Valor, Honor, Conquest, and Justice, oh my!

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Valor, Honor, Conquest, and Justice, oh my!

Postby Newsom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm

4) Do heroics semi-undergeared with a group of friends or guildies (no item level requirement to enter the old fashioned way)

From what I've heard, they are easy enough to complete with green gear, and by the time you've done each one once you hopefully have enough item level to queue in the Dungeon Finder.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Loliinacan wrote: There are only three other ways to get gear from what I can see:

1) Get reps to honored so that I can buy JP gear.
2) Crafting
3) Do the only normal mode dungeon that can drop high enough level gear: Mogu'shan Palace.

So, what am I supposed to do? A mix of all 3? What if that still doesn't give me the ilevel I need?

TL;DR - Where do I get non-pvp gear that will enable me to tank heroics?

You need to consult the gear list, and target accordingly, but you will get some of the needed rep just be leveling, and then can grind the rest.

Remember that the valor rep gear (requires revered) is in many cases better than the LFR gear, so you will want those reps anyway. Also, depending on what professions you have, you'll also want some of those reps.

Yes, first tier of Panda is about reps. You many not want them all, but you'll likely want at least a few of them leveled.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Nooska » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:51 am

I have not gotten a single piece of JP, VP or PVP gear on the beta, and I was over the ilvl reqs for heroics just by finishing up the quests and making a cloak for myself - ie 1 piece of crafted gear got me to 440+ - its not as arduous as it may seem (which is athe basis for a lot of discussion about what the point is with the JP vendors, as we won't need them by the time we have access to them)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Loliinacan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:26 pm

I think on live I'm going to buy three pieces of pvp gear, and supplement with crafting. I do like doing quests, so finishing up shouldn't be too difficult. I was also able to get one piece of gear from the Klaxxi with JP.

I am going to buy pvp helm, cloak, and ring. They seem to be BiS until heroic raiding, and the helm stays that way until the other two raids open up. I'm less freaked out about getting heroic ready now than I was when I wrote my post.

And if that doesn't work for whatever reason I can just do what Newsom suggested and go directly to the dungeons. I might have to do that anyway to help guildies out.
Loliinacan

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm

My thoughts on JP:

Unless things have changed, it'll be useable to purchase BoA gear (for those that haven't already bought every piece of BoA in existance) and for someone that levels via PvP that wants to do PvE, they can purchase a few PvE upgrades with JP.

Also... is there some reason JP has to be useful for the first part of the xpac? Once 5.1 gets released, the current VP gear will likely become JP gear, and viola, suddenly it's useful again.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Mannstein » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 am

Skye1013 wrote:My thoughts on JP:

Unless things have changed, it'll be useable to purchase BoA gear (for those that haven't already bought every piece of BoA in existance) and for someone that levels via PvP that wants to do PvE, they can purchase a few PvE upgrades with JP.

Also... is there some reason JP has to be useful for the first part of the xpac? Once 5.1 gets released, the current VP gear will likely become JP gear, and viola, suddenly it's useful again.

I might have missed something (won't be the first time/ or the last) but i was under the impression that there aren't any VP gear at the 1st tier of MoP.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby halabar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:42 am

Mannstein wrote:I might have missed something (won't be the first time/ or the last) but i was under the impression that there aren't any VP gear at the 1st tier of MoP.

There's ooodles of VP gear, a lot of it from the rep vendors.

halabar

Postby bldavis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:01 pm

no VP ilvl upgrades til T15

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:56 pm

bldavis wrote:no VP ilvl upgrades til T15

I do wonder if those will be worthwhile before you get heroic gear. You'll be able to upgrade an item twice, but it won't be better than the next level (so normal gear upgraded twice would still be lower than heroic). Given that, and the fact that they will probably be expensive (at least 750 valor) I wonder if it will make sense to just save them till you get heroic gear to upgrade.

halabar

Postby bldavis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:53 pm

halabar wrote:

I do wonder if those will be worthwhile before you get heroic gear. You'll be able to upgrade an item twice, but it won't be better than the next level (so normal gear upgraded twice would still be lower than heroic). Given that, and the fact that they will probably be expensive (at least 750 valor) I wonder if it will make sense to just save them till you get heroic gear to upgrade.

or w/e your endgame is depending on
if you dont have a guild to raid with, and there are no pugs on your realm, LFR gear works then

if you do have a guild, but they arent very progessed, normal mode works

not everyone hits heroic raiding

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby daishan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:20 pm

halabar wrote:I do wonder if those will be worthwhile before you get heroic gear. You'll be able to upgrade an item twice, but it won't be better than the next level (so normal gear upgraded twice would still be lower than heroic). Given that, and the fact that they will probably be expensive (at least 750 valor) I wonder if it will make sense to just save them till you get heroic gear to upgrade.

We have a 3k VP cap now so unless you start killing heroic bosses very early and get the drops you want, it'll probably come down to wasting VP over the cap or using it to upgrade normal mode drops.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am

daishan wrote:
halabar wrote:I do wonder if those will be worthwhile before you get heroic gear. You'll be able to upgrade an item twice, but it won't be better than the next level (so normal gear upgraded twice would still be lower than heroic). Given that, and the fact that they will probably be expensive (at least 750 valor) I wonder if it will make sense to just save them till you get heroic gear to upgrade.

We have a 3k VP cap now so unless you start killing heroic bosses very early and get the drops you want, it'll probably come down to wasting VP over the cap or using it to upgrade normal mode drops.

Well, what we don't know is if you can buy these upgrade things and save them up. If so, you can just keep buying them, and then upgrade gear once you get whatever your top tier is.

halabar

Postby halabar » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:25 am

bldavis wrote:
halabar wrote:

or w/e your endgame is depending on
if you dont have a guild to raid with, and there are no pugs on your realm, LFR gear works then

if you do have a guild, but they arent very progessed, normal mode works

not everyone hits heroic raiding

If DS is any indication, just about any guild will at least clear normal eventually.

halabar

Postby Mannstein » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 am

halabar wrote:
Mannstein wrote:I might have missed something (won't be the first time/ or the last) but i was under the impression that there aren't any VP gear at the 1st tier of MoP.

There's ooodles of VP gear, a lot of it from the rep vendors.

My bad i thought it was all JP.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby bldavis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 pm

halabar wrote:
If DS is any indication, just about any guild will at least clear normal eventually.

but what about those guilds that do not raid?

not everyone is like most of us and is in a raiding guild

bldavis

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta