MoP Crafted gear....

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: MoP Crafted gear....

Postby Xequecal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:17 pm

The dragonling also deserves some notice. With 3 cogwheel sockets, you can get 1800 to secondary stats with that trinket, which could potentially be better than some of the ilvl 502 raid trinkets. The proc isn't great for tanks, but for DPS I don't see that getting replaced for a long, long time.

For example, compare this and this to the dragonling trinket. They don't look like they're much better, they might even be worse.
Xequecal

Postby daishan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Can you get a full 1800 of one secondary, I thought you couldn't put 2 of the same cogwheel in a single peace of gear?
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:32 pm

PsiVen wrote:http://mop.wowhead.com/item=77539

The design is cool, but I don't dig the green lens. I would probably transmog them into the Cataclysm goggles eventually.

The good news: At ilvl 476, the only upgrade available during Mogu'shan Vaults is the VP helm requiring Shado-Pan Revered.

The bad news: At ilvl 476, it will be immediately replaced by LFR or Normal Garalon or Tier once Heart of Fear is open. They also cost 6x Living Steel (the new Truegold) making them potentially more expensive than in Cataclysm.

Hunter ones always have green lenses. Tanks green too?

Yeah, the cost is high, but it's also lvl 87, which means you can use it a lot sooner.

Edit: For a hunter anyway, it's still comparable to the LFR helm, but you do loose one blue socket of stats. It's a bit lower, but not much.
Last edited by halabar on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:34 pm

daishan wrote:Can you get a full 1800 of one secondary, I thought you couldn't put 2 of the same cogwheel in a single peace of gear?

Not of one, but hunters at least can use 5 of the secondaries (3 from the trinket, and 2 from the helm).

Assuming you can reforge everything around, it might indeed be quite good.

halabar

Postby Xequecal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:51 pm

daishan wrote:Can you get a full 1800 of one secondary, I thought you couldn't put 2 of the same cogwheel in a single peace of gear?

No, you can't, and that's why it's not so good for tanks. You'll also have the engineering helm which takes up two cogwheel sockets. So if you have dodge/mastery in the helm, that leaves Parry as the only really useful tank stat you can put in your trinket. You can add hit and expertise on there but those are just convenience, they don't help you much. DPS classes can get DPS from all their secondary stats.
Xequecal

Postby halabar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I did some attempt at simming, and the trinket doesn't hold up at all once you start getting the raid trinkets. However, it certainly will be good for leveling, and unlike the goggles, it's cheap to make. Any engineer will be making scads of them to level most likely.

halabar

Postby daishan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Tbh I think I'll be valuing hit/exp over dodge/parry with the way the active mitigation will work in MoP.
Will depend a lot on the other drops you get, could well be worth having helm or trinket for a fair bit of prog.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:06 pm

bldavis wrote:.....

thank god for tmogging?
(is there an engineering-ish eye patch?)

Speak for yourself. I, for one, welcome our Tesla-coil wearing engineering overlords.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby halabar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:10 pm

theckhd wrote:
bldavis wrote:.....

thank god for tmogging?
(is there an engineering-ish eye patch?)

Speak for yourself. I, for one, welcome our Tesla-coil wearing engineering overlords.

Already reserved Teslacoil for an alt name... :-)

halabar

Postby Lieris » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:08 pm

David Bowie to sell the goggles recipe.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:10 pm

I definitely intend to hit/exp cap ASAP, so Cogwheels would be pretty good for that. Unfortunately if you use the goggles and trinket together you need to come up with 5 different secondary stats, but a trinket with 597 dodge / 597 parry / 597 mastery still compares favorably to Heart of Fire and Brawler's Statue.

I don't think the dragonling will be even close to competitive with similar trinkets for DPS/Healers that use their primary stat, but tanks have a much closer primary/secondary stat balance.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby superworm » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Dragonling is OK, considering that hit/expertise are now more important to tanks. And it's very cheap to make. Engineering is already quite op with the new glove tinker Phase Fingers. I seriously hope that 20520 dodge is just a datamining error or it will be 3420 dodge on average which seems too overpowered.
superworm

Postby halabar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:43 pm

did some more testing, and for dps the goggles are likely equal the the LFR helm. So if the living steel is cheap enough, worth it at lvl 87.

Still looking at dropping Eng on my mage for JC though... don't really want to level my other JCer.

halabar

Postby Xequecal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:45 pm

superworm wrote:Dragonling is OK, considering that hit/expertise are now more important to tanks. And it's very cheap to make. Engineering is already quite op with the new glove tinker Phase Fingers. I seriously hope that 20520 dodge is just a datamining error or it will be 3420 dodge on average which seems too overpowered.

None of the profession perks are balanced perfectly. At this point you're basically guessing on whether or not/which one will get overlooked. Other problems:

1. All the Enchant Rings are +160, including Stamina. Stamina should be +240, but it's not, it's 160 like the main stats.
2. Just like in Cataclysm, there is no standard bracer enchant for stamina, but there is a Fur Lining - Stamina (750) from Leatherworking. Unlike in Cata, there's no standard Mastery enchant for bracers either, only a dodge enchant. So if stamina is more important, then LW becomes mandatory, and if dodge is more important, it becomes total crap. This imbalance didn't really manifest in Cata because every tank wanted Mastery, (or AGI for Druids, for which there was also a standard enchant) but MoP doesn't have a Mastery enchant either. LWs are stuck with taking stamina or losing their profession bonus, while everyone else is forced to stay with dodge.
3. Fur Linings are also slightly stronger than the other profession bonuses. The standard STR/AGI/INT bracer enchant is +170, Fur Lining gives +500 for an increase of 330. All the other profession bonuses for main stats only give +320. There's no direct comparison for the STA lining because there is no vanilla STA enchant, but on pure itemization value it is also stronger. The other stat enchants give +170, which is equivalent to 255 stamina, meaning the 750 stamina lining is giving a bonus of +495 stamina, while BS/JC can only get +480 STA from their bonuses.
4. The Inscription tank enchant is also slightly underpowered compared to LW/BS/JC, only giving +450 Stamina over the inscribe that everyone can use, while those three professions give +480/+495.
5. Phase Fingers is blatantly overpowered and will be 100% mandatory for every tank if they don't change it.
Xequecal

Postby halabar » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Xequecal wrote:5. Phase Fingers is blatantly overpowered and will be 100% mandatory for every tank if they don't change it.

Might that also be because it fits the active mitigation model that they are chasing?...

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta