Remove Advertisements

Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby Flex » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Skye1013 wrote:The meta game being... when you start farming for gear? I don't know... it just seems to me like it would equate to farming final tier heroic modes in WoW... once you've done so, their isn't much point in continuing (since the gear won't help you in the next xpac, unless another Sunwell to Naxx happens...)

If it's to get "world firsts" well, that's long gone, unless you manage it on hardcore (I believe that's still open?)

To me the meta game in finding styles and builds for your way of playing. My progression build in D3 is very strict survival, but my farming build varies with my mood, what I want to see happen when I press my buttons and how invested I want to be while playing it. Then all of that filters into my progression set where the farming gets the means to make progressing easier which filters in to moving the ladder up a step. I was shocked when I went in to Act 2, after it kicking my ass, and things died quickly while I was still living.

Looking at Diablo 3 from a "world first" perspective has always seemed pretty pointless since you aren't competing against anyone really and the bosses aren't anywhere near as fun as finally getting down that invulnerable minion, molten, plague, arcane enchanted group that drove you nuts the week before.

Fridmarr wrote:I think if D3 was a brand new game instead of being built on a very successful legacy, it would probably be deemed mediocre at best.

I'd rate the game a mid 70s at best, but my enjoyment while playing it, after the inferno balance patch, is in the 90s. Pretty much how I feel about Left 4 Dead. Simple game, lots of enjoyment and the opposite of Civ 5, a game I enjoy more in theory than when actually playing it.

Gab wrote:I still think my biggest gripe is the skill and leveling systems.

I'm the exact opposite in this aspect. If it was a system like D2 where if I wanted to try a different Barbarian style I'd have to make another Barbarian I'd be pissed. But like a guildmate said "this coming from the guy with three paladins."
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Gab » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Flex wrote:I'm the exact opposite in this aspect. If it was a system like D2 where if I wanted to try a different Barbarian style I'd have to make another Barbarian I'd be pissed. But like a guildmate said "this coming from the guy with three paladins."

Fair enough. But in 1.13 respecs were added to a quest and as a horadric cube recipe with pita boss drops iirc. So spec choices even after the respec changes were much more meaningful.

Worldie wrote:I'm still disappointed to see there's people who are willing to pay money for a single player game :S

Yeah me too... all the way to the bank!
Gab

Postby Flex » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Gab wrote:
Flex wrote:I'm the exact opposite in this aspect. If it was a system like D2 where if I wanted to try a different Barbarian style I'd have to make another Barbarian I'd be pissed. But like a guildmate said "this coming from the guy with three paladins."

Fair enough. But in 1.13 respecs were added to a quest and as a horadric cube recipe with pita boss drops iirc.

I think NV farming "solves" the skill issue, elegance is up for debate. Blizzard could probably address a number of complaints by having a level+ once you reach 60 and have an XP+ bar that fills and grants you a few, or even just 1, stat point to allocate. PvP match making would just restrict players within a few levels of the level+ system. "Press the button to become more powerful!" does resonate with a significant portion of the population.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:26 am

Appears that gold selling starts today...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Gab » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 pm

halabar wrote:Appears that gold selling starts today...

Can't check since I'm at work, do you happen to know the approximate going rate?
Gab

Postby halabar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Gab wrote:
halabar wrote:Appears that gold selling starts today...

Can't check since I'm at work, do you happen to know the approximate going rate?

dunno, just saw the post on MMO-Champ.

halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:20 pm

First glance, the gold is going for $0.33 per 100,000 gold. I posted all I had, will see if any sells...

halabar

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Welp, I finally finished the game on Normal. Think I'm going to just uninstall and move on.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby rodos » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:42 pm

halabar wrote:First glance, the gold is going for $0.33 per 100,000 gold. I posted all I had, will see if any sells...

From what I hear it's bottomed out at the artificial floor price of $2.50/million and sales are pretty slow. The 3rd party sellers have ramped up their prices from the $1.10/million they were selling at to something closer to the "after tax" price of around $1.80/million.

I wonder if Blizzard will patch in a change to gold selling (e.g. make the minimum sellable unit 200k or 500k) to allow gold to find its natural price.
rodos

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 am

I had a feeling in the first few weeks I should sell off all my gold when it was going for $20+ per million..

O well I guess..
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 am

Hai. I'm leveling a Barbarian, and I'm having a very hard time staying alive. I thought having decent lifesteal would help but I keep getting killed by mobs hitting me for half of my HP in 1 hit. Level 44 and in act 3 Nightmare. <.<

Anyone can point me out the correct way to play a barbarian? Stats to aim for, passives to use? I use the Jump in middle -> spam whirlwind -> use earthquake on though enemyes approach.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Are you using Revenge? If not why aren't you using Revenge. It hits like a brick house and heals you a good amount.

I have found on my Barbarian that Fury spending is completely optional (needs to be addressed IMO simplest option would to have a passive that heals when spending Fury) so I tend to not use a standard secondary ability.

Primary: Cleave+Rupture
Secondary: Whirlwind+Blood Funnel
1: Leap+Call of Arreat
2: Overpower+Killing Spree
3: Overpower+Best Served Cold
4: Earthquake+The Mountains Call or Wrath of the Berseker+Insanity both are great for burst and depends on what you're fighting for the best one.

Passives
Since we're using the crit runes for Revenge and Overpower focusing on that for passives
Ruthless to crit more for more!
Superstition just a general great survival ability.
Weapon Master if using Mace/Axes or Nerves of Steel for survival or Berserker Rage for just bonus damage.

If survival is still an issue drop Whirlwind and use War Cry+Hardened Wrath
Flex

Postby Worldie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm

You are playing almost the same as me, but i use the 40% armor shout instead of revenge... am i a bad person?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Revenge is awesome, use it.

If it is just because you're being hit hard look around for vitality gear. Had to do it on my normal difficulty Wizard to kill Diablo.
Flex

Postby Treck » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Worldie wrote:You are playing almost the same as me, but i use the 40% armor shout instead of revenge... am i a bad person?

Treck

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games