Remove Advertisements

First time tanking kara. =D Plz help me out.

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

First time tanking kara. =D Plz help me out.

Postby nightwolf » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:55 pm

Hello, Im finally getting a chance to tank kara the upcoming tuesday :D . Im really excited about this but Im not sure if I'll be able to tank it well. :(

My gears are:
-Tankatronic Goggles (Meta Stam gem + inscription from kot)
-Necklace of Untamed Strength (CE rep)
-Cloak of Eternity (+12 dodge)
-Spaulders of the Righteous (+12 dodge, stam gems)
-Jadeskull Breastplate (+10stam)/Vindicator Haukberd (+10 stam)
-Bracers of the Green Fortress (+12 stam)
-Felsteel Gloves (stam gems and 10 stam from armor kit)
-Belt of the Guardian (stam gems)/ Belt from arc key quest (stam armor kit)
-Timewarden leggings (stam gems, 30stam/10agi kit)
-Boots of the Protector (12 stam)
-Andormu's tear
-some ring with 25 stam, 21 agi, 15 dodge rating
-Darkmoon card Vengeance
-Figurine of the Collosus.

-Crystalforge swords (+40 spell dmg)
-Crest of the Sha'tar (stam gems and 18 stam enchant)
-Libram of Repentance

My unbuffed stats is sitting at
-13.4k hp, 13.5 armor
-500 def
- ~21% dodge/ ~16% parry / ~20% block (53% after HS).
- 200 +spell dmg, 4268 mana.

I can switch some gears around to trade off stam/armor for some more dodge/parry/block, but I dunno if I should. Even though MT said he'd guide me through kara, i feel like I should be a little prepared before going in. :) just wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for and such. =) If anyone can throw in some opinion about gears, wat i should do in kara, wat I should watch out for in kara, it'll be cool. :) Ty!
nightwolf

Postby Dazhbog » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Heading in to MT myself this coming Friday; feel free to compare, I'd say we match dead even/you're slightly ahead in a few cases =) You should be 100% a-ok.

I'm not a huge fan of Andormu's, and actually dropped a tank ring for the Black Pearl (33 stam, 25 spell damage) since I was a little low on threat gen stats. No DM:V, just a Poultryizer here, and Dabri's instead of the Figurine; I'm using the Steamvault neck to replace the lost avoidance rating.

Cross your fingers for the Boots of Elusion to drop (I picked them up yesterday, along with Nightbane's shield); they're a decently common trash drop and are really, really nice for the dodge. I'm still working for the Crest of the Sha'tar, but getting the Nightbane shield takes some of the pressure off.

Definitely read up on the encounters in WoWWiki so you have some idea going in, especially the Opera events. If you're running OT with a MT to guide you through (as I did yesterday) it's dead easy, and a lot of fun learning the encounters; I ended up MTing the Curator (no problems) and OTing on Moroes, Illhoof, Netherspite, and Aran (elementals). Bring some healing gear for Prince, if you're not going to be tanking him.

Trash wise, look out for the Ushers (more to the point, what that your DPS doesn't grab them) and be careful to not break CC with consecrate if it's being used. And ask questions, either before and after the run, and talk with your MT about how things go.
Dazhbog

Postby nightwolf » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:52 pm

=O wow thats great news. :) i feel much more confident now. Ty so much for the advise. If anything, i'll bow out for a healer at prince. But I heard that last they pwned prince pretty hard that I might be able to stay. =) anyhow, Im going to read up on the wowwiki like ya said =). and then ask some more questions about the way the group does kara when im in there =). It should be alright like ya said =D. Ty again for the reply.

Jw how do you get that gem with Parry rating and Stam?
nightwolf

Postby Antharas » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:02 pm

armors a little low
Antharas

Postby Pizbit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Heya!

First up ignore the armor low comment.

Having healed and DPSed through kara many a time I wandered in to OT kara this past week so I'll share my experiences with ya. :)

First up, you're gonna be nervous as hell, I was especially so since the only other pally tank in the guild decided to be lazy/push me making me do all the trash pulls and what not. As a healer/dps you never really learn those, you just heal the tank(s) or dps skulll so it's a totally different experience.

The trick is while your nervous to turn it in to being focused, if you're not sure if consecrate will brake CC, don't use it. Karazhan is full of undead/demons that you can exorcism to make up for most of it's threat anyway. Bring some mana pots.
To give you an idea when you're feeling nervous, if you think a little bit you'll realise it's not that hard being an OT because your target is always 2nd or 3rd to be killed so you have time to build threat if you're worried about that.

My main worry for OTing kara being second on aggro list for moroes. Heh, silly me, judge crusader and go to town threat wise. If like me you get told to pickup an add while building threat on moroes you'll get mana return from damage he does.
By the time 2 or 3 adds are down and dps focuses on moroes, you'll have an untouchable threat lead.
Maiden, just install decursive and click the little boxes, keep bo-sac on the MT so you can heal during repentence(don't bother healing other times unless you have spare mana). Etc etc, pretty straight forward, just try to relax and focus:)

If your MT is any good he'll help you out a lot and guide you, KEEP talking to him! Discuss pulls if you're unsure or what you should be doing on a boss. I'd have to say the most important thing bar keeping HS up on bosses(even when you are OTing moroes) is to keep communication with your MT. Make sure you're friends and can ask him stupid questions.
It boosted my confidence a lot to discuss how we'd do things with the MT privately, soothing nervousness and helping focus.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Pizbit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:13 pm

"-Belt of the Guardian (stam gems)/ Belt from arc key quest (stam armor kit) "

Mistake typing it in or am I missing something?
Pizbit

Postby Dazhbog » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Pizbit wrote:"-Belt of the Guardian (stam gems)/ Belt from arc key quest (stam armor kit) "

Probably a mistake on typing.

Anyway, assuming your healers are solid (and it sounds like they are) don't lose your place for Prince, even if it's just for the three badges. The T4 hat, while worse then the goggles for a MT, still has some nice threat stats that're great for 5 mans. If you have a decent (+800 ish healing, 150+ mp5) healing set, then you're great at keeping the random annoying damage off the raid while the main healers focus on other things. Plus, you can blow LoH if it's needed.
Dazhbog

Postby Pizbit » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Dazhbog wrote:
Pizbit wrote:"-Belt of the Guardian (stam gems)/ Belt from arc key quest (stam armor kit) "

Probably a mistake on typing.

Drat :( I was hoping for some more stam :oops:
Pizbit

Postby Frickit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:31 pm

I was lucky enough to join a very well geared guild who are now runnin alt kara runs of which I am becoming a part with my main. I had about 230 sd and was OK, just OK now im around 250 and feeling cumfy. 200 wouldnt work for me. They do lots of threat even with salvation.
Frickit

Postby Wakeman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 pm

+150 hp is the best for Chest enchant. Otherwise looks fine.

Grind bg during your leisure time for the S1 Gavel. I thought it was obvious but still so few tankadins have it.

And like others said, read everything on wowwiki about Kara. This is very important as a tank to know the fight well. (In contrast, those lazy healers and dpsers may still perform good without reading anything. =/ )

GL!
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Dazhbog » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:12 am

Frickit wrote:I was lucky enough to join a very well geared guild who are now runnin alt kara runs of which I am becoming a part with my main. I had about 230 sd and was OK, just OK now im around 250 and feeling cumfy. 200 wouldnt work for me. They do lots of threat even with salvation.

I hear ya, I'm trying to get badges asap to build some more damage back up. That said, I run Kara with Blinding Light flasks, and didn't notice a major problem.
Dazhbog

Postby Pala » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:25 am

Hi there. I too will be tanking Karazhan soon. I've gone with a great group that has let me off-tank to learn the fights. They were excited to hear about Prince's Phase 2 with a paladin and I'd like to show them how I would do for the whole thing. I'm new to registering here but have been browsing for about a month or two.
Below (or maybe in my signature?) is my Armory Profile. I think I'm ready to main-tank it. Would you agree? Thanks very much for any input!
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Palatinus

P.S. I know my bracers are crud for tanking but I hadn't got money for the Bracers of the Green Fortress. Maybe after a while of farming I can get them. TankPoints says I'm okay for avoidance w/ Holy Shield & Libram up.

Edit: I also have a Goblin Rocket Launcher for more Stamina and a Drape of the Righteous from Kara that does +43 holy spell damage along with 7mp5 and +13 intellect. The Figurine of the Colossus just won't drop for me it seems.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:41 am

Use a real tanking cape:)
I'd only use the righteous cape for, well, not much at all really, maybe normal 5 mans? The extra avoidance/mitigation of a real tanking cape is just too much to pass by tanking mobs that hit hard.
Pizbit

Postby nightwolf » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:38 am

=O oh wow im surprised to get so much response. =D thank you all for the support esp Dazhbog and Pizbit. =D I just finished working on Glad's Gavel today. Should be getting it a 11 am tomorrow. :D I should be getting Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian and Slikk's Cloak from badges soon. -=/ takes a while to farm those badges. But yeah, im starting to gain more confident cuz MT is being very supportive. Also healers are pretty well geared and experienced. I will prolly be the only first timer in the whole raid group. =D. I might switch Dabiri's enigma in and take our Darkmoon card for more avoidance or maybe medalion of the horde depends on the fight. =/

I'll keep yall updated after raid tomorrow =D!

Ps: in addition to dodge/parry/block, Im not sure how the missing hit % is calculated. Can someone help me out? =D
nightwolf

Return to Karazhan