Remove Advertisements

Been away for a year and 1/2

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Been away for a year and 1/2

Postby Jarvick » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 pm

I have been away from WoW for a year and 1/2, and find myself wondering should I come back, though it appears with patches somethings have changed, I wonder to myself should I plung back in. ( I played WoW from 2005-2011) I just got tired of what felt like a constent problem, find a raiding guild, work with it to watch it split up, to restart the process all over again. Ive heard they are making Pug 10 mans do-able, but wonder if this is true is this just another set of problems unto itself. In short I wonder to myself should I play again, I ask you all as fellow Tankadins, do you still love the game, should someone who walked away stone cold back in Fed 2011 go back. I think I would fall back in but is raiding easier, harder, guilds still drama, is this GDKP raiding worth it.

PS~ My Girlfriend is a gamer (Xbox) and loves gaming but is so affraid of me returning to Wow. Thanks.
Jarvick

Re: Been away for a year and 1/2

Postby Teranoid » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Well as far as the guild implosion thing it still happens and to be honest the longer the game goes on the worse it seems to get because you not only have people bored with the content but the game itself being 7 years old.

I still enjoy the game although some days I just say "I don't feel like playing" and don't log in. Part of it is due to the fact that it's the end of an already underwhelming expansion and just general boredom. I'm 8/8H so really aside from that I just pvp to pass the time.

Raid difficulty is debatable. In my opinion the DS nerfs have made it a complete joke to the point that the Raid Finder iteration is actually harder than the normal difficulty. GDKP is worth it if there are consistent groups and you have the gold to back it up. I've done DS GDKPs in the past and have walked out with close to 20k for what ended up being 2 hours of my time but that involves having people who are willing to spend the gold. If you're running with 22 Saviors with full BiS you're probably not going to walk out with much unless you're carrying undergeared people with big wallets.

I mean you've been gone for pretty much the entire expansion so I'd say it'd probably be worth it even at this point. If you quit six months ago I'd say just wait till Mists at the end of September.
Teranoid

Postby lythac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 am

As MoP release is coming in 2 months, the Prepatch (5.0.1?) should be with us in around a month, which will have more talent system and game changes. I honestly do not see it worth your time playing before that patch hits as what you learn will most likely change. Sure, come back now, find a guild and be social so when that patch comes you have a nice environment to play in

Now we have the Raid Finder (LFR, it automatches 25 players like how the Dungeon Finder does) you can see the raids (only Dragon Soul and MoP raids) at a toned down/facerollable level, in weeks 3-12 after it is released. First couple of weeks players will make mistakes, people won't massively outgear it and there is a chance of failure on the last bosses if you are having to carry 8+ players. After ~12 weeks a lot of the better raiders won't be running it, undergeared alts and terrible players occupy LFR and players ignore what they are meant to do so it becomes a 5 man pug amplified to horrific levels.

Were you in a 25 man guild when struggling for attendance?

In your position I would come back to the game as a DPS (so you won't feel the need to sign for 100% of raids) in a 25 man guild where you can sign 2/3 nights a week.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Jarvick » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Well by the time I left, I was gearing up as the 2nd tank for our 25 man and Prime tank in one of the 10 mans, our biggest problem people were not taking time to gear up for the content and were not doing any home work on the fights, so it was a struggle. The guild folded and I walked away from the game shortly their after as I didnt want to put the work in of looking for a mature guild, which seems like at times there are none. either young kids cutting the fool or adults bring real life problems into the game (and I dont mean like talking about rl stuff, I mean like bring things in the guild that should stay out, he said this, she wont raid with you, he was trying to pick me up, can we just play the game?)

I may come back, I would have to get another computer, cause I gave my Xps laptop away when I called it, I wanted to make sure I couldnt just come back two months later, but I can say there are things about this game I miss, even after playing it for 5 1/2 years PRE-BC (when BWL was the top raid content) I never got board with the game, the people in the game get to me and was I think my over-all breaking point. I do agree the content has gotten alot eaiser over the years. I remember MC, if 40 people didnt bring their A-Game, wipe city.
Jarvick

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 am

Raiding challenge is under a different paradigm these days. If you go looking for it, it's there more than ever, but only for a limited time. Of course if you are looking to PuG 10-mans the challenge will never be there, that's simply not possible. If you quit during T11 that was some of the toughest progression content the game has ever seen, so I'm not sure that's what you're really hoping has changed.

Guild politics are no different; life is a series of guilds, and players' motives are ever-changing. With the rising average age of the raiding playerbase it is getting easier to find more like-minded folks, but just as many will burn out each tier. These things in life are certain: Death, taxes, and guild drama.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm

With the rising age of the player base, do you think the addition of the pokimon and farmville and 'cute' panda's with Pandera is an attempt by Blizzard to capture a new demographic?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:50 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:With the rising age of the player base, do you think the addition of the pokimon and farmville and 'cute' panda's with Pandera is an attempt by Blizzard to capture a new demographic?

That would be consistent with their overall strategy implementation. They make overtures to an audience they don't have while alienating the audience they do have.

Take BC/Wrath/Cata for instance. In BC crowd control was necessary and people played carefully. In Wrath, they basically eliminated the need for CC and made most of the content faceroll-easy. That catered to the casuals at the expense of the hardcore, many of whom quit playing.

Then Wrath came around and Bliz wanted to attract the hardcore back, so they made things tougher. Back came CC, but the casuals didn't like it and stopped playing. So Bliz eased up and made things more faceroll, which didn't bring the casuals back, but did chase away some of the remaining hardcore types.

So yeah, I can see how things like pokemon and farmville that make me seriously wonder if I want to continue would be Bliz' way of attracting a new generation of fans.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Jarvick » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:43 pm

PsiVen wrote:Raiding challenge is under a different paradigm these days. If you go looking for it, it's there more than ever, but only for a limited time. Of course if you are looking to PuG 10-mans the challenge will never be there, that's simply not possible. If you quit during T11 that was some of the toughest progression content the game has ever seen, so I'm not sure that's what you're really hoping has changed.

Guild politics are no different; life is a series of guilds, and players' motives are ever-changing. With the rising average age of the raiding playerbase it is getting easier to find more like-minded folks, but just as many will burn out each tier. These things in life are certain: Death, taxes, and guild drama.

I love exploring content, I raided Pre BC 5 nights a week, we raided BWL, AQ-20 right up to BC (Three days beofre BC openned we were in BWL farming, even though we knew the gear and stuff was going to be useless) As for me now, I am a little older still love pushing the content, I was asking about the pug stuff because, I remember Pugging in BC and Wrath, Cat was near impossible to raid in on the few servers I was in, and just as I got my Tankadin ready to tank, had to flipp script and use my Shammy to heal, because we lost healers due to guild drama, so I guess what I was asking pugging is there for raids but still not the way to go, if I want to explore content, I need to suck it up and shop guilds. Thanks everyone for the insight, It looks like I will be returning to the game, I figure I will give it another shot, 5 1/2 years was alot of time invested in the game, I can give it another shot see if I can still get what I got out of it all those years ago. Hope to see some of you in game.
Jarvick

Return to General