Remove Advertisements

Gear check protadin

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Gear check protadin

Postby Solidwall » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:32 pm

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone as I'm new to this website. But anyway on with the main subject.

I feel like my pala tank is taking a bit more damage than the stats apply for. I got my ctc cap at 103.1% fully raid buff wich I'm trying to push down and my health is at 217k unbuffed(don't remember how much I got buffed at the moment I'm writing this). However the main issue here is if my gems are properly placed since I ignored the socket bonus in a couple of items to go on raw stamina. I also went with the mastery food instead of the dodge food to be able to free up some gems from mastery. So I would need a confirmation wether it's properly made or if I have anything to change. Here's the armory link http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Solidwall/advanced

Sorry if my english is bad or my thread doesnt look interesting, I'm not that much of a forum poster ^^

Anyway thanks in advance //Solid
Solidwall

Re: Gear check protadin

Postby Hespherus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:45 am

Hey Solidwall,

why dont you ask your healers if you are easy or hard to heal. I think they should be the ones to tell you if you take too much damage.

If they say you do, in my opinion, its more about your CD usage during the encounters, than your gearing.

Its practically what i did(went full Stamina in sockets, ignoring bonuses) and i dont feel like im taking too much damage.

Basically since the beginning of FL i feel like im not taking that much damage. I dont tank Hagara though, nor Madness, where obviously protadins dont exactly shine.
Hespherus

Postby Solidwall » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:46 am

Thank you for the answer. It didn't help much but I suppose there's not much to answer for if what you say is true. I have to say though that I don't fully agree with you on the Hagara/Madness part where I'd say they are very suitable for just paladins. But anyway, my main question in this was if it was smart to ignore the socket bonuses that I did in order to gain raw stamina so I suppose wer're done here. So thanks again :)
Solidwall

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 am

Not exactly sure why you're saying Paladins aren't shining on Madness...we were made for that fight (especially normal mode) where we can cancel out 2 impales just by ourselves. Sure, DKs may be slightly better, but only if they're able to get a blood shield up.

Socket bonuses have been largely ignored in T13 content by a lot of tanks. I personally keep them because I run with 8% hit and 26 exp and still have roughly 243k hp buffed. However, I've been running with capped hit/exp since T12 days just because I hate seeing misses on my abilities. I've never really had healers complain I'm hard to heal unless I'm running in full DPS gear and even then, now a days at least, they're happy to be healing something and feeling useful.

The best advice is always to talk to your healers and play around with your character on Chardev.org until 5.0 when it becomes outdated again and will 99.5% likely not be updated again as the developer has not played WoW in months and I'm yet to see anyone take over the project.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Hespherus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 am

Fenrìr wrote:Not exactly sure why you're saying Paladins aren't shining on Madness...we were made for that fight (especially normal mode) where we can cancel out 2 impales just by ourselves. Sure, DKs may be slightly better, but only if they're able to get a blood shield up.

I mean Madness HC and when you have the option of a DK that can trivialize Phase 2 and tetanus, you will obviously go with the DK. You can do it, never said you cant, but there are better tanks for the job.
Hespherus

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Dks are really the only option that's better for P2. We have the ability to also remove our stacks of tetanus. However, he's not doing heroic Madness yet.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:59 pm

warroirs can remove then aswell with heroic leap, intervene...

but to be honest I never had more than 3 stacks here before my add died.
Schroom

Postby degre » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:01 am

Don't know, I've tanked Madness HC with my pally and never really had any class related issue... on impale we're easily sorted and with tetanus I never had any problem. Sure, there can be better, but saying we don't shine implies that there are issues with us, and there are not.

In the whole DS the only boss where I really problems due to my class was Yor, the rest? Pally as valid an option as all the rest.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby theckhd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 am

Tetanus is sort of irrelevant on 25-man anyhow. We used 2 paladin tanks, and it was trivially dealt with by simply alternating tanks. One tank holds both mobs, gets ~4 stacks of tetanus, and the other tank uses RD. Lather, rinse, repeat until dead. Nobody's really in any danger.

If you're 1-tanking, DKs might have an advantage due to AMS, but we can just bubble+taunt and chain cooldowns. Also, on occasion (especially in alt raid) we've had a melee DPS DK just taunt both adds and take 4 stacks so the tank's will drop.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice