Re: Whats best blood dk tanking race

Postby bldavis » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:13 pm

same as any other tanking class
they all have perks
basically choose the race you like and go with it

as far as proffesions, well same as any other tank
typically JC/BS is the strongest combo
ring enchants from enchanting,
trinket (maybe) from alch and engineering (along with tinkers)
leg armor and wrist enchants from LW
the only ones i would steer away from are tailoring and herbalism

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:05 pm

***Please note, some or all of these might change for the xpac. This especially holds true for professions.***

If you base it on racials:

Humans - Expertise w/Swords & Maces; Everyman for Himself (can be useful occasionally for stuns and such)
Dwarves - Stoneform (is this any good anymore?); Expertise w/Maces
Draenei - Gift of the Naaru (limited use, but better than nothing); Hit
Gnomes - Escape Artist (very limited use)
Worgen - Sprint; Crit
Nightelf - Dodge; Shadowmeld (might be useful for tank swaps?)

Orcs - Blood Fury; pet damage (both useful for more damage, but nothing "tanky")
Trolls - Berserk (again, better for increased dps); Da Voodoo Shuffle (reduced snares)
Tauren - Warstomp (AoE stun); HP
Forsaken - Will of the Forsaken (weaker Everyman)
Blood Elves - Arcane Torrent (AoE silence/interrupt w/built in RP boost); Magic Resist
Goblins - Haste; Rocket boots/bombs

I know this isn't every racial, but it's the ones I could potentially see useful for a DK. If I've misremembered any, please feel free to correct me, as I'm currently at work and unable to look up an exhaustive list.

As for professions, bldavis pretty much covered that. JC/BS gives the most versatility and with Epic gems, BS pulls ahead a little stat-wise.
Last edited by Skye1013 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:10 pm

dwarves also get expir with maces, gnomes get it with swords (though i think it is one hand only so its not that useful for tanking)

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Yeah, I had thought there was something else for Dwarves, and I left out the Gnome racial, since it isn't useable by DK tanks (though would be good for War tanks.)
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Yeah, I had thought there was something else for Dwarves, and I left out the Gnome racial, since it isn't useable by DK tanks (though would be good for War tanks.)

AND PALAD...oh wait....

as far as stoneform, it is nice and i treat it as another minor cooldown on my dwarf pally

bldavis

Postby rodos » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 am

Draenei get +1% hit, which I believe they're keeping for Mists. Not sure if DK tanks will need to be hit capped, but if they do it's a nice perk because it also benefits you if you run a DPS off-spec.
rodos

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 am

Hm... yes, I tend to forget about that since it doesn't show anywhere except your stat sheet (well... perhaps the General tab in the spellbook, but who even looks at that anymore?)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:10 am

Skye1013 wrote:Hm... yes, I tend to forget about that since it doesn't show anywhere except your stat sheet (well... perhaps the General tab in the spellbook, but who even looks at that anymore?)

:shock:
there is a general page?

tbh, i forgot about it too, and my warrior is a draenei

i got distracted by tail waggle? :?

bldavis

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:01 pm

I will tell you what I have been telling most people. Unless you are pushing the very bleeding edge of progression, There is no racial that will make or break progression.

You also forgot Da Voodoo Shuffle on trolls, which reduces the effect of movement impairing effects by 15%. not huge, but still a nice little bonus.

For me, I started out as an NE DK Tank, because I wanted to prove to myself I could level an NE Fem and not gouge my eyes out from the bouncing in place. When I moved my DK to my horde server, I chose troll, because you didn't see many Troll DKs.

I never ran bleeding edge content (pushing for world / server first), but I never heard my healers tell me that they wished I was a cow for more HP
I never ran bleeding edge content (pushing for world / server first), but I never heard my DPSers tell me that they wished I was an Orc / Goblin for easier threat (prior to the threat nerf).
I never ran bleeding edge content (pushing for world / server first), and I never heard my raiders tell me that they wished I was a hot or ugly chick for rounding up groups of casters easier.
I never ran bleeding edge content (pushing for world / server first), and I never heard my raiders tell me that they wished I was a zombie for WotF.

While I was an Alliance player I did raid Ulduar briefly, and I never heard anyone say "THANK GOD YOU HAD 1% MORE AVOIDANCE!"

On the other hand,
I did hear my healers applaud me for my ease to heal, because I made sure to spec, gem, gear, and enchant to make their jobs easier.
I did hear my DPS applaud me (when threat was 'srs bznss') for knowing how to balance out when to push more DPS as tank.
I did hear my raiders say "WOW THAT WAS SO COOL WHEN YOU USED "insert skill here" TO DO THAT!"

At the level of progression that most Maintankadiners are at, racials are a nice perk, but they aren't needed, and they wont be a "make or break" type of thing. Focus on finding the class that suits you, a race that you don't mind staring at, and learn the class. Knowing the little things about your class will do FAR MORE to improve your raiding experience than anything else.
Shoju

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:13 pm

I still think an extra 10% physical damage reduction cooldown (Stoneform) beats most of the others, but, well, 10% isn't all that much, and it's a shorter duration than class cooldowns.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:50 pm

@Shoju: I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the racials that could be beneficial towards the stated goal of DK tanking. That being said, the OP hasn't commented since the start, so this thread is probably moot anyway.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I still think an extra 10% physical damage reduction cooldown (Stoneform) beats most of the others, but, well, 10% isn't all that much, and it's a shorter duration than class cooldowns.

Oh, I would agree. If I were still playing, and thinking about making a tanking DK, Dwarf would probably top the list, because of the cooldown. It may not be a lot, but it's another tool in the toolbox.

Skye1013 wrote:@Shoju: I don't disagree. I was just pointing out the racials that could be beneficial towards the stated goal of DK tanking. That being said, the OP hasn't commented since the start, so this thread is probably moot anyway.

I know. I was just adding my .02$ on it, hopefully in a way that conveyed my real point (if you have to ask, it probably doesn't matter to your progression) without sounding like a giant jerk.
Shoju

Postby Tar-Leim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:55 am

There is a problem, that I have found, with goblins, gnomes and dwarves. Mostly it's a case of PuG's and LFR denizens being bad but it's still there, in a giant pile of adds it's hard to see the shorter races.... Just something to consider if you're alt doesn't have a regular run.... This isn't preventing me from doubling down on drunkenness and rolling a dwarven brewmaster....
Old sig was old.
Tar-Leim

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes