Mists of Pandaria protection stats.

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Mists of Pandaria protection stats.

Postby theckhd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 am

That's... actually a good question. I'm not sure what exactly tlitp is looking to get from that test.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fetzie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:27 am

I'll make a paladin, set it to auto-attack and go watch some athletics then.

For fuck's sake, there is this dud who seems to be content to kill the dummy I'm attacking >.>
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Ashyen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:42 am

Pretty sure there are lvl 90 dumies in Shrine of the seven stars now, bu I'd have to double check
Ashyen

Postby Darielle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Out of curiosity, now that Strength's been buffed, is there a good way to account for Strength's enormously buffed Parry conversion, and the AP scaling into WoG?
Darielle

Postby daishan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:11 am

Darielle wrote:Out of curiosity, now that Strength's been buffed, is there a good way to account for Strength's enormously buffed Parry conversion, and the AP scaling into WoG?

Ye would be very interesting to know just how useful that legendary strength gem will be for us, as Blizz don't seem to be giving us a stam or mastery one -.-
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:59 am

Well, I've been testing a bit, and Strength seems to be giving slightly more than a 1:1 conversion on Parry.

That is, 880 Str ~= 950 Parry, pre-Kings. 880 Strength > 880 Parry.

Obviously, Parry is budgeted at 2x secondary stats, so the question would be how much the AP comes into play.
Darielle

Postby daishan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:34 am

Thx for the testing, that's a better conversion rate than I was thinking we where getting in mop.
I guess to compare the advantage of giving it to a tank over a dps we need to know how much it increases our dps compared with an actual dpser, then decide if the raid dps loss is worth the extra avoidance and healing from WoG.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:44 am

Well, it's not just healing form WoG. If a person's waiting on Bastion stacks, they're not using WoG all that much. But - how much value can be placed on things like the raid healing potential of Holy Prism, Light's Hammer? That's a tough one.
Darielle

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 am

Darielle wrote:Out of curiosity, now that Strength's been buffed, is there a good way to account for Strength's enormously buffed Parry conversion, and the AP scaling into WoG?

Darielle wrote:Well, I've been testing a bit, and Strength seems to be giving slightly more than a 1:1 conversion on Parry.

Obviously, Parry is budgeted at 2x secondary stats, so the question would be how much the AP comes into play.

Are you talking about the Cata->MoP buff, or a more recent buff within beta? Because as far as I know, it's still ~951 STR or 885 parry rating per 1% pre-DR parry. Counting Kings, that means you'd need 905.9 STR to get the same avoidance increase as 885 parry.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Darielle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 am

DC'ing any time I log onto the Beta now, but I compared using the 880 Strength trinket from Spine stacked up, and how much Parry Rating I had to reforge for to get the same Parry%, sans Kings, and the Str was winning - I'd gained 902 Parry Rating, and still had 0.3% Parry less from the Parry Rating. If I replace a Cataclysm Parry/Stam gem with a Str/Hit gem, Parry goes up as well.

That was like 7 hours ago ish. Someone should probably double check to see if they're getting the same thing, but when the Beta stops crashing, I'll replicate it again - easy enough to unreforge and equip the Str trinket.
Darielle

Postby theckhd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:05 am

I just checked with an 85 premade, and I definitely gained ~0.2% parry going from a 40 parry gem to a 40 STR gem, unbuffed. So something does seem to have changed about the STR->parry conversion rate. I'd appreciate some data sets from L90 characters, if anyone can provide them. Str/dodge/parry while naked and then at various (str, parry rating) ordered pairs.
theckhd

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:35 am

Darielle wrote:Well, I've been testing a bit, and Strength seems to be giving slightly more than a 1:1 conversion on Parry.

Parry is budgeted at 2x secondary stats? I thought 1 Str = 1 Rating
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby daishan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:41 am

I think he means for the gems you get to have double the amount of a secondary stat compared with primary's

http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=107705 160 str
http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=107708 320 parry
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Yeah, the gems part.
Darielle

Postby theckhd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 am

Don't want to derail this thread, but I think the issue Darielle observed is limited to lvl 85 (or at the very least, <90). I just re-confirmed that my DR equations for level 90 are correct - 1% pre-DR parry for ~951 STR or 885 parry rating. Details will be posted shortly in the Call to Arms thread.

My guess is that they just re-tuned the scaling of the str->parry coefficient (and possibly the rating->parry one as well) at lower levels, because they left L90 untouched.

<edit> link added.
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta