The lameness of Archeology..

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

The lameness of Archeology..

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 pm

So, remember all those great neat little items in Cata from Archeology?

Pandaland? Fuggggeettaboouutittt.....

http://mop.wowhead.com/news=205467/mists-of-pandaria-new-archaeology-solves-news-round-up

I had fears about this, but was hoping they would add more stuff. But I don't think we are gonna see anything else at this point.

The real slap in the face is the achievements... talk about a worthless grind. "Hey, if they solve the same grey item 5 times, let's give them an achievement!!! woot!, and when they do the same lame item 20 times, give them another one! woot!"

Yeah, right...

I will not waste my time doing 1 dig in Panderia if they don't add other stuff. This is utter BS.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: The lameness of Archeology..

Postby Newsom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 pm

I like these changes. It looks like they're attempting to make Archaeology more about the lore and less about shiny epics.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Newsom wrote:I like these changes. It looks like they're attempting to make Archaeology more about the lore and less about shiny epics.

There's lore in getting 10 achievement points for solving 20 of the same grey item? No thanks...

I'd be happy with pets, or even a rare mount to chase. But I see nothing compelling with what is there sofar.

halabar

Postby bldavis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 pm

halabar wrote:
Newsom wrote:I like these changes. It looks like they're attempting to make Archaeology more about the lore and less about shiny epics.

There's lore in getting 10 achievement points for solving 20 of the same grey item? No thanks...

I'd be happy with pets, or even a rare mount to chase. But I see nothing compelling with what is there sofar.

there is lore in turning the random pristine (i think that is what they are called) artifacts and checking out what the plaques say

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 pm

bldavis wrote:
halabar wrote:

there is lore in turning the random pristine (i think that is what they are called) artifacts and checking out what the plaques say

Yes, but you could grind out that lore in a lazy saturday.

In comparison, Cata had 18 epic arch finds, 14 rare. And we are getting 4 rare this first go around?...

halabar

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 pm

And where the heck is my Doctor title anyway..

halabar

Postby bldavis » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:37 pm

halabar wrote:And where the heck is my Doctor title anyway..

this one i agree with
i want to see Theck get it so he can be Doctor Theck in game as well as on these forums!

then again, if we had a doctor title, i would have to make a toon named either Cox or Howser
(and no not Jesse Cox)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Newsom » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Or rather, I like that there are no raid viable epics I'd consider spending insane amounts of time getting like in early Cata.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Newsom wrote:Or rather, I like that there are no raid viable epics I'd consider spending insane amounts of time getting like in early Cata.

Forget those, just give us some pets, mounts, and some arch-only Tmog gear.

halabar

Postby daishan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 am

I have to agree that raid level epics where just bad, I farmed for the troll sword for my os and the dwarf staff for my priest for months and never got them, was real frustrating.
Pets and mounts would be nice can still get annoying if they don't drop but not nearly as bad as when the lack of the drop is hurting your raid performance.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby stevos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:28 am

It seems to me that they gave up with it, the moment they added it.

Outside the mounts and the raid level gear, nothing really makes people want to spend a huge amount of time grinding archy spots.

Make the blues BoE and then at least there would be a market open to you.
stevos

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:10 am

I thought the original idea behind it was pretty cool. But now it's just lame and getting lamer. Why would I want to go farm for the same item that will 99% likely state the same exact thing as the other items just like it?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:01 am

Archaeology is worse than fishing.

Horrible game design, I can't believe none of the project leads said "guys this isn't fun so we're going to have to can it". It was further proof that people will do anything in this game no matter how obnoxious for epics. Now instead of a tedious RNG item grind it's an achievement point grind. Plus ça change...

/rant
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Mannstein » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:21 am

To be honest there isn't much more they can do with archeology...

A) They cannot put a title for each type of archeology site. i.e. if you have farmed more dwarf grey items you could be Dwarfen Loremaster, if you had concentrated on Troll's you would be Troll Seer, Elven Conservator, etc.

B) They cannot put a reputation that ONLY raises with turning in grey items, and put some non-raid items and cosmetics, and some BoP enchants that are = to normal enchants/inscription, (i.e. nice to have but not mandatory).

C) Neither add a trader that exchanges 3/4/5 grey items for those things that help research.

D) And it's impossible to create non-epic BoA sets that can be transmog. Dwarf full plate armour, Silvermoon guard armour, cloth High Elf mage set, Draenai futurist hunter\mail gear, Orc plate gear...

E) IT's impossible to create a BoA set that needs diferent dig sites and changes the druid forms, armour, feathers, Runes... etc.

TLDR: The only limit is one's imagination.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby degre » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 am

To be fair I like what they've done.

By removing epics they have removed the 'compulsory' bit, this profession is now completely unnecessary and optional, which means that if you care you do it, if you don't find it appealing you have no use for it and can be ignored completely.

On top of the above they have actually added some nice lore that can be discovered while farming, so while you are already farming to get your items, now you can have some tasty bit of lore while you do it that give a use for those greys, instead of just being sold for a gold or two.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta