sometime in the next five years. Overall, the plan is to grow the number of MCESG detachments worldwide to 173. The size of a MCESG detachment depends on the size of the Embassy and the security situation on the ground. They normally range anywhere from 5-20+ Marines in size. MCESG can, and have, provided security at Consulates as well as Embassies. For example, Marines guard the US Consulate in Hong Kong and, in the past, have guarded the US Consulate in addition to the Embassy in Haiti. The decision as to which consulates receive this augmented security lies with the State Department. State identifies its requirements and DOD/Marines work to provide it. A U.S. Ambassador serving in an unstable region can/will normally have a security detail provided by the State Departments Diplomatic Security Corps. State has agents specially trained to provide personal security details (similar to the Secret Service). Stephanie Hoostal at the State Liaison Office (B-330) can be reached at 6-4542 if you have questions specific to the State Dept.

Fleet Anti-Terrorism Support Team (FAST):
A FAST platoon deployed to Libya yesterday (12 Sep 12) to provide security for the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli. Established in 1987, FAST platoons provide a limited-duration, expeditionary security force to protect vital naval and national assets. FAST companies maintain forward-deployed platoons at various naval commands around the globe and possess U.S.-based alert forces capable of rapidly responding to unforeseen contingencies worldwide. FAST is not designed to provide a permanent security force for installations. FAST platoons are primarily designed to conduct defensive combat operations, military security operations, and rear area security operations in response to approved requests in support of geographic combatant and fleet commanders. When deployed to reinforce embassies with existing MCESG detachments, FAST platoons will customarily provide an outer cordon of security inside the embassy compound, while MCESG Marines maintain security of the chancery proper, and host nation police/security forces provide an outer cordon of security beyond embassy grounds.

NOTE: Although a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) has traditionally been forward deployed to the Mediterranean (2.5 MEU forward deployment-1 x east coast MEU to the Med, 1 x west coast MEU to the Pacific, and the 31st MEU forward based out of Okinawa, Japan), there is currently no MEU presence in the Mediterranean. The Marine Corps currently maintains a 1.5 MEU presence forward deployed. We currently have the 24th MEU from the east coast deployed to the Persian Gulf, a west coast MEU is conducting work-ups for deployment, and the 31st MEU is operating from Okinawa.

Please see the attachments for more information on FAST or MCESG. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your Marine Corps Liaison Office in RHOB-B324.

Respectfully,
Alex Cross, Maj USMC
Deputy Director, Marine Liaison Office
U.S. House of Representatives
B-324 Rayburn

Brekkie

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:38 am

Thank you Brekkie. Your information is invaluable.
Shoju

Postby Malthrax » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 am

Thanks, Brekkie. That was far more clear, insightful, and informative than anything I've seen in the media (on either side of the political spectrum) so far.
Malthrax

Postby Brekkie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 am

The statements made in this thread represent my personal opinions based on open-source information only. They do not represent the official stance of the US Department of State, United States Marine Corps, or any other element of the US Government unless specifically indicated.
Brekkie

Postby sahiel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:11 am

Very good to read such a factual write up, I have some former State Dept. colleagues stationed in the area and thankfully they're all okay, but even they have a hard time getting exact facts as to what happened. I must add, that of all the US military I've known in my time at State those on Embassy Security were the ones I personally felt safest with in difficult situations, knowing that somewhere Marines and the rest of the military are fighting isn't quite as immediate as having the RSO and marines brief you personally where to hide if there's a rocket attack on your Embassy and mention that they'll be fighting off any attackers whilst you're safe.

Not sure if it means quite as much from a non US citizen but I for one have and always will be eternally grateful to the Marines for the times they protected me and for those they'll protect in the future.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Were the Libyan guards at the consulate local militia/police or private contracted security? Or a combination of both?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Brekkie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Arnock wrote:Were the Libyan guards at the consulate local militia/police or private contracted security? Or a combination of both?

To be quite honest I'm not entirely sure how best to describe them. I think the closest allegory is the Auxiliaries in the legions of ancient Rome. They are locals, but are directly employed, trained, equipped, and managed by the Americans. If they serve the United States loyally for 20 years, they earn an immigration visa to the US for themselves and their immediately family.

They aren't police, or any form of local institution. They are employees of the Embassy/Consulate. They just happen to be locals. This has a few administrative advantages for us:
-we can pay them less.
-if they shoot someone, it is easier to brush under the rug, whereas if an American shot someone it would be a guaranteed international incident.
-they are more expendable. (brutal, but true)
Brekkie

Postby Dantriges » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:20 am

I wonder if them being more familiar with the local culture and being native speakers of the local language could be a factor, too? Could help prevent miscommunications and I could imagine that the State Department considers stuff like that, too, at diplomatic US installations. No idea how much the guard personnel interacts with the locals but I could imagine that they are approached with a question or so, too, during normal operations. Like asking for directions or so.

But I have no idea what the day to day at a consulate orembassy is like.
Dantriges

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum