LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Anyhow, people can argue the religious stuff all they want for their own personal opinions, but I don't think it has much standing legally.
It doesn't have legal standing but it has an impact on the speed of which things are addressed. It is political suicide to push anything through if the majority of your constituents are against it, even if it's the right thing to do.
Well newsflash, our political leaders are wussies. They almost never do what's right for anyone but themselves. But this isn't just a political issue, at least if you can get it in front of the Supreme court, their ruling would trump all including DOMA and not have any affect on their careers since they don't really answer to anyone in that regard.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Passionario » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 am

Melathys wrote:Image

Depending on the particular implementation, it might, in fact, open the way for some pretty crazy exploits.

Yes, a dog has no legal standing or ability to sign a marriage contract - but a corporation certainly does. So, for that matter, does a nation.

Bribe the president to sign a marriage treaty on behalf of the USA, get divorced, claim half of all US assets, profit. :twisted:
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Sagara » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:13 am

Then again, Belgium's law make it pretty clear there are physical persons (people) and moral persons (companies).

That's QUITE a bit of a stretch there.

A more interesting concept would be: you might marry you best friend, or just about anyone of consenting age, without feelings or whatever. It's not *wrong* per se (marriage is, after all the religious and social baggage, just a business deal, not profoundly different from a shared or sub-let flat), just eyebrow-raising.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 am

I feel like im late to the party, but LGBT rights? that doesnt sound right.
Shouldnt it be "human rights".
Treck

Postby Levantine » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:56 am

You'll have to ask the churchies that one.
Levantine

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am

I just picked a name. You can call it whatever you want. Whole point was to move it out of Frustrations and nobody else seemed to be working towards that. /shrug
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 am

I wasnt complaining on the topic, its good, its beeing discussed imo.
I was mainly making a statement that its pretty obvious that the LGBT community have all the same rights as any human beeing has. Just like you dont have special rights for people who are attracted to redheads (just for the record thats very different)
Treck

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 am

Seemed fitting for one stream of this discussion.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:41 am

Treck wrote:I was mainly making a statement that its pretty obvious that the LGBT community have all the same rights as any human beeing has.

But they don't have the same rights in certain countries.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:49 am

I think my wording is bad mainly since English isnt my first language.
But a human is a human, thus they have human rights, thats what I mean is pretty obvious, LGBT or not theres no differance.
Yes the problem is obviously that they dont have the same rights in many countries.
Treck

Postby Levantine » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 am

Was just about to say that I thought you were trying to say something along those lines. English must truly be a horrible language to learn as a secondary. :/
Levantine

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:16 am

Not that swedish is the best language to express yourself in, but trying to express yourself in a second language that is english, makes it easy to think you are more clear than you actually are.
Treck

Postby Amirya » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:36 am

Sagara wrote:A more interesting concept would be: you might marry you best friend, or just about anyone of consenting age, without feelings or whatever.

Near as I can tell, there's currently nothing written in any law that says when you obtain an opposite gender spouse, you must also love them as a spouse.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 am

Amirya wrote:
Sagara wrote:A more interesting concept would be: you might marry you best friend, or just about anyone of consenting age, without feelings or whatever.

Near as I can tell, there's currently nothing written in any law that says when you obtain an opposite gender spouse, you must also love them as a spouse.

accordingly to law marriage has nothing to do with love
all it does is provide certain rights and privileges to the two people who signed the marriage contract

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:46 am

Treck wrote:I think my wording is bad mainly since English isnt my first language.
But a human is a human, thus they have human rights, thats what I mean is pretty obvious, LGBT or not theres no differance.
Yes the problem is obviously that they dont have the same rights in many countries.

Oh okay I got you now. :)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum