Prot Paladin Proffesions

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Prot Paladin Proffesions

Postby maw1965 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:51 pm

What would be the all out best prot paladin proffesions and what would be the best race to roll for pve prot paladin
maw1965

Re: Prot Paladin Proffesions

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting, and Human.

BS = Extra sockets
JC = Stronger gems

Human racial bonus gives you:
+ Expertise with swords and maces
An extra button to free you from fears or motion-imparing effects
Fast reputation gain so to shorten rep grinds and make rep equipment available faster

As an extra added bonus, the primitive human animations make you look like you have a stick permanently lodged in your posterior.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby maw1965 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:44 pm

thx much for reply
maw1965

Postby econ21 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:18 pm

I agree with the reply but a couple of other points:

(1) Bear in mind that some stuff will change in Mists; I think especially racial perks? Personally, I'd go with the race whose concept or look you like for the character you envisage. Maybe I am just strange, but what makes or kills alts for me is if I can get into the character - transmogging heirloom gear can help a lot here, although the plate stuff is fine for a pally.

(2) Having levelled 4 alts in quick succession, I am a big fan of having at least one gathering profession (herbalism or mining) while levelling - I really appreciate the XP from each gather, it helps a lot through the grindy parts. Plus levelling either JC or BS without mining will be hard/costly. I'd recommend JC and mining while levelling, then switch to BS at 85. I recall JC being quite painless to level, whereas BS was a real drag - although things may have changed.

I used to like crafting as I levelled, so I could use gear I made, but you level so fast, levelling gear is a little pointless. And typically, you level much faster than you can craft.
econ21

Re: Prot Paladin Professions

Postby masterpoobaa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 am

I no longer play as of forelands, but I found JC/Enchanting to be a good combo.
Before that (and raiding) my main was mining/herbing for money. The herbing I dropped first but kept mining to feed JC or level mining on another toon at the same time - it feeds both JC and enchanting.
Raw ore > prospect to gems > craft greens/blues > DE for matts.

Once you are maxed out JC/enchanting saves you heaps with gearing up.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 am

Please check out our Basic Training and Gear Advice forums; there is a wealth of information there.

P.S. -- Dwarf race is best race.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Schroom » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:38 am

exactly Dwarf > Human.

you don't need that extra Exp as a prot. but the dwarf gives you an extra 3 minute Cooldown, which also removes bleeding effects.
also there is no raiding boss in cataclysm I can't think of which does movement impairing effects on the tank. (an even if a cancelaura Bubble macro is amazing in those situations as well)

Jewelcrafting is also not so good anymore since there are epic gems. you lose lots of stats here.
I personally use blacksmithing and mining for extra stamina. Leather-working would be a nice alternative too.

if you're horde I would chose Tauren.
Schroom

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:49 am

Schroom wrote:if you're horde I would chose Tauren.

Blasphemier! Female blood elf or gtfo!

Tbqh, at this stage of the game, there's really no need to over concern yourself with professions when only thinking about Cata. Sure, Blacksmithing has the huge bonus right now due to the epic gems, but that's largely due to the other professions not being updated. It's time to look towards Pandaclysm professions and base decisions on that, imo.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents