Remove Advertisements

So I heard Blizzard is losing customers

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: So I heard Blizzard is losing customers

Postby rodos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Fridmarr wrote:A couple of other feathers in the WotLK hat... It was that the first time that every class was designed to be raid viable in all of their roles. They also had the draw of a new class which I think gave a lot of people the chance at a fresh start with something very different that content alone really can't quite deliver on.

Northrend also looked fantastic, and had some cool music. The re-worked world in Cata has some great spots too, but apart from Uldum I found the actual new zones to be a bit visually disappointing (I know some people really love Deepholm, but it didn't do much for me). Pandaria has some spectacular scenery which, combined with no initial flight like all pre-Cata xpacks, should bring back some of the excitement of exploration and discovery to the game.
rodos

Postby Fetzie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:49 pm

rodos wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:A couple of other feathers in the WotLK hat... It was that the first time that every class was designed to be raid viable in all of their roles. They also had the draw of a new class which I think gave a lot of people the chance at a fresh start with something very different that content alone really can't quite deliver on.

Northrend also looked fantastic, and had some cool music. The re-worked world in Cata has some great spots too, but apart from Uldum I found the actual new zones to be a bit visually disappointing (I know some people really love Deepholm, but it didn't do much for me). Pandaria has some spectacular scenery which, combined with no initial flight like all pre-Cata xpacks, should bring back some of the excitement of exploration and discovery to the game.

I know a lot of people don't like the swimming aspect of vashj'ir, but I still remember my jaw dropping when I saw the trench with Nes'pirah at the end of it. You can really tell that GC was a marine biologist.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:58 pm

I've had some time to think about it, and while beautiful, Vash'jir just creeps me out... I think it's the whale shark...

And as for Panda's travelling back in time... it won't be much different than "the world is falling apart because of Deathwing, oh wait, here, take this time portal to outlands where a lesser evil is being a pain, now go kill the Lich King and Deathwing will just chill out til you find the time to make it back to the present."

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about time travel, but it would be better if it was actually built into the storyline, instead of just happenstance because of how the leveling path works.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm afraid asking them to rebuild the whole game at every expansion would be just... "too much".
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Worldie wrote:I'm afraid asking them to rebuild the whole game at every expansion would be just... "too much".

True, but humans still walk like they came from some 8-bit arcade game. It makes the game feel(look) old, and not in a classic way. There are other things like that. Many trees look quite terrible - poorly-joined flat pieces of texture.

What was "good enough" in 2004 looks tired and low-tech today. Maybe not a complete rebuild, but some sprucing up wouldn't hurt.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby rodos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Worldie wrote:I'm afraid asking them to rebuild the whole game at every expansion would be just... "too much".

True, but humans still walk like they came from some 8-bit arcade game. It makes the game feel(look) old, and not in a classic way. There are other things like that. Many trees look quite terrible - poorly-joined flat pieces of texture.

What was "good enough" in 2004 looks tired and low-tech today. Maybe not a complete rebuild, but some sprucing up wouldn't hurt.

The water changes in Cata are nice if your rig can handle the higher levels (and the fgx drivers don't bug out). I actually installed Windows for the first couple of weeks of Cata so I could explore the news zones with everything turned up to max (Linux works fine day-to-day, but performance isn't great and the highest water detail is still buggy).

Are there any major graphics revamps in Mists? I thought I read something about new weather effects, but I might be mistaken.
rodos

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 am

The trees are still made of overlapping flat planes, but they do look a lot better than they did a few years ago. Aren't we still expecting new player models during this expansion? They said Dwarves would have been ready for launch, but are held because the others aren't done.

(What I think they should do, eventually, for the levelling path? Rebuild Outland - not to quite the extent of Cataclysm - to cover a larger level range, perhaps 45-70 (the zones are huge enough to break up into different-level subzones, might need to add some extra small quest hubs), and have EK, Kalimdor, and Outland as parallel levelling paths that go all the way to 70. Allows players more choice, and they could speed up levelling to cap without actually making you rush even faster through the zones.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:41 am

Skye1013 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm all about time travel, but it would be better if it was actually built into the storyline, instead of just happenstance because of how the leveling path works.

At some point if they keep going that whole mess will wind up being CoT instances, where you go out for full blown quests on the old continents. That will allow for a rework of the "present time", but really you have that problem everytime you go to an old zone and fight Twilight Cultists.. it's like, didn't these guys get the memo, we killed DW 25 times already, I'm wearing part of his head, get over it and move on...

At some point they'll need to go through and do another quest revamp.

But yes, they need to improve the models. It's really really needed.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 am

As far as I remind they said they are soon(tm) done with Dwarves and plan to redo Humans and Orcs right after.

I suppose patience will give us proper models... maybe less bouncy nightelves.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby degre » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:01 am

theckhd wrote:
degre wrote:To close, you say that WoW jumped the shark, but I remind you that the most popular expansion has been the casual oriented WotLK, unlike the hard Cata Heroics, and in MoP we have Pandas, LFR, cheesy heroics, Pokemon and FarmVille.

Keep in mind that "casual-oriented" is only one part of WotLK's success (and it's arguable how much - iirc numbers peaked during the first month or two of Wrath, before it really hit its casual-friendly 'lolheroics' stride, and steadily declined afterwards). Benebarba alluded to another factor earlier - Wrath was the last expansion that really covered lore from the RTS games, specifically WC3. Arthas was the big bad, in a sense. I know people who bought the expansion and resubscribed just to kill him.

Since then, we've more or less been forging new ground. Sure, Deathwing is old hat, but he wasn't a major plot point of WC3. Most of the actual story we're playing through now is either new material (as in, we're no longer exploring areas we saw in the RTS games) or material set up by the earlier WoW expansions (Twilight cult, Garrosh escalating the H/A conflict).

I know that I feel a closer connection to the first three expansions than to Cataclysm, just because of the nostalgia factor. I suspect that a lot of other players did too.

Well, yeah, it's one part, but it's a huge part when you think that casuals are the vast majority of players.

In Cata I can see the problem in the lack of content, when the expansion was released there was the fun of the revised old areas, but then we just lacked plain content.

I mean, in the first tier advanced players had Heroics and a nice tier of raids, once that was over we moved first to FL with its dailies and eventually to DS, with nothing. Raiders already want to cut themselves for boredom, for casuals was even worse, because heroics were hard for a lot of people, with no heroics and no raid what was left for them when Cata was released? Archaeology. Hurray.

To close, I'm not discounting other reasons and believe you and others have present solid ones, I'm just saying what I believe are the reasons behind the majority, old game, lack of content, the little content being totally unfriendly towards casuals.

PsiVen wrote:That said, there's a limit to the amount that story drives this game or any other Blizzard title. I've mentioned before that I was displeased with MoP until I realized that I stopped caring a long time ago that the story sometimes loses my interest, because the gameplay is what I'm here for. I think the vast majority of WoW players feel similarly, and the fallout from people actually quitting over "ugh Kung Fu Panda wtf" will be negligible as long as they release compelling content.

This very much.

And to be fair it looks like it's going in that direction; had a shot at the new instances and they're actually funny, entertaining.
The brewery is stupidly easy, in normalised gear (372 if I remember right) was a walk in the park but it amused me, there are nice mechanics that require you to move and keep your attention up, I loved how you have to drive the barrels on the first one, the bunny boss is a good laugh and the last boss actually has many a mechanic that makes it interesting.
The Jade Temple is not as good but I've still found it entertaining, and stepping up to Mogu'shan Palace was even upped the difficulty a bit in normalised gear, I've also found the last boss very entertaining with all the abilities and movement involved, nothing to compare with stuff like Madness, I've dozed off twice yesterday so much I was bored...

Plus all the other side content, scenarios, pets, dailies, farmville...
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 am

degre wrote:And to be fair it looks like it's going in that direction; had a shot at the new instances and they're actually funny, entertaining.

Plus all the other side content, scenarios, pets, dailies, farmville...

The question is, can they keep it up after T14?.. if not, I might finally be out.

There's a flip side to all that content too.. I'm nearly certain that only 2 of my toons will see 90 anytime soon in Pandaland. There's enough reps to grind and side content that there's no way I'm going to do all that content for the crafting reps on all the alts, especially since you can't level as easily by gathering... (I'm gonna miss leveling a toon to max by mining or herbing in Uldum).

halabar

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 am

For me (with my 16 lvl 85s) and most people, I doubt alts are going to see level 90 until most of those rep farming become obsolete. Which likely means in T15.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lieris » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 am

Northrend should have been the final expansion. Everything after that feels like a step down.

The way different zones exist in different timelines is a mess that I don't know if they can fix.

Also Azjol Nerub should have been its own zone and had a raid! /broken record
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:37 am

I think that the grind is one of the biggest negatives for me in MoP. After looking over the changes to the classes, it was a big deterrent to think about how grindy the whole thing is going to be, and realizing that most of that work would need to be done over if I were to main change (shudder) because I find that I don't like my class.

The grind really killed the fun for me. Tabard championing reps in dungeons was a great addition to me, I loved it. Sons of Hodir, and Therazane style rep grinds (which seems to be the model they are moving more towards in MoP) just have absolutely no grab for me. That might be because The Argent Tournament sapped my joy, and then Cataclysm killed any joy left in questing for me, with it's linear model of zones, and lack of options in where to quest.

By the time the RDF was introduced into the game, I was blowing through dungeons as often as possible. When leveling (remember, I don't play pures) healing and tanking dungeons were just faster leveling methods, and once I was at max level, championing reps in dungeons kept me motivated to keep running dungeons, and once I was done with the reps, having BoE's I could sell from running dungeons certainly kept me running them longer than anything else.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 am

Shoju wrote:I think that the grind is one of the biggest negatives for me in MoP. After looking over the changes to the classes, it was a big deterrent to think about how grindy the whole thing is going to be, and realizing that most of that work would need to be done over if I were to main change (shudder) because I find that I don't like my class.

The grind really killed the fun for me. Tabard championing reps in dungeons was a great addition to me, I loved it. Sons of Hodir, and Therazane style rep grinds (which seems to be the model they are moving more towards in MoP) just have absolutely no grab for me. That might be because The Argent Tournament sapped my joy, and then Cataclysm killed any joy left in questing for me, with it's linear model of zones, and lack of options in where to quest.

By the time the RDF was introduced into the game, I was blowing through dungeons as often as possible. When leveling (remember, I don't play pures) healing and tanking dungeons were just faster leveling methods, and once I was at max level, championing reps in dungeons kept me motivated to keep running dungeons, and once I was done with the reps, having BoE's I could sell from running dungeons certainly kept me running them longer than anything else.

Uhh.. the reps really have nothing at all to do with raiding. For crafting, they are mostly mandatory, but for raiding? nope. MoP tabards are NOT for gaining rep, they are rewards (back to TBC model).

Personally, I get so sick of running dungeons over and over, regardless of the rep.

It does sound like MoP will be somewhat linear in the questing, as there are major storylines, but assuming you need the rep, you'll want to do it all anyway. Raiders can just smash dungeons to level and skip that if desired.

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General