Remove Advertisements

LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Koatanga » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:11 am

Levantine wrote:You're good at focusing on singular points to the exclusion and flat out blind and willful ignorance of any others, aren'tcha. Outside of gay marriage Aus and NZ political climates are quite similar. My entire mother's side of the family resides in New Zealand, and why I don't know from first hand experience due to living in Australia, I hear enough to be able to draw a significant number of parallels.

Nah actually I didn't go back and re-read the article. Now that I did it definitely does say NZ is similar to "ours" meaning Aus, so I would agree with that. For some reason I thought it was comparing to the US.

But yeah, Aus is close to NZ in many more ways than mere geography. Apart from rugby prowess, of course.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 am

Koatanga wrote:
Shoju wrote:MOderate to Liberal, and still fighting Same Sex Marriage?

/head explodes.

It's a religious/social issue, not a political one. It has been politicised, which in the US means one party espouses it therefore the other party must oppose it - US politics hates bipartisan issues.

Have a read at this article:

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-entry/gorilla-their-midst

Oh, I'm familiar with the article. I love what he wrote. It's just really difficult to separate the mainstream conservatives in the US from issues like same sex marriage anymore, because religious fundamentalism is, like Takei said, the gorilla in the republican's living room.

My comment was more of a "satire" at the state of american politics.

I guess part of me also hoped, that since NZ already had civil unions, that the move to "marriage" was a mere formality.

Sulu wrote:For a party that prides itself on less government intrusion, it sure seems busy these days telling women and LGBT persons what they can and cannot do. This is not only inconsistent, it is a poor strategy for keeping the party strong, growing, and current

I love that line.
Shoju

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Am I the only one who voiced that quote with Takei's actual voice?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:08 pm

I rad the whole blog in the "Holo-gramps" voice from Supah Ninjas.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:23 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--maryl ... riage.html

1.) I think it's awesome that an NFL player, a sport normally known for it's machismo, not its sensitivity, supports gay marriage.

2.) I think it's incredibly sad that the politician is such a freaking wanker about wanting the owner to tell his player to STFU
Shoju

Postby katraya » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:11 am

Shoju wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--maryland-politician-out-of-line-for-attacking-brendon-ayanbadejo-s-support-of-gay-marriage.html

1.) I think it's awesome that an NFL player, a sport normally known for it's machismo, not its sensitivity, supports gay marriage.

2.) I think it's incredibly sad that the politician is such a freaking wanker about wanting the owner to tell his player to STFU

It's hilarious that the politician seems to think there are no gay Ravens fans. We almost always go to the gay bar by our house to watch the games because there is a good sized crowd without any of the frat boy douchebag types.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:18 am

Didn't Maryland already legalize gay marriage anyway? Why would they assume that the state as a whole does not support gay marriage...
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:52 am

Nikachelle wrote:Didn't Maryland already legalize gay marriage anyway? Why would they assume that the state as a whole does not support gay marriage...

Because a group of idiots have challenged it, and have a repeal on the ballot for November.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 am

Sigh.

Think I'll storm into town wearing rainbow everything then.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 am

In a funny sort of events, I recently saw one of those "Marriage equality" pictures on Facebook, and shared it. There was part of me that hoped that it would cause my family to have heart attacks, and argue with me about it.

Turns out, my extended family just unfriended me. I don't know what emotion was more dominant in my reaction.

Humor, that my stance on gay marriage would be such a problem that it would cause family to unfriend me on facebook

Or

Sadness, that my stance on gay marriage would be such a problem that it would cause my family to unfriend me on facebook

I don't care if I'm friends with people on facebook. I've been hemorrhaging "friends" from my ultra conservative extended family (cousins, uncles, etc..) and "friends" (people I graduated with) for a month or so now. Before too long, I will just be down to my friends that I find funny, my wife, son, and George Takei.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:05 am

Sometimes, less is more.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 am

Nikachelle wrote:Sigh.

Just don't insult Cal or Crabs or else you'll really get it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 am

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Sigh.

Just don't insult Cal or Crabs or else you'll really get it.

I don't even know what those are.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 am

We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Kluwe reminds everyone why he's one of the coolest football players of the last few years
http://deadspin.com/5941348/they-wont-m ... porting-it

X-posted from the sports thread
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum