Viability of Souldrinker in T14?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Viability of Souldrinker in T14?

Postby Hespherus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:42 am

What do you guys think of SD in MoP? I mean with the larger healthpools the healing we will get from SD will be considerable. 3.4% out of a 600k healthpool will be close to 20k HP heals.

That is if Blizzard doesnt nerf it. Now, i havent seen any of the new weapons. But, if all we get on the weapons will be strictly stats, do you think SD will be viable on progression when our survivability will be put to a great test?
Hespherus

Re: Viability of Souldrinker in T14?

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 am

The dps is going to be really low in comparrison to normal weapons.
That said its prolly going to be a pretty decent weapon for survival only phases.
Treck

Postby Hespherus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:53 am

I guess we will have to use a higher dps weapon in the first 30s or 1 minute of the fight and only then switch to SD.

With the increased DPS that everyone will be able to do, i guess it will be kind hard to keep threat by using SD from the beinning. Even though, now that i think about it, the dps that you will get from it will also be higher, since it will scale with HP.

Will be interesting to see if Blizz acknowledges this could be an issue and consequently nerf the weapon.
Hespherus

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:21 am

The dps from the procc will be greater than live cause of your higher HP pool.
But all spells and abilities will do a lot less damage due to a low dps weapon, so in the end it will still be a big loss.
With like good MoP gear the procc will do like average 20k heals, thats nice and all, but its hardly groundbreaking, its not even gamebreaking currently against weapons of the same Ilvl.
I really dont think SD is going to be much of a viable option when compared to items 100ilvls higher, the dps is surely going to be a lot lower, and then you are only looking at the procc.

Id say SD is a good option on a boss/add that isnt going to be dpsed at all, I wouldnt swap it even after half a minute or more after threat have been established, its still to much of a dps loss.
And dont forget the ammount of HP and dodge/parry/mastery you will get on a high lvl MoP weapon, and mastery is going to be doing a lot at the same time, while SD only gives HP and str.
Treck

Postby theckhd » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:58 am

Treck wrote:The dps from the procc will be greater than live cause of your higher HP pool.
But all spells and abilities will do a lot less damage due to a low dps weapon, so in the end it will still be a big loss.

Actually, that's not going to be a very significant effect. Only melee, CS, HotR, and Seal of Truth scale with weapon damage. And none of those are very hard-hitting in MoP. All of the heavy hitters (J, AS, Censure, SotR to a lesser extent) scale with AP only, so one slot won't make a huge difference in their damage output.

To make a completely unsubstantiated wild guess, we'd be taking a 5%ish damage nerf by using Souldrinker after the proc was accounted for.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Hespherus » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:50 am

Theck, would this mean, that SD might be viable on certain fights, and after building a comfortable threat lead?

Would you consider it? Or do you think it will be only noise for the healers. 20k heals when our health pools will be around 700k isnt that much.
Hespherus

Postby theckhd » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:09 am

I think the "comfortable threat lead" portion is a red herring, because sacrificing 5% of your threat generation means very little when you're out-threating DPS by 2-3x.

It might still end up being noise, but since it scales with your health that's no different than it is now. I wouldn't hesitate to consider it for a particular fight if my DPS output was less important than extra healing income.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby lythac » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:26 am

Most on-proc items have their proc chance reduced as you level away from their required item level. Given Souldrinker is one of several on-proc weapons from Madness I can't see it slipping the net.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice