help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobile?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

which term do you use?

cell
16
47%
mobile
18
53%
 
Total votes : 34

help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobile?

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 am

discussion ongoing with an editor at work, over what we standardize on for business cards and such..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Rhiannon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am

You should probably specify what demographic this is aimed at, I assume US, or NA in general. In the UK most of us say mobile, I always considered "cell" an americanism.
Rhiannon
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 am

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:19 am

Rhiannon wrote:You should probably specify what demographic this is aimed at, I assume US, or NA in general. In the UK most of us say mobile, I always considered "cell" an americanism.

What Rhia said.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11003
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby lythac » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 am

What Rhia said.

But I don't refer to my "mobile phone" as "my mobile" I refer to it as my "my phone". But I suppose you're having office and portable phone so you have to go with one or the other. What other numbers/e-mails do you have to have on it?

Image
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am


Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Gab » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 am

All the chaps at our UK office call it a Mobile. Everyone in the US calls it a Cell.

And are you guys hiring? If the scope of your job is arguing about meaningless shit, I can argue about meaningless shit all day long!
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 am

lythac wrote:What Rhia said.

But I don't refer to my "mobile phone" as "my mobile" I refer to it as my "my phone". But I suppose you're having office and portable phone so you have to go with one or the other. What other numbers/e-mails do you have to have on it?

Image


That's when my man crush on Christian Bale started.

American Psycho is to Christian Bale as Aliens is to Michael Biehn.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:38 am

Yeah, mobile here as an Englishman. Though mostly just "phone", these days.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6873
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 am

Gab wrote:All the chaps at our UK office call it a Mobile. Everyone in the US calls it a Cell.

And are you guys hiring? If the scope of your job is arguing about meaningless shit, I can argue about meaningless shit all day long!

same here


if you are just dealing with US customers, i would go with cell
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7382
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:55 am

Rhiannon wrote:You should probably specify what demographic this is aimed at, I assume US, or NA in general. In the UK most of us say mobile, I always considered "cell" an americanism.


US primarily, but it's for external use, emails, bios, business cards..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby halabar » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:57 am

Gab wrote:All the chaps at our UK office call it a Mobile. Everyone in the US calls it a Cell.

And are you guys hiring? If the scope of your job is arguing about meaningless shit, I can argue about meaningless shit all day long!


Well, someone has the set the standard for what we call the stuff on business cards and all that, I'm in the corporate communications group, so it's part of my job...

And no, not hiring.. unless you are a web content manager that can write very well...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Gab » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:50 pm

halabar wrote:Well, someone has the set the standard for what we call the stuff on business cards and all that, I'm in the corporate communications group, so it's part of my job...

And no, not hiring.. unless you are a web content manager that can write very well...


Yeah I was being slightly facetious.

I have issues with terminology all the time... Recently all of the UTC companies (through a Boeing directive apparently) decided that "Accept", "Confirm", "Pass" etc... were not appropriate results on an AS9102 first article inspection. The results must read "Conforms". THEY MEAN THE EXACT SAME THING! It was hard enough getting our suppliers to do one correctly in the first place with out all kinds of resistance. Although those documents are a little bit more critical than a business card it's still ridiculous.

Hmm... turned into a bit of frustration.
User avatar
Gab
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Wish you were here

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:21 pm

I refer to it as

my phone number
my cell phone
my mobile device
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6379
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I think probably the most proper term to use is mobile.

Though, "mobile celullar communications technology" could be interesting.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: help settle an arguement- do you say cell phone or mobil

Postby Lieris » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:39 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Yeah, mobile here as an Englishman. Though mostly just "phone", these days.


This.
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arjuna, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Arjuna, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest