6.0 Talent and Glyph Guide

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 5.0 Talent and Glyph Guide

Postby Treck » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 pm

No idea if they adressed it, but it still works on live and beta.
Treck

Postby theckhd » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 pm

It's been acknowledged as a bug, but it hasn't been fixed yet on either live or beta.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Schroom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:15 pm

there has been a hotfix about 2 hours ago. SS is affected by it. if you buff it you only get the first absorb shield after the first 6 seconds. So infact the first tick is gone. fix or bug?

fact is I don't like it at all!
Schroom

Postby daishan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Schroom wrote:there has been a hotfix about 2 hours ago. SS is affected by it. if you buff it you only get the first absorb shield after the first 6 seconds. So infact the first tick is gone. fix or bug?

fact is I don't like it at all!

Intended by the sound of it.

One additional paladin note is that we are moving the initial tick of Sacred Shield to the end. We didn't want players to feel like the right way to play was to constantly cancel and overwrite the bubble.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Thats no fun at all, id rather they increased its CD, I really like to be able to use it effectivly for a burst, its on the GCD anyway so you still have to plan a little bit for it, now its gonna get pretty damn hard to time, not to mention were getting one absorb less out of it every rotation.
Treck

Postby theckhd » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Treck wrote:Thats no fun at all, id rather they increased its CD, I really like to be able to use it effectivly for a burst, its on the GCD anyway so you still have to plan a little bit for it, now its gonna get pretty damn hard to time, not to mention were getting one absorb less out of it every rotation.

The flipside is that the old functionality encouraged you to spam SS several GCDs in a row to absorb several consecutive melee hits. Definitely not balanced, nor the intent of the spell. This implementation is flat-out better from a balance perspective.

Also note that we don't lose any ticks at all from this change. We'll get a final one when the buff expires (hence the "we moved it to the end" part).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Schroom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:00 pm

yeah well the "working as intended" was always that we get one shield every 6 seconds. This stays, we just have to apply SS a tiny bit earlier before the pull and we aren't able to get one more tick we shouldn't. (*whispering*: bad people would call it exploiting. pshhhhh )

I'm about to go to bed now. has anyone checked if SS still stacks? it's pretty nice getting it from your pally healer AND a couple of ret pallys addional to your own ^^
Schroom

Postby Treck » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:04 pm

theckhd wrote:The flipside is that the old functionality encouraged you to spam SS several GCDs in a row to absorb several consecutive melee hits. Definitely not balanced, nor the intent of the spell. This implementation is flat-out better from a balance perspective.

No, that was never doable, it still had its 6sec cooldown when cast.
I do understand this change tho, I think the idea behind SS in the first place was just to generally remove some damage, not as a cooldown for us to use.

theckhd wrote:Also note that we don't lose any ticks at all from this change. We'll get a final one when the buff expires (hence the "we moved it to the end" part).

I just misread it then, makes much more sense.

Schroom wrote:I'm about to go to bed now. has anyone checked if SS still stacks? it's pretty nice getting it from your pally healer AND a couple of ret pallys addional to your own ^^

Yes it still stacks.
Treck

Postby Jaitee » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:17 pm

theckhd wrote:
Treck wrote:Thats no fun at all, id rather they increased its CD, I really like to be able to use it effectivly for a burst, its on the GCD anyway so you still have to plan a little bit for it, now its gonna get pretty damn hard to time, not to mention were getting one absorb less out of it every rotation.

The flipside is that the old functionality encouraged you to spam SS several GCDs in a row to absorb several consecutive melee hits. Definitely not balanced, nor the intent of the spell. This implementation is flat-out better from a balance perspective.

Also note that we don't lose any ticks at all from this change. We'll get a final one when the buff expires (hence the "we moved it to the end" part).

we did actually lose a tick when the buff expires it doesnt provide another tick however if we refresh SS before it expires then we dont lose any ticks since when you refresh it it behaves like a hot and extends the duration to 30 seconds + however long till the next tick
Jaitee

Postby aresius » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 pm

I was thinking a bit on the tier 3 talents (eternal flame vs Sacred shield).
I dont really understand how stats affect healing output so im likely completely off track, but i thought maybe some raidwide buffs and/or stat improvements may make Eternal flame more attractive and were possibly overlooked. For example, if your group has a Spriest/Bdruid/EleShammy wouldent the extra spellhaste, wouldent it grant extra healing ticks to EF's HoT(while not improving SS)?
Although the absorbtion of the sacred shield will likely make it more attractive regardless, i wanted to beleive there could be something that might give the EF a total healing advantage to, at least on a argumentative standpoint, make the T3 talents less pre-determined.
aresius

Postby econ21 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:08 pm

One thing I don't get about sacred shield is how recasting interacts with vengeance. If you cast SS with no vengeance, immediately get a big hit (an impale say) and then cast it again with high vengeance, I understand that you will get a higher shield as the size of the shield scales with vengeance. But when does the size of the shield increase? After 6 seconds? Or after all shields from the first cast would have expired (20+ seconds)? I guess it must be the former, otherwise there'd be a big incentive not to keep SS up.
econ21

Postby daishan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:18 pm

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure blizz said a while back that they'd be making all dot's and hot's dynamically refresh. So I'd hope SS recalculates the absorb size at the start of each 6 sec tick, hence no advantage to refreshing after an impale.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:25 pm

It doesnt however.
EF hot is recalculated all the time, but SS keeps its initial value.
Treck

Postby daishan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:59 pm

Damn that sucks, any idea if it's intended or a bug/lazy design?
Daishan
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:21 am

Well, since SS can be recast at any time* and EF is a hot that comes with the WoG you just cast, it makes sense for them to behave differently.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents