MoP Professions

Mists of Pandaria Beta discussion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

MoP Professions

Postby Schroom » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 am

Any idea already what Professions in MoP are best for Prot. Are there any changes here?

at the Moment I got Mining and blacksmithing. As I want to maximize my stats I'm thinking about this now already. Also because we want every profession on maxlevel in our guild as fast as possible, to provide our raid with everything it needs from the start.

I guess both are still pretty amazing for prot, aren't they?

so if I would have to switch to other professions, I would start now as we are at 8/8 HM and only initiating new recruits atm.
Schroom

Re: MoP Professions

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm

This should probably be in the MoP beta forum.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Moving.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Kitmajere » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

At the moment, professions are rather unbalanced.
From the way gems are handled, you can see that secondary stats are now equal to 1.5x primary. It is set up at the moment that you should expect professions with static bonuses to give 320 of a primary (int/str/agi), or 480 of a secondary (such as stamina).

However, these are the possible stamina bonuses from each profession from wowhead's MoP section:
Enchanting - 320 stamina
Inscription - 450 stamina
Mining - 480 stamina
JC - 480 stamina
BS - 480 stamina
LW - 750 stamina (or 750 - 40 (if you for some reason decide to use the highest non-LW stam enchant instead of the 170 dodge MoP one) = 710)

Now, this doesn't take into account the fact that BS/JC are particularly flexible in that you can get the bonus in whatever form you'd like -- such as mastery gems.

I do expect them to make enchanting equal to the 480 other professions give, but judging by last xpac, they may not implement a stamina bracer enchant, making Leatherworking a truly ridiculous stamina up over the others.

Edit: Currently on beta the gems are inconsistent. For the blue quality gems, stamina is 1.5x the points of a primary stat (int/agi/str), while secondary stats such as mastery are 2x. However, for the JC gems, those secondary stats are only 1.5x, making JC give less of a bonus, while BS gives extra. There is more discussion below of this.
Last edited by Kitmajere on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kitmajere

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm

If I had to guess, there could very well be a 270 stam enchant (750-270=480) for the bracers, but that's just a guess based on the fact that it's seriously imbalanced to not have that option.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Kitmajere » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Skye1013 wrote:If I had to guess, there could very well be a 270 stam enchant (750-270=480) for the bracers, but that's just a guess based on the fact that it's seriously imbalanced to not have that option.

There could be, and there very much *should* be, but it's certainly not yet implemented. And, they didn't feel the need to implement it for Cata either >,<. Here's to hoping they see their error. I've posted on the beta items and professions forum, but who knows if they read it and/or if whoever does read it understands what I'm talking about.
Kitmajere

Postby Newsom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 am

Nope, there is only dodge on bracers, which means Leatherworking has a slight edge if you favor stamina stacking (170 stamina vs 160 dodge if I'm not mistaken).

Alchemy is also a nice choice since it boosts elixirs in addition to flasks via Mixology, not to mention 4 hour guild flasks.

Other than that, assuming you want stamina, any production profession or mining will do just fine.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby daishan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 am

Haven't Blizz removed the guild 2 hour flask perk in MoP? Along with mass summon -.-
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Newsom wrote:Nope, there is only dodge on bracers, which means Leatherworking has a slight edge if you favor stamina stacking (170 stamina vs 160 dodge if I'm not mistaken).

That's what it is right now. I can only imagine they'll either balance them better, or not all of the enchants have been implemented.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Newsom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 am

I'd be surprised if this isn't how it goes live. They never "fixed" it in Cataclysm. It's not a huge deal in my opinion, we are talking about 170 stamina here.

daishan wrote:Haven't Blizz removed the guild 2 hour flask perk in MoP? Along with mass summon -.-

It seems you are correct. Mixology still doubles the duration of flasks though (2 hours instead of 1).
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby superworm » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 am

BS and JC are potentially OP in MoP in my opinion. As ratings in gems are double the amount of that on gear (per ilv budget sense), BS and JC can just gem for ratings, e.g. mastery, instead of stamina. Take paladin for an example, I can just gem for an extra 640 mastery instead of 480 stamina, and that's a lot.
LW gets extra stamina, but it has been like this throughout Cata, and I doubt Blizzard will change.
superworm

Postby halabar » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:20 am

Kitmajere wrote:At the moment, professions are rather unbalanced.
From the way gems are handled, you can see that secondary stats are now equal to 1.5x primary. It is set up at the moment that you should expect professions with static bonuses to give 320 of a primary (int/str/agi) or 480 of a secondary (such a stamina).

It does seem that they want to shift around gemming to be something besides "just gem for red".
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Kitmajere » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:03 pm

superworm wrote:BS and JC are potentially OP in MoP in my opinion. As ratings in gems are double the amount of that on gear (per ilv budget sense), BS and JC can just gem for ratings, e.g. mastery, instead of stamina. Take paladin for an example, I can just gem for an extra 640 mastery instead of 480 stamina, and that's a lot.
LW gets extra stamina, but it has been like this throughout Cata, and I doubt Blizzard will change.

The opposite is actually true for mastery and JC. I just re-examined wowhead, and this is how it stands now:

JC (http://mop.wowhead.com/skill=755#recipes:0-16+1):
Stamina -- 480*2-240*2=480 stamina bonus for JC
Mastery -- 480*2-320*2=320 mastery bonus for JC
^ The above is just subtracting the regular blue gem's values from that of a serpent's eye (*2 since you replace 2).

It seems that the "bug" (if this is one), is the 2xgem values for secondary stats I'm seeing. If the gems were only 1.5x (which is how stamina is, and I had previously assumed that was true across the board) it works out. Secondary stat gems would only have 240 stats making the bonuses both 480.
BS: Stamina -- 2*240=480 stamina bonus, Mastery -- 2*240=480 mastery bonus
JC: Stamina -- 480*2-240*2=480 stamina bonus, Mastery -- 480*2-240*2=480 mastery bonus

Or, if they do want stam at 1.5x the value of agi/str/int, and the real secondary stats at 2x, the JC serpent's eyes for mastery would need to be 640 mastery each instead of 480.

So, imo, go BS/LWing >,<.
Kitmajere

Postby Yelena » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 am

Probably be best off waiting until professions are more finalized before jumping the gun, it's quite obvious they aren't finished yet.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Kitmajere » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:25 am

Yelena wrote:Probably be best off waiting until professions are more finalized before jumping the gun, it's quite obvious they aren't finished yet.

My only concern is LWing atm, since there's precedent for neglecting balancing it in the past. I'm pretty sure the other professions will be equalized.
Kitmajere

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Beta