LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Lieris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Shoju wrote:Before too long, I will just be down to my friends that I find funny, my wife, son, and George Takei.

Sounds like good company to me! :) I think you will be happier when that eventually happens.

I think a lot of us can sympathise with you on this as having family members who have no idea how to behave on Facebook isn't uncommon. It's one of the reasons I don't use it.

That and the new and creative ways my cousins manage to butcher the French language.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I agree. Me and the rest of the family are not really on speaking terms, and I really don't miss it -- specially since I got a nutjob baptist pastor in the family tree who likes to go all "Bomb Iran to trigger the 2nd coming of Christ" and "Homosexuality caused 9/11", and his congregation eat that shit up.

My poor zeyde is spinning in his grave...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Melathys » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm

You have me totally jonesing for some Chesapeake bay blackened crab cakes right now.
Melathys

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Aubade » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 pm

I actually had to unfriend someone on facebook today.

Who I thought was a relatively level-headed smart person went on an anti-gay rant on Facebook, and was talking about how if Obama get's re-elected we're gonna have the apocalypse.

And she was serious =[

People make me sad for the state of this world sometimes.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:14 pm

bummer

i check facebook like once a week... i normally miss a bunch of posts, and i don't think i've seen any anti-gay posts, but every now and then I get my facebook flooded with those Jesus/God is Great posts and whatnot, which I normally counter with some Dawkins/Hitchens/Carlin... which they do take offense to every now and then... *facedesk*
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Had a family-friend post one of those "marriage is between a man and a woman" pictures. I simply commented with :(.

I don't know if he truly believes that, or was just passing along something that sounded good in his head, but I did get an apology from him...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Part of what spawned this whole thread might be getting put to rest.

http://www.sdgln.com/news/2012/09/18/ch ... tment-gays
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 am

Oh, this is rich.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/lawm ... dren240812

My favorite part is:
Earlier this year Dwyer supported a ballot measure to strip lawmakers of their office when found guilty of serious crimes which Maryland voters will decide on in November.

If Dwyer is found to have committed an offense and the ballot initiative is successful he may find himself out of office under the law.

Edit: Let it be known that I am glad Karma might be trying to teach him a lesson, but not glad that innocent children had to be injured in the process.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:53 am

Afraid that homosexuality would be taught in schools... What does that even mean? Did I miss the class where heterosexuality was taught because I think I would remember that one.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:38 am

Fridmarr wrote:Afraid that homosexuality would be taught in schools... What does that even mean? Did I miss the class where heterosexuality was taught because I think I would remember that one.

Sex ed.?

Anyway, I think unfriending people on facebook simply because you disagree with their views is a bit shortsighted. I enjoy watching posts from people I disagree with, even if I think they're retarded. Let's me know I'm not stuck in the internet echo chamber.

Of course, outright anti-gay bashing is pretty rare in these parts. Even those who don't like it usually keep quiet about it.
Paxen

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 am

Paxen wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Afraid that homosexuality would be taught in schools... What does that even mean? Did I miss the class where heterosexuality was taught because I think I would remember that one.

Sex ed.?

Anyway, I think unfriending people on facebook simply because you disagree with their views is a bit shortsighted. I enjoy watching posts from people I disagree with, even if I think they're retarded. Let's me know I'm not stuck in the internet echo chamber.

Of course, outright anti-gay bashing is pretty rare in these parts. Even those who don't like it usually keep quiet about it.

Well sex ed is hardly specific to heterosexuals.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 am

At what age do they start sex ed in the States?

(And one could argue that any form of birth control is considered heterosexual, leaving aside condoms and whatnot for oral sex.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 am

At what age do they start sex ed in the States? I think we started in grade 5 here in Canada.

(And one could argue that any form of birth control is considered heterosexual, leaving aside condoms and whatnot for oral sex.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 am

I don't know that it's standard. They start with some topics pretty early. Sure the topic of birth control might be more specific, but as a whole sex ed applies fairly universally.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum