Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Flex wrote:To be honest if you're not doing inferno you're not playing the game, you're in exploration mode.

That's my big beef with the game. I've played 20 hours just to get through acts 1-3 normal, and I'd have to go through the entire game twice more to reach Inferno. I keep hearing about how it isn't really "the game" until you get up there - but that's like saying to someone here's the game, but first we'll tell you the whole plot while you spend 3 days clicking the mouse before you can start playing it...
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Gab » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:17 pm

halabar wrote:The fact that I find the AH PVP more interesting than the game says something...

And what is that? The you personally didn't find the game fun?

Although I do agree to some extent that the game is getting old pretty quickly; my game time has already been cut down to a fraction of what it was at launch and logging on and playing is more out of boredom than desire. Which was not the case with Diablo 2... I was definitely drinking the kool-aid prior to launch and for the first few weeks but it's rapidly wearing off.

I really don't think it's the AH or the repetitive grindy game play for me. I enjoy both of those aspects actually. For me I think it's the class design and the leveling/skilling system. I guess I would have preferred Diablo 2 2.0 over Diablo 3 when it comes to character advancement.
Gab

Postby halabar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Gab wrote:
halabar wrote:The fact that I find the AH PVP more interesting than the game says something...

Or that I'm a goblin at heart... :D

Here's a question for all those that got D3 from the AP... Would you rather have Blizz give you D3 like they did, or add another Ruby Sanctum to WoW to tide us over until the expac?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:29 pm

halabar wrote:
Gab wrote:

Here's a question for all those that got D3 from the AP... Would you rather have Blizz give you D3 like they did, or add another Ruby Sanctum to WoW to tide us over until the expac?

humoring a silly premise for a question:

I've gotten more enjoyment from Diablo 3 than any single raid in WoW.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 pm

halabar wrote:
Gab wrote:

How in the hell did Ruby Sanctum "tide" anyone over? You likely killed it the first day it came out, farmed it a couple times and/or did heroic if you were capable (or if you could even be bothered), then went back to regular raid hours in Icecrown.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Flex wrote:To be honest if you're not doing inferno you're not playing the game, you're in exploration mode.

You aren't competing with anyone or held to schedules so it is a pretty solid game for just playing for an hour and getting some fun. I still get a kick out of the physics engine and barbarian attacks.

Finishing Hell was a bit of a drag, just from 'the same content' over and over point, not difficulty, but I played Inferno for quite a while, up to Act III, and that was what I think finished me off. Playing with friends was all that kept me going that long and it was around that time most people off my friends list started burning out and stopped playing, I think I have 2 people out of an original 50 odd now who still play, which certainly added to the lack of interest as once you're in Inferno you benefit hugely from a solid group you can play with regularly rather than random pugs.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:29 pm

What makes inferno that much better than the rest of it? It's still the same story, the same zones, same mobs (with a few new abilities.) Is there some magic that happens that makes people so much more interested in the game once they hit inferno?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:06 pm

Skye1013 wrote:

What makes inferno that much better than the rest of it? It's still the same story, the same zones, same mobs (with a few new abilities.) Is there some magic that happens that makes people so much more interested in the game once they hit inferno?

It is when the meta game starts. It is similar to my feeling towards people complaining about the relative difficulty of WoW end game PvE content who don't actually partake in it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:11 pm

The meta game being... when you start farming for gear? I don't know... it just seems to me like it would equate to farming final tier heroic modes in WoW... once you've done so, their isn't much point in continuing (since the gear won't help you in the next xpac, unless another Sunwell to Naxx happens...)

If it's to get "world firsts" well, that's long gone, unless you manage it on hardcore (I believe that's still open?)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm

I think if D3 was a brand new game instead of being built on a very successful legacy, it would probably be deemed mediocre at best. The comments about flies dropping armor are fairly stupid, that's just standard genre fare among umpteen million things that aren't logical in fantasy worlds. That said D3 certainly feels to me like a pretty lazy cash grab. I don't feel like it's a bad game (certainly not the worst game ever), but it's not very compelling to me either.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby rodos » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:01 pm

halabar wrote:
Gab wrote:

I'm happy that we got D3. It's fun, and gives me something to do on non-raid nights until Mists drops.

My intent is to play it until I find an item worth $100 on the RMAH and use it to transfer my alts to my main's server. I can't justify spending real money on that, but "funny money" (battle.net balance) that I got while having some fun on the side is fair game.
rodos

Postby aureon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:14 am

D3 needs some expansion.
More than some.
aureon

Postby Gab » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 am

rodos wrote:I'm happy that we got D3. It's fun, and gives me something to do on non-raid nights until Mists drops.

My intent is to play it until I find an item worth $100 on the RMAH and use it to transfer my alts to my main's server. I can't justify spending real money on that, but "funny money" (battle.net balance) that I got while having some fun on the side is fair game.

I agree, I had fun playing and still do from time to time. All in all I'd say it's a good game but over the years I have come to hold Blizzard to a higher standard and I think Diablo 3 missed the mark for me. It was great initially but not holding my interest like Diablo 2 did. It may be that my preferences have changed since then but it's more likely a combination of things. I still think my biggest gripe is the skill and leveling systems.

I'm doing the same thing with the RMAH, I have already faction transferred two of my alts aiming to transfer two more. Saving some RL money is a decent byproduct of playing a video game.
Gab

Postby halabar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:18 am

Gab wrote:
rodos wrote:I'm happy that we got D3. It's fun, and gives me something to do on non-raid nights until Mists drops.

I'm doing the same thing with the RMAH, I have already faction transferred two of my alts aiming to transfer two more. Saving some RL money is a decent byproduct of playing a video game.

Yep, I'm only playing now in order to potentially pay for a Panda CE.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Worldie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm still disappointed to see there's people who are willing to pay money for a single player game :S
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games