Darksiders II

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Darksiders II

Postby Aubade » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:04 am

Lets do this. Anyone else pick it up?
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Re: Darksiders II

Postby Gracerath » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Not yet but I've been watching a little bit of it on youtubes. I love the voice acting for Death. I think his face looks dumb though.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Did you play the first one?

I'm extremely impressed with the upgrades they've made from the 1st game to the 2nd game. They've kept the dungeon feel and playstyle of the game and added a severe RPG element to it in the form of inventory > Stat's > Skill trees > More abilitys. And a lot more sidequests!! wooo
Aubade

Postby Torquemada » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 am

Torquemada

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 am

Would you recommend playing DS1 before picking up DS2, or does it stand on its own well enough?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 am

Gameplay wise DS2 stands on it's own. They made a lot of changes for the btter with #2. Story wise, you HAVE to play DS1 to understand why Death is trying to clear War's name.
Aubade

Postby Aubade » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 am

Oh, that being said, DS1 is pretty short. DS2 is not haha

DS1 can be beat in a day, God of War style. Very heavy on story, but more play-less "SLAM X AS HARD AS POSSIBLE". With zelda-like Dungeons.

The story is what compelled me to finish the first one mainly. It's loosely based on the apocalypse as described in the bible, and in case you didn't know. War (First game's main character) and Death (2nd game's main character) Are 2 of the Four Horsemen of the apocalypse. I personally LOVE the art style and Story of the game, as well as being a huge zelda fan so the style of puzzles really hits home with me. The environments are very dark and evil feeling.

The sidequests in the first game though (Collecting the apocalyptic armor set, other collectibles) are NOT worth your time, they don't offer much, and they're hard to do without a guide telling you exactly where they are.

I suggest powering through the first one in a couple days just to pick up all the story, then going all out in DarkSiders 2.
Aubade

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Veddy interesting. A friend described the original Darksiders as being "Zelda for Adults."

I had picked up Disgaea 4 the other day because I remember plowing hundreds of hours into Disgaea 1 and 2, but after fifteen minutes I'm already bored senseless.

I'll have to take a gander. After the disappointment of Skyward Sword I could use a good Zelda game ...
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:14 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Veddy interesting. A friend described the original Darksiders as being "Zelda for Adults."

I had picked up Disgaea 4 the other day because I remember plowing hundreds of hours into Disgaea 1 and 2, but after fifteen minutes I'm already bored senseless.

I'll have to take a gander. After the disappointment of Skyward Sword I could use a good Zelda game ...

Yeah the first one is definitely that way. the dungeons feel the same, You get a horse eventually, you get items in a similar fashion. Little interaction with story characters outside of main storyline. and the sidequests are not at all explained, they're just "Ooh I found this thing, I wonder if there's more."

It's almost exactly the same, with god-of-war combat.
Aubade

Postby culhag » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:38 am

Aubade wrote:Oh, that being said, DS1 is pretty short. DS2 is not haha

DS1 can be beat in a day, God of War style. Very heavy on story, but more play-less "SLAM X AS HARD AS POSSIBLE". With zelda-like Dungeons.

I guess if you know the game perfectly and rush like mad you could do it in a day.
It took me 22 hours to finish it (according to Steam), I wouldn't call that short.

Great game though, and can probably be picked up for cheap.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14 am

culhag wrote:

I guess if you know the game perfectly and rush like mad you could do it in a day.
It took me 22 hours to finish it (according to Steam), I wouldn't call that short.

22 hours < 1 day ;)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:53 am

Skye1013 wrote:
culhag wrote:

22 hours < 1 day ;)

O.o Maybe i'm just really amazing or something. it took me 16 hours, 1 death haha
Aubade

Postby Aubade » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Just got to Lost-light (3rd major zone). This game is awesome..

The only gripe I have about it is the item stats. They're a lot like Diablo III (It takes about 15 items to find one that has stats you'll actually want.

So far pacing/story/difficulty is pretty good, although things are getting somewhat easy for me now, due to my habit of finding Possessed weapons and immediately spending all my money on upgrading them to do ridiculous damage. I have been stacking STR like nuts, and can kill the "Hard mini-boss brutes" In about......2 possessed Str casts. with no healing since I have 50% crit, and a decent amount of Health on crit.

I really should be playing this on apocalyptic instead of normal haha.
Aubade

Postby Torquemada » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Played Darksiders 1 on the advice from this thread. Really came off as Zelda mixed with God of War with heavy WoW art (Death Knight riding a Warlock mount). All of which adds up to sheer awesome. Looking foward to them fixing the PC version for steam.
Torquemada

Postby Aubade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Yeah that's Darksiders lol. Glad you liked it!

Just finished the 3rd major zone in DS2. working on the final one now =] Gonna have 100% completion too haha, I've been following a guide for all of the collectables. like 45 hours in or something like that, so they definitely added a LOT more content.
Aubade

Next

Return to Other Games