Remove Advertisements

The lameness of Archeology..

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: The lameness of Archeology..

Postby Malkieri » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 am

I also think Archeology is lame Halabar - and I think they could have done a lot more with it.

I won't comment on whether or not I will be doing it (or whether or not you should/shouldn't do it) as I don't think that argument is what the thread was created for.
Malkieri

Postby Mannstein » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:26 am

bldavis wrote:you do have a point,. sorry for the tiny bit of trolling
it was just built up over several threads i had read

Hey no one died, no issue
ye, i noticed the building patern on the threads... :P

bldavis wrote:as for Archy discussion,
i dont care about the toys or the shinies, sure they are nice, but i was really into archy for the lore
if that doesnt float your boat, im sorry but no one is forcing you to do it.

True, the issue is that the Lore will be immedialty coppied into Lore'r us, or wowhead or...
They could realy, realy out do themselfs...
10greys -> white -> Green -> Blue -> Purplez and purplez won't give you a supper weapon or armour, it would give a scene of the Past. instead of having it writen you had a visual\sound view of the Lore...
THAT WOULD BE MY LORE ARCHEOLOGY

bldavis wrote:i have 3/4 pets, and the only mount i was interested in
the on use items? they are cool...but really just take up space in my bags/bank

Well, i hate to admit it... but you are 100%right...
bldavis wrote:how to make it better?
(...)
honestly, i feel the bottom line is....if you are interested in lore, you will do this if you dont give a shit about lore, you wont

there is no way to make it interesting to someone who doesnt care about lore, unless you add a TON of pets/mounts/achievements hmm....

That is the point, one thing is to do a shitload of mounts... other is not adding nothing... that is the issue i'm having... I don't like fishing... Cooking is nice but... i liked Archeology... i don't have much patience but i like going one side to the other to see new things... but now? Blah.. :P
bldavis wrote:
dont do the SECONDARY profession?
its like FA, cooking and fishing - it provides a benefit if you choose to level it and use it

Yes, first post of Flex, i thought that... We can compare it to FA... it's gutted, it's something you get to 600 and "nothing more to see".

Fishing can net you food and gold, cooking also... lets face FA and Archeology are the stepsons of the Sec. Profs.

bldavis wrote:the bottom line really is if you dont enjoy something that has no bearing on pvp or pve endgame, dont do it

/Cry
But i wanted to do it...
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:29 am

i want to as well, though tbh i really only did it when i was waiting for ques to pop on my hunter
there is always that....or fishing again i guess

btw, love your idea for the peic finds/solves giving a mini lore cinematic
they have that with the lorewalkers now, so maybe in the future?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:49 am

Archaeology isn't a destination, it is a journey, which is the opposite of every other profession in the game. So people who want something at the end will be disappointed. Other people will like the going out in the world, learning neat things about the history of the world in game and occasionally finding some nifty toy they can summon during a raid to annoy their fellow raiders.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 am

The on-use items are getting a bit old, I have to admit.. it would be a bit different if they lasted longer, but after a while, they get old, and I have nearly a full bag of them. (Yeah I can look like a bug for 10 seconds! Neat.. for a while..). I may just vendor a pile of those, and keep a few, need more room for Tmog gear.

The lore part is nice, but it's not enough.

The achievements are a joke.

Really needs some mounts and pets. ESPECIALLY with the new pet battle system, that would really get people interested.

The idea I still like best is finding Tmog gear through Arch. It's not welfare-epics so no one gets cranky about that, but it's something durable that would be a sign of doing the work.

That, and I want my Dr title.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

Flex wrote:Archaeology isn't a destination, it is a journey, which is the opposite of every other profession in the game. So people who want something at the end will be disappointed. Other people will like the going out in the world, learning neat things about the history of the world in game and occasionally finding some nifty toy they can summon during a raid to annoy their fellow raiders.

Well, even dear old Indy worked on rumors of great treasure and powerful artifacts. He wasn't just digging in a sandbox...

halabar

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 am

halabar wrote:
Flex wrote:Archaeology isn't a destination, it is a journey, which is the opposite of every other profession in the game. So people who want something at the end will be disappointed. Other people will like the going out in the world, learning neat things about the history of the world in game and occasionally finding some nifty toy they can summon during a raid to annoy their fellow raiders.

Well, even dear old Indy worked on rumors of great treasure and powerful artifacts. He wasn't just digging in a sandbox...

Pretty sure Indy didn't kill dragons and take their treasure.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 am

Flex wrote:
halabar wrote:

Pretty sure Indy didn't kill dragons and take their treasure.

No, he killed Nazis and evil cults and took their treasure. :lol:

halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 am

I wonder what dear old Njal would think about the coming archeology changes...

halabar

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 am

halabar wrote:
Flex wrote:Pretty sure Indy didn't kill dragons and take their treasure.

No, he killed Nazis and evil cults and took their treasure. :lol:

dammit you beat me to it

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 am

Heck, Indy even fought aliens...

halabar

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 am

Fought... returned a crystal skull with psychic powers to them... same thing.

As for archeology, I worked on it with my alchemist up until somewhere in Outlands (maybe beginning of Northrend) then just completely lost the drive. Not even the current shinies are enough of a draw for me to want to finish it. The completionist/OCD side of me is screaming because at this rate, I'll never have the nerd points and the skill level will remain uncapped.

Other secondary profs:
FA is useful for arenas/BGs, but has largely lost its usefulness during raids. As it currently stands, my oldest character (my Priest) is sitting somewhere between LK and Cata FA, and ONLY because I finally made the push through Mageweave to continue leveling the profession (this xpac.) I'm somewhat annoyed that I can't drop a secondary profession, because my pally is sitting at 1/75, and I never planned to level it, but it irks me to have it trained and uncapped. Monetarily, FA is worthless.

Fishing is useful to obtain mats for cooking. It can also be a great time killer while I'm watching movies or something (unlike with Arch, I can sit in a single location and fish with very little attention required.) Fishing has some definite monetary benefits since you can fairly easily sell the mats for people leveling cooking (who CBA to level fishing themselves) or those who need the mats for fish feasts/other buff food. That being said, I wish it didn't take so long to cap out.

Cooking is useful for food buffs. It has monetary benefits when it comes to selling the food to those that CBA to level cooking themselves (though thanks to Pilgrims Bounty, 1~350 is incredibly easy to get.)

If you hate leveling a particular secondary (or primary for that matter) you really only need to get to 75, then you can get the "freebie" points from the DMF every month. This is currently how I've capped Engineering on my mage, Inscription on my Shaman, and how I get passed annoying sections in the various professions. Sure, this would take 105 months (8y 9m) to go from 75 to 600, but if you don't need the profession for something "right now" then it will allow you to eventually cap the ones you wouldn't normally care to work on.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:43 am

actually fa becomes useful with the cloud serpent dailies - you get a daily for each of the 4 secondary proffesions each day that gives an additional 125 rep (each, so 500 rep total per day), so far I've only had "go bandage the injured hatchlings" for FA, and I haven't gotten around to doing the arch daily (gather X fragments), but it can cut down on the process of gaining rep with them.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby bldavis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 am

in that case, i am glad i have all 6 professions maxed on my hunter

bldavis

Postby Nooska » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am

^same - though I was leaning towards levelling my protadin first, though no fishing and cooking not up to par either, and no arch (well just enough for darkmoon faire, both fishing and arch), hmmm must think more and discuss with officers/raidleader soon™
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta