Remove Advertisements

high king spike dmg and healing types

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

high king spike dmg and healing types

Postby Drusus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:23 pm

HAI GUIZ

Quick question on HKM.

Hes obviously known for his high spike dmg. As I found out first hand. I would like you guys to back me up on this though, I'm wondering what my problem with this boss is.

Apparently I was taking way to much spike dmg to tank him, there was 2 healers on my, a resto druid and a holy pally. both in Good kara gear.

We did not have anyone else on HKM(no demo shout no TC)

I was buffed with a fort flask

I do not have reckoning in my build

I have about 13000 HP unbuffed 17000 buffed

The link to my armory is in my sig below.

I have seen pallys with much less do this boss, I was thinking about this and I was wondering how many healers you usually have on you for this and what type are they, for this kind of spike is 1 fat heal class enough when coupled with a resto druid? or is that sufficient and I should just have a warrior for TC and demo shout get on HKMs nuts with me?

Thanks for the help
Drusus

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:41 pm

2 healers are not enough to keep you up considering you aren't outgearing.

You should have 3 at least, possibly shaman/priests to keep up armor buff. Also HoTs might be useful but not that much, they cant really outheal Maulgar Spikes. The few times i've tanked him i've had priest+shaman+druid on me.

Also probably your 2 healers don't know what precasting is. Healing you when you take damage doesn't work. You might be 100% hp and suddently take a 12k istagib and then the next melee coming in 2 seconds will oneshot you because they will still be casting that 2.5 seconds big heal.

You should also absolutely press for a warrior helping with debuffs AND providing shout (1k free HP), or at least for Curse of Weakness if you cannot get the warrior. Consider also using Ironshield potions.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Drusus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:43 pm

They are pretty experienced healers but I thought the problem might lay in the hot + one fat heal like you said. Thanks, I know this encounter is easy because we almost had everything down before the rogues missed a kick and wiped the raid. That was with the druid pally combo.
Drusus

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:52 pm

Just wondering, how can a missed kick wipe the raid with almost everything down o_O?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Drusus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:24 am

let me rephrase that, it was serveral missed heals on the healer, he healed himself to full twice,if they had have made the kicks by that time we would have had all the heals on me with everything down and we would have survived.
Drusus

Postby ulushnar » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:01 am

I do tend to start the fight with 2 healers these days, then again I've outgeared the fight with 15.3k unbuffed health and even then the first add-tank healer to become free comes to join in healing me.

Back when I first tried tanking him (helping another Raid group) with stats slightly worse than the ones you had, (I think I was at about 12.5k unbuffed), I had three healers (well two and a boomkin who was offhealing). That made the attempt pretty much survivable. A third healer (even an offspec one) is probably beneficial at your level of gear. The offspec can always go DPS once some of the full healers have stopped healing the add tanks.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby gwayne » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:45 am

Drusus wrote:let me rephrase that, it was serveral missed heals on the healer, he healed himself to full twice,if they had have made the kicks by that time we would have had all the heals on me with everything down and we would have survived.

Don't you kill the priest first? Yes HKM is really about the pull but there's still quite a lot of dpsing to be done. If you arn't killing the priest first then I guess it could be a different situation. I love how it's always rogues that get blamed for not interrupting. It's not like any warriors, shamans or mages could interrupt now is it? :P
Gwayne
<CTSamurai>
Neptulon-EU
gwayne

Postby Scarzi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 am

Honestly, don't tank him. Druid tanking him is ez mode, they can do it easy with only one healer....stick to tanking fast attacking bosses that don't hit like a truck. If your guild has warriors/druid tanks aswell you should be selective for fights.

Heavy spike damage(ex. HKM, tidewalker, Archimonde)- Druids
Inbetween(lurker, alar, vashj)- Warriors and Paladins
Fast hitters (Leo)- Paladin

You can tank everything, yes but....

a. you have huge ego
b. your gimping progression
c. your wasting healers money pot'ing when they don't have to.
d. more healers are free to heal anyone incase something goes wrong

Let a druid do it, they can get solo healed and the healer picks his ass still. Its a hit or miss game with heavy hitters. Pretty simple.
Last time I checked, 38% dodge is better then stacking stamina.
Scarzi

Postby Palladia » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:07 am

Scarzi wrote:Honestly, don't tank him. Druid tanking him is ez mode, they can do it easy with only one healer....stick to tanking fast attacking bosses that don't hit like a truck. If your guild has warriors/druid tanks aswell you should be selective for fights.

Potential spike on Druids is way higher, you don't know what you're talking about. It's not like druids have 50% more mitigation than Paladins and Warriors, just so you know.
Palladia

Postby Canuun » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:21 am

Scarzi wrote:Let a druid do it, they can get solo healed and the healer picks his ass still. Its a hit or miss game with heavy hitters. Pretty simple.

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to believe a druid can tank HKM with only one healer unless you outgear the encounter by a significant margin.
Canuun

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag