Remove Advertisements

So I heard Blizzard is losing customers

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: So I heard Blizzard is losing customers

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 am

My password is a old nickname of mine, anyone who knows me since 10 years or so knows it :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am

Worldie wrote:My password is a old nickname of mine, anyone who knows me since 10 years or so knows it :P

this is mine too
i havent been known by it since my jr year of hs, 11 yrs ago?
the symbols and numbers are completely unrelated to this nickname though

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:09 am

All my passwords are randomly generated using a password manager.

... except my WoW password. I figure because I have an authenticator doodad and mobile phone security alerts enabled I can get away with it and BNet doesn't allow for very good passwords to be made anyway.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Worldie wrote:I have used the same password for everything for over 15 years and I only got hacked once (i was stupid enough to be keylogged, i suck). I think if you are able to just keep your computer secure any password would do.

This is going to bite you in the arse eventually. You might be secure, but the sites you're giving this password to are probably not. I'm pretty careful, and have never to my knowledge been compromised at my end through phishing or keylogger. However, my paypal was illegally accessed (sent $300 to Taiwan) when it was using my "everywhere" password. In other words, someone got a bunch of email addresses and passwords from a compromised site (a forum, or some other website), and tried the same combos in PayPal.

Same reason you should always have a completely unique password on any email accounts you have. A lot of sites use email address as a username, and if you use the same password there as on the email account then you've just given that site, and anyone who breaks it, access to your email. Since email is usually used for password reset features, you've probably just given them access to every online account you have.
rodos

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:32 pm

which is why i have different email passwords
most things use the same base one, but email ones are completely different

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm

degre wrote:I employ a number of different passwords and I don't believe I'd be able to remember a bunch of 1Bfq7r!# pass, more likely I'll have to write it down somewhere and what's the point in having a secret password if you have to write it where can be found?

Found by whom? Unless you keep hackers physically around your computer, writing down a password may not be that big of a deal. I don't do it at work, but the whiteboard next to my computer at home is full of passwords. I'm not worried about anyone who gets into my home office having access to that list, and it's probably too cryptic for them to make heads or tails of it anyhow.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby rodos » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
degre wrote:I employ a number of different passwords and I don't believe I'd be able to remember a bunch of 1Bfq7r!# pass, more likely I'll have to write it down somewhere and what's the point in having a secret password if you have to write it where can be found?

Found by whom? Unless you keep hackers physically around your computer, writing down a password may not be that big of a deal. I don't do it at work, but the whiteboard next to my computer at home is full of passwords. I'm not worried about anyone who gets into my home office having access to that list, and it's probably too cryptic for them to make heads or tails of it anyhow.

If someone has physical access to a computer, you can assume they have access to everything on that computer*. In that context, if they're reading the passwords off your whiteboard you have other (bigger) problems. Either it's the Feds - in which case they'll get what they want somehow, or it's a burglar - in which case they'll just take your computer and not care a whit about your passwords. Similarly - I was once burgled (while I was at asleep in the house!) and the guy took my mobile phone and rifled through my wallet. He didn't touch my credit or debit cards, because he just wanted quick cash.

* Even if you use full-disk encryption, someone who really cares could plant a hardware keylogger that you'd never notice.
rodos

Postby degre » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 am

I just don't find whiteboards to be very practical to take with me if I want to access the site from somewhere else.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Passionario » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:10 pm

rodos wrote:Same reason you should always have a completely unique password on any email accounts you have. A lot of sites use email address as a username, and if you use the same password there as on the email account then you've just given that site, and anyone who breaks it, access to your email. Since email is usually used for password reset features, you've probably just given them access to every online account you have.

Better yet, use two-step authentication for your email accounts. Gmail, for instance, has an option of sending you an SMS confirmation code if someone tries to log in from an unverified IP.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Flex » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Lieris wrote:BNet doesn't allow for very good passwords to be made anyway.

This is completely false. The battle.net rules are pretty good at creating effectively secure forever passwords.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Vrimmel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Making complicated passwords is usually meaningless. Having your password cracked is very unrealistic. 99.9999% of the time someone will get your password through phishing, keylogging, password recovery and the occasional guessing of a stupid password.
Vrimmel

Previous

Return to General