Selling accounts may soon be legal - already is in the EU

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Selling accounts may soon be legal - already is in the E

Postby Flex » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:26 am

Skye1013 wrote:If I buy a pet from the Blizzard store... what are the rules on that one?


You purchased a code that grants you it. I look at it like food. Once you eat the food you can't give it to someone else. Once you consume the code you can't use it for someone else.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Selling accounts may soon be legal - already is in the E

Postby lythac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:57 am

The article isn't relevant to the discussion; the quote is and amused me.

Valve boss Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a 'catastrophe' wrote:One harbinger of this future was perhaps found, he said, in the success of one Team Fortress player in Kansas who was earning $150,000 (£97,000) a year making virtual hats.

I recall someone on Maintankadin making hats, wonder if they were for personal or business use.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Ravencrest-EU
User avatar
lythac
Moderator
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 am

Re: Selling accounts may soon be legal - already is in the E

Postby halabar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 am

Flex wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:If I buy a pet from the Blizzard store... what are the rules on that one?


You purchased a code that grants you it. I look at it like food. Once you eat the food you can't give it to someone else. Once you consume the code you can't use it for someone else.


Hmm... that would certainly apply for things that get "used", which applies to pets and mounts and stuff, but not gear. Further nuances indeed...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Selling accounts may soon be legal - already is in the E

Postby halabar » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 am

lythac wrote:The article isn't relevant to the discussion; the quote is and amused me.

Valve boss Gabe Newell calls Windows 8 a 'catastrophe' wrote:One harbinger of this future was perhaps found, he said, in the success of one Team Fortress player in Kansas who was earning $150,000 (£97,000) a year making virtual hats.

I recall someone on Maintankadin making hats, wonder if they were for personal or business use.


There were people making livings in Second Life as well.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Selling accounts may soon be legal - already is in the E

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Slight necro, but recently read this article and felt it somewhat touches on this issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/03/tech/web/ ... index.html

In simplified terms, they state that when we buy music from iTunes, we are paying for the license to listen to songs via our iPhone, iPod or other Apple device. But we are not buying the music itself.


"When you buy a book, you own the copy of that book but not the actual material," Jonathan Handel, a Los Angeles-based entertainment attorney who specializes in digital media and intellectual property, told CNN last year. "What you are buying here is right to use music on certain devices."
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Selling accounts may soon be legal - already is in the E

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 am

Skye1013 wrote:Slight necro, but recently read this article and felt it somewhat touches on this issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/03/tech/web/ ... index.html

In simplified terms, they state that when we buy music from iTunes, we are paying for the license to listen to songs via our iPhone, iPod or other Apple device. But we are not buying the music itself.


"When you buy a book, you own the copy of that book but not the actual material," Jonathan Handel, a Los Angeles-based entertainment attorney who specializes in digital media and intellectual property, told CNN last year. "What you are buying here is right to use music on certain devices."


Which is no different than when you buy a CD. You buy the rights/license, to privately listen to the contents of the CD. You don't buy the music. It isn't yours. Technically though, What is quoted is wrong. You are still purchasing the rights to privately listen to the music, which is why Itunes (the program) has an option to Burn CD's.

This is the problem that Napster created way back in the day. When you purchase a CD, you aren't purchasing the right to do whatever you want with the contents. You purchased the rights to privately enjoy its contents. It's the reasons that bars that have jukeboxes pay money to BMI or ASCAP or another similar agency. They have to pay for the right to publicly use the music in a venture that makes them money. If you are found to have a jukebox or live "Cover" bands, and you don't pay one of those agencies, you can find yourself in a bit of hot water.

This is also why the cost of playing songs on a jukebox has increased.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 5068
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest