Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby econ21 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 am

I would agree with that recommendation of the warrior tank. I levelled with the mirror (Jedi Knight tank) and had a blast. It is such a clone of a WoW protection warrior, Blizzard could sue but I found it even more fun than my protection warrior. I have a razor naga mouse with 12 buttons and think I mapped about 48 of them (x alt, shift, control). You have a ton of abilities and while people have complained about that, it did make solo levelling a lot of fun for me. After 939 etc on the protadin, it was just great to have such a big tool box and the freedom to pull out of it what you like. (By contrast, I am currently levelling a combat rogue alt and at level 82 still only have about 2 buttons I press.) I particularly enjoyed the animations - the kind of complex, fast moving game style really suits the light saber/martial arts style of a Jedi. You see your character balletically responding to your button mashing; it is most pleasing. I guess the aesthetics are why I enjoyed it even more than my prot warrior.

Bear in mind that you typically solo with an NPC. Most of the time, I went with a jedi dps because I liked her character. In terms of power, we were fragile - strangely for a tank - but full of sound and fury. It was kind of like double dps arena: your dps output has to race your diminishing heal bar. By contrast, on the few occasions I took the healer NPC, I was virtually indestructible but I found the experience dull. Risk of death is a good thing while soloing (someone should tell Blizzard that).

I realise now that I've made a post about aesthetics when you may have been asking about power, but I imagine all classes are powerful enough for soloing so it is more of an aesthetic issue.
econ21

Postby Gracerath » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:33 pm

I would like to hear thoughts on their new LFG system. Does it work for their raids too? I got two months to kill and if the LFG system is halfway decent, I may resub for a short while.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Staatt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 am

I played around with the LFD tool a bit this weekend, and I was happy about it. I have a recent 50 and a level 25; both dps. It took 30 mins or so to get into flasphoints on my level 25, and probably 10 minutes on my 50. I am not raid-geared so I only queued for local planet content (like Black Hole on Corelia) and flashpoints. The other players were friendly and helpful. I think that pooling from just your server may limit douchebaggery. Also, if you put someone on Ignore, then you will never get paired with them.

It is a little buggy. You can select what role you want to queue with, but, if you aren't the group leader then it overrides your role and you may end up as a healer if your class could be both (I believe this is the case; it happened twice when I was playing with my wife who has a dps trooper). Also, it will teleport you to the flashpoint you queued for but won't teleport you to the planet if you did planetary content. There are obviously workarounds, but I found the first bug pretty annoying (as I'm sure the groups that we got paired with did) until I figured out how to get around it.

I'm all in all happy with it since it's so early after release.
Staatt
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:10 pm

I guess you pay money to buy cartel points and use cartel points to purchase game access?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Gracerath » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Looks similar to how City of Heroes does it.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Gab » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:41 am

Gab wrote:Ouch... In before "Free to play".

Didn't think it would happen that fast...

I'm stoked, it gives me a chance to give it a try before MoP drops.
Gab

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 am

The leveling experience is pretty cool, so it's definitely worth doing.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

Fridmarr wrote:The leveling experience is pretty cool, so it's definitely worth doing.

All the comments I've read regarding this is that they are basically giving away the best part and charging for the weakest parts.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sagara » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:19 am

Flex wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:The leveling experience is pretty cool, so it's definitely worth doing.

All the comments I've read regarding this is that they are basically giving away the best part and charging for the weakest parts.

I'd agree with this assessment.

The levelling adventures ROCK
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Flex wrote:

honestly, i am happy about that
i have WoW if i want an endgame grind
the fun in SWTOR for me is the leveling and personal story

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Gab » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 am

After messing around for a few hours as a BH all I can say is wow. Really wish I would have picked it up back when friends were still playing.

The story and dialogue options make the experience so much more immersive and a lot of the quests and their particular objectives help to this end as well. The quests feel meaningful to the story, sure there are a few kill X or gather Y but there are far more quests that have a uniqueness about them.

It seems like a wonderful marriage of WoW and KotOR and the combat system feels so much more fluid and rewarding than WoWs.

Just some initial impressions but they definitely hit the nail on the head for leveling, at least so far. Shame they couldn't get the end game down at launch, you would think that they would have known better with all of the other games that fell flat because of lack of end game content/polish.

TL;DR If you haven't already... TRY IT! It's free and MoP isn't out for another month and a half.

Edit: Oh... and Explosive Dart on standard enemies has got to be the best thing ever.
Gab

Postby bldavis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:55 am

esp their OHGAWD animation :twisted:

there is free trial currently, and next month all leveling content will be free (well planets are, flash points -dungeons- are locked into micro trans)

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 am

Gab wrote:It seems like a wonderful marriage of WoW and KotOR and the combat system feels so much more fluid and rewarding than WoWs.

Everyone I know who has played has said the exact opposite about the combat.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:29 am

Flex wrote:
Gab wrote:It seems like a wonderful marriage of WoW and KotOR and the combat system feels so much more fluid and rewarding than WoWs.

Everyone I know who has played has said the exact opposite about the combat.

honestly i have to agree with this
due to each spell/ability having a set animation, the combat make look nicer, but it seems to be slower
and for someone who raids in wow and is used to that faster combat....

still fun to have a flamethrower on your wrist, or shock someone with force lightning, but its not quite as smooth as WoW combat is from my point of view

bldavis

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games