LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 am

Brekkie wrote:I'll sit down and right you a PM later tonight.

ooh ooh me too, I am interested in this topic
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:41 am

Maybe just make it into a new thread?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:44 am

it would be better then everyone getting PMs from our favorite overseas marine :)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Sagara » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:50 am

Think so too - this topic has slided to religion often already.

Still, best be careful, that is THE topic that goes FUBAR very easy...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Aubade » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Forward me that PM? I'm interested =O
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Quite interested as well. o/
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Brekkie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Lol, I'll just make a new thread. Should have time this evening.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Brekkie wrote:It also specifically endorses Monotheism, which almost half the world's population doesn't subscribe to.
And those things were artificially inserted very recently, less than a single lifespan ago. The whole "this is a Christian nation" thing has no basis in history, it is purely revisionism as a backlash against rising secularism.

So yes, I do consider those things rather extreme. Not that they are really a big deal by themselves, but they are indicators of extremist sentiment.

Shoju wrote:Actually, the use of the word God, when given a captial "G" to and used as a proper noun, is typically only used to reference the Judeo-Christian God, of the Christian, Jewish, Muslim faiths, and it's a little sketchy on Islam, since they normally reference him as "Allah", even though Allah and God are translations of the same word.

That leaves out some pretty "popular" religions throughout society.

Well to be clear, so that my position isn't being improperly framed (as it looks like it is), I'm not particularly in favor of those slogans. I certainly wouldn't be in favor of them being added now if I was given the choice.

However, there's some significant inaccuracies in some of that. First, that slogan has been on coins for about 150 years. Yes, "under God" was a recent addition to the pledge, some 55 years ago, but that's hardly the whole picture.

God is frequently capitalized when referring to a specific diety. In fact I'm currently reading The Omen Machine (fantasy fiction) which capitalizes any reference to that world's "god", even when the reference is merely a pronoun like He or His.

I wasn't around in the mid 1800's, but I'm skeptical that that sort of reference to God was typical among any of the three religions you mentioned, in fact I think each would use a different term. It doesn't seem to be a particularly great fit for any of them.

I think those are pretty vague open ended slogans really. I mean you can take it to mean really whatever you want, though I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that it's endorsing monotheism to the exclusion of other religions (I'm not even sure Christianity is properly classified as monotheistic, but that's an entirely different topic). Certainly they endorse the notion of a higher power, but it's really hard to argue that that notion is not part of our founding. That the basis for many laws of man don't have such origins. That it wasn't a very significant part of our culture, or even isn't today.

They aren't proselytizing (which is what I think would be required to balance out that image of extremism) they are merely slogans that reference a concept long accepted in our government and very popular in our culture. While I don't really think the government ought to be using them, the notion that they are somehow extreme seems utterly silly to me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Malthrax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 am

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, ... and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves

AHMAGHERD!! DEM BLESSINGS DHEY BHURN!!

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

2.1 We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Sheesh... can't even get TWO SENTENCES into a political document without "Righty" throwing around his "GOD" crap... :roll:
Malthrax

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:12 am

Brekkie wrote:Living in fundamentalist Muslim countries really opened my eyes about America. We act so horrified by Islamic extremism, but yet we do some of the exact same things and hold some of the exact same attitudes. Yet that is somehow OK because it's the "right" religion. Screw that.

Well Said, and I would love to hear about it in another thread even. I'm a "religion nut", not a "religious nut" so to speak, and I've been fascinated by fundamentalist cultures.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:15 am

Should be noted that what you believe in is more often than not determined by where you or your parents were born..
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:40 am

Malthrax wrote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, ... and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves

AHMAGHERD!! DEM BLESSINGS DHEY BHURN!!

When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

2.1 We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Sheesh... can't even get TWO SENTENCES into a political document without "Righty" throwing around his "GOD" crap... :roll:

1) Blessings aren't exclusively religious.
2) Nature's God covers any religion/group that has a god of nature (athiests being excluded by definition.)
3) Creator covering any religion/group that believes in a creator.

None of those seem right wing to me. Then again neither does "In God We Trust." I suppose it should also be noted with US money, that phrase is in all caps, so you can't legitimately claim it is God as opposed to god.

That all being said, perhaps it was being directed towards Christianity when the decision was made to include those words, but as with any document, the true meaning tends to get lost over time.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 am

Klaudandus wrote:Should be noted that what you believe in is more often than not determined by where you or your parents were born..

Which is why the Steelers plague will never end. People can't wait to get out of that state and it spreads!
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Fridmarr wrote:I wasn't around in the mid 1800's, but I'm skeptical that that sort of reference to God was typical among any of the three religions you mentioned, in fact I think each would use a different term. It doesn't seem to be a particularly great fit for any of them.

God, is the literal English translation of names given to "God" in the Holy Bible. While I'm not going to go searching to find out what he has been called forever, I can point out that since 1611, when the "Official" King James Translation of the bible was set forth, The term God was used in place of Jehovah / Yahweh in the Bible.

There is some debate that Judaeism has been replacing "God's Name" with "The Lord", or with "God" for even longer than that, since they feel that his name is too holy, too sacred, too important, to speak regularly.

Arabic Speaking Muslims are more apt to refer to "him" as Allah which, like I posted earlier, is the literal Arabic word for God. Many English Speaking Muslims will still reference him as Allah, but will also refer to him as God as well. If need be, I can track down sources on this.

Fridmarr wrote:I think those are pretty vague open ended slogans really. I mean you can take it to mean really whatever you want, though I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that it's endorsing monotheism to the exclusion of other religions (I'm not even sure Christianity is properly classified as monotheistic, but that's an entirely different topic). Certainly they endorse the notion of a higher power, but it's really hard to argue that that notion is not part of our founding. That the basis for many laws of man don't have such origins. That it wasn't a very significant part of our culture, or even isn't today.

Side Rant
Christianity falls under monotheism, even if they believe in "God the Father" "God the Son" and "God the Holy Spirit", because they believe that each incarnation is just that, an incarnation of the same singular omniscient, omnipresent entity.
End Side Rant

Looking back at the time when "In God We Trust" was added to our Currency (1864), It's origins are believed to lie in the fourth stanza of the Star Spangled Banner, written in 1812.

You can claim that it doesn't "reference the Christian God" but History unfortunately does not agree with you:

The Reverend M. R. Watkinson, as part of a campaign initiated by eleven northern Protestant Christian denominations in a letter dated November 13, 1861, petitioned the Treasury Department to add a statement recognising "Almighty God in some form in our coins."[7] At least part of the motivation was to declare that God was on the Union side of the Civil War.[8] According to Brian Burrell, the actual wording of the motto was inspired by a Union Civil War unit's company motto.[9][10]

Protestant Churches were behind the initial proposal. And if you don't want to believe a wikipedia article, because of it's editability, You can take it up with the United States of America Treasury's Historians

Fridmarr wrote:They aren't proselytizing (which is what I think would be required to balance out that image of extremism) they are merely slogans that reference a concept long accepted in our government and very popular in our culture. While I don't really think the government ought to be using them, the notion that they are somehow extreme seems utterly silly to me.

In a society such as what existed in the 1860's, no. Not Extreme. IN a society such as what existed in the 1950's, probably not. In a society like what we have today, 62 years later, It may not be extreme yet, but culture polls would suggest that the United States is far less "Christian" than it was previously.

EDIT

Sagara wrote:I suppose it should also be noted with US money, that phrase is in all caps, so you can't legitimately claim it is God as opposed to god.

Not Always True. When the slogan was first set forth, it wasn't always in all caps.

This is the reverse of the Morgan Silver Dollar. A coin with which, I am very familiar with, as it comprises most of the numismatic knowledge that I have accumulated. As you can see, Clearly, The I in "In", and the G in "God" were the only capital letters placed in the phrase. This coin is an 1895, but the Morgan Silver Dollar Design was implemented in 1878, and ran until 1921 (with a break from 1904 to 1921) with no change in design.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:19 pm

While pursuing this fun and interesting sideline, I'd like to note that the New Zealand national anthem mentions God 11 times (capitalised). However, it's not the Jewish or Christian god or even a real deity - it's some theoretical "God of Nations".

As of 2006, 42% of New Zealanders listed "no religion" or "not stated" for their religion. We are a godless lot down here.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum