I'm tanking Karazhan for the first time. Help appreciated.

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

I'm tanking Karazhan for the first time. Help appreciated.

Postby Clairvaux » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:04 pm

Hello all, new member here. On Friday I will be tanking the first part of Karazhan for my guild. They are already zooming through it, but I have yet to step foot in the place as a tank. I believe they intend on having me tank up to and including Curator and I will be taking an offtank role after that.

Would the pros here mind taking a look at my armory and pointing out any glaring problems or suggestions? Thus far I have successfully tanked Heroic Shattered Halls, Heroic Underbog, Heroic Ramparts, and Heroic Mana Tombs.

I am about 6% away from being uncrushable, but I imagine that will come with some Kara gear.

Basically, am I ready?

Thanks,

Clairvaux

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Clairvaux
Clairvaux

Postby guillex » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:00 pm

You'll be fine, but I'd change the wrists and the cloak right out for either the badge cloak/devilshark, and get the bracers of the green fortress crafted.

If you're going to be forced into an OT role after Curator, then you don't have much to worry about. If not though, you'll want to get a few upgrades to be 102.4%.

Other than that, good hp/armor to start. Your healers might find you a bit of a pain to keep up, especially if they're used to zipping through KZ, but like you stated, a few KZ upgrades will change that.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Palladia » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 am

Since it's a bit hard for a Paladin to OT something at this point of progress (except if you can equip some shockadin gear maybe), maybe it's better to have a Warlock 2nd on the aggro, they can easily increase their threat with SP if they're too low and don't hold other DPS back, and also can take some damage (could always use some more PvP gear if it's that of a trouble).

With your stats you will be able to kill Attumen and Moroes for sure.
Palladia

Postby Boudi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:00 am

go read the gear guides on these forums to get you uncrushable. i think 6% chance to recieve a crush is gonna hurt your healers.

Off tanking netherspite? a.k.a. red beam dancer #2 = lolcrushdeath
Off tanking prince? go grab healing gear and help healing the raid
Off tanking Nightbane? Repeat Prince.
Off tanking illhoof = fun challenge but makes you go OOM after the big imp dies and you have to keep max ranking the little imps to keep em on on you instead of the SoCorruptioning warlocks.
Aran = healing gear or lolsupport DPS through judging seals.
Tanked: KZ(nightbane left), Nalorakk
Boudi

Postby Wakeman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:24 am

Good starter gear for starting Kara. Some suggestions:

- Buy bracers of green fortress if you have the gold.

- Enchant +sta to bracers and boots. Put a +10 sta to gloves. (Already 340 hp here.)

- Get the new 2.3 BoJ tanking cloak, or devilshark cloak if you don't mind farming. Or Cloak of Eternity as a temporary choice. Then +12 dodge to it.

- Ring of the silver hand is not a good tanking ring imo. Replace it with Andorum's Tear, which is a very good avoidance ring that you can use for a long time.

- Strength of the untamed is also a better neck than yours imo.

- Where is your Fleshbeast boots??? Don't tell me you vendored it!

- If you still need more avoidance to reach uncrushable after doing all of the above changes, I would advice you to put a +8 dodge gem to the red slot on your shoulders and legs.

- Talent is largely ok, though I would suggest you to have 2/2 spell warding as we have little defense against casters.

Hope this help.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby guillex » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:41 am

Boudi wrote:go read the gear guides on these forums to get you uncrushable. i think 6% chance to recieve a crush is gonna hurt your healers.

Off tanking netherspite? a.k.a. red beam dancer #2 = lolcrushdeath
Off tanking prince? go grab healing gear and help healing the raid
Off tanking Nightbane? Repeat Prince.
Off tanking illhoof = fun challenge but makes you go OOM after the big imp dies and you have to keep max ranking the little imps to keep em on on you instead of the SoCorruptioning warlocks.
Aran = healing gear or lolsupport DPS through judging seals.

Shouldn't be an OT on Prince or Nightbane... If you can do it, Illhoof, neither.

Only "real" OT position is Netherspite, and that's more of a switch-MT role, 'cause whoever's in the beam is the tank, period dot.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Boudi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:27 am

check the question marks ;)

i'm trying to say i'm questioning the use of an off-tank there :D

you just repeated what i said only with less words 8) :lol:
Tanked: KZ(nightbane left), Nalorakk
Boudi

Postby Ciandin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:55 am

Is someone interested in in writing a sticky titled something along the lines of "Am I ready for Karazan" and post it in the Kara thread? If not, I can use some of my downtime at work next week to compile it.

Even though the "gear" section has a "no rate my gear" rule, lately we have been getting 2 or 3 "am i ready for kara" posts a week in this forum.
Ciandin

Postby Dazhbog » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Crushings didn't hurt at all when I tanked Netherspite yesterday, with me being about 3% away from uncrush. 7K melee hits don't sting as much when you have 35k HP =P
Dazhbog

Return to Karazhan