Remove Advertisements

Valor, Honor, Conquest, and Justice, oh my!

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Valor, Honor, Conquest, and Justice, oh my!

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:48 am

Nooska wrote:Also posted in the other thread;
On the valor upgrade there was a blue post a few days ago about it coming in 5.1, let me see if I can find it...
With Mists of Pandaria, Patch 5.1
We currently plan to upgrade the Valor system as Ghostcrawler described in Mists of Pandaria Looting Explained in the 5.1 patch, allowing you to upgrade your gear using Valor points. We’ll have additional information once Mists of Pandaria launches and we get closer to the 5.1 patch release.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7029341

Yeah, I saw that too... dev are doing the valor dance right now.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby PsiVen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:41 pm

degre wrote:
PsiVen wrote:That's a good point. It's been profitable to spam 5-mans for some time, but now the gold reward is a lot bigger. Sadly it won't be any more interesting than the past year of it... Previously, we weren't allowed to gain JP/Honor anymore if we were over the cap. I wonder if they will actually allow it this time, as they seem to be saying.

JP gear at level 90 is going to be fairly worthless. Everyone will very rapidly have full 463s from the heroics, which won't be tuned to require full 450 gear. I expect a situation similar to WotLK, where people are mostly fine with Dragon Soul gear plus random upgrades. Even PvP honor gear is ilvl 464 and perfectly itemized for PvE in many cases. Farming as much Conquest as possible after you reach 90 will be a good upgrade path for the first few weeks at least.

They will change all our VP to JP at the next reset when they'll deploy the 5.0 patch, from then to the release of MoP JPs are uncapped, so farm as much as you want, then any you'll have above the 4k cap when MoP will go live on the 25th of September will be turned to gold at a rate of 47s per point.

As for the gear you'll probably want something more than random upgrades, heroics require 440 and you available at best 450 gear.

Random queues may require ilvl 440, but that has nothing to do with the gear we'll be using to run them with guildies the day we all hit 90. Once you start replacing slots with 463s you can break the threshold and start queuing for the random bonus. That's how it worked in Cataclysm, and with these dungeons I don't expect guild groups to have to pause at all between hitting 90 and starting Heroics with whatever JP/Honor gear they had saved up for.

I'm not really even sure how you're supposed to get JP before you do Heroics, and once you can do Heroics, the gear is a tier behind. It feels like they designed it specifically for the power level of "stuff people buy with 4000 JP when they hit 90" which begs the question of why they bothered with making full sets.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Xequecal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:09 pm

You get JP from normal modes. I know a lot of people forget those exist, but there are a lot of people who aren't good enough to do even heroics without getting carried by 4 other people and a 15% buff in group finder. These people need something to do when they hit 90.
Xequecal

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Normal mode bosses? Or doing random normal mode via the finder and receiving JP as a bonus for using the RDF?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Normal mode bosses? Or doing random normal mode via the finder and receiving JP as a bonus for using the RDF?

or both?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Not sure if we're talking new world or old world. But currently the only normal bosses in 5 man dungeon that gives JP are the ones in Halls of Origination. And they didn't even do that at Cataclysm launch for several months. So no, I wouldn't expect JP off normal bosses.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 pm

i was just stating a question as to the possibility that you could get JP from bosses as well as a bonus from using RDF
:?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:30 am

Blizz have backtracked somewhat on the Justice position. You'll now not be able to earn Justice if you are over the cap, and the conversion to gold will happen after 2 weeks, not at MoP launch. Guess they didn't want people using the change to farm up gold.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:44 am

Nikachelle wrote:Not sure if we're talking new world or old world. But currently the only normal bosses in 5 man dungeon that gives JP are the ones in Halls of Origination.

and Tolvir and Grim Batol ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:17 am

Worldie wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Not sure if we're talking new world or old world. But currently the only normal bosses in 5 man dungeon that gives JP are the ones in Halls of Origination.

Really? My mistake. Wasn't like that at launch though right?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:18 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Blizz have backtracked somewhat on the Justice position. You'll now not be able to earn Justice if you are over the cap, and the conversion to gold will happen after 2 weeks, not at MoP launch. Guess they didn't want people using the change to farm up gold.

Argh. I keep flip flopping between farming dungeons for excess points to not bothering cuz they'll just convert to gold.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:35 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Worldie wrote:

Really? My mistake. Wasn't like that at launch though right?

Nope, they added that in 4.1 I believe.

Xequecal wrote:You get JP from normal modes. I know a lot of people forget those exist, but there are a lot of people who aren't good enough to do even heroics without getting carried by 4 other people and a 15% buff in group finder. These people need something to do when they hit 90.

These dungeons quite literally do not exist in MoP. The level 90 normal mode dungeons are called "Heroic" now. Presumably you get JP from the bosses in them, which is where JP is supposed to come from, but you will have little use for that gear since it's a tier behind. Hence why I don't understand the system they went with here.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Newsom » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Well, JP will be more useful in T15 I guess.
NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:51 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Blizz have backtracked somewhat on the Justice position. You'll now not be able to earn Justice if you are over the cap, and the conversion to gold will happen after 2 weeks, not at MoP launch. Guess they didn't want people using the change to farm up gold.

Which means you only now want to make sure you are at cap, and then take a vacation.. unless you need to buy some heirlooms or something.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Loliinacan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:29 pm

So, this is a repost from a thread I made in the official forums. I didn't actually get a decent response to my question, so I thought I might ask it here. I wasn't sure if I should make a new topic, but this thread seemed to already be talking about what I asked. Here is the original:

I am a late comer to the beta. I had early access due to the annual pass, I haven't really played until a few weeks ago. Fast forward to now, and I just hit 90 last night. The thing is, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now. By that I mean, where am I supposed to get gear?

I know that on the beta, I could go straight to the pvp vendor and pick up enough pieces to get me "ready" to do heroics, but that vendor won't exist on live. There are only three other ways to get gear from what I can see:

1) Get reps to honored so that I can buy JP gear.
2) Crafting
3) Do the only normal mode dungeon that can drop high enough level gear: Mogu'shan Palace.

The problem with 1 is that I have to do dailies, which I hate. It doesn't make sense that I do a ton of quests to hit max level so I can... do more quests? Now, I can suck it up and do them, but there are still problems with this. The two reps that I have any progress with will only give me a piece of gear each. No guarantee that those two pieces will push me over the ilevel needed to enter heroics. Also, what about new characters leveling up that don't have a stash of JP sitting around? Where are they supposed to get it? When you ding 90 you can no longer queue for the 'random normal Pandaria dungeon.' Even if I do get a ton of reps up to honored to buy gear, I don't know how to get enough JP to buy all the pieces.

The problem with number 2 isn't so bad. I have enough mats in my bag from leveling that I can get maybe 4 pieces made. The issue is that on live, I'll have to wait for someone to get the recipes that I need. That can't be counted on with my guild. I am usually the first to hit max level when an expansion drops.

And of course, the problem with number 3 is similar to number 1. I don't know that getting the two pieces of tank gear from there will give me the necessary ilevel I need.

So, what am I supposed to do? A mix of all 3? What if that still doesn't give me the ilevel I need?

TL;DR - Where do I get non-pvp gear that will enable me to tank heroics?
Loliinacan

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta