Remove Advertisements

[DK] The DK Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:46 am

Ok, so I'm dusting off my DK, and while I'm primarily DW Frost, I'm still updating my Blood gearset. For tanking, which is a better 2h, Jeklik's Smasher or Axe of the Tauren Chieftains? I know ilvl/dps/threat would make the axe awesome, but I'm wondering for survivability, if the large amount of mastery on the smasher makes it the better choice.

Also, Stoneskin Gargoyle or Swordshattering? I'm assuming SG since it scales with gear, whereas 4% parry will always be 4% parry.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 am

Skye1013 wrote:Ok, so I'm dusting off my DK, and while I'm primarily DW Frost, I'm still updating my Blood gearset. For tanking, which is a better 2h, Jeklik's Smasher or Axe of the Tauren Chieftains? I know ilvl/dps/threat would make the axe awesome, but I'm wondering for survivability, if the large amount of mastery on the smasher makes it the better choice.

Also, Stoneskin Gargoyle or Swordshattering? I'm assuming SG since it scales with gear, whereas 4% parry will always be 4% parry.

#1.) Swordshattering. Unless you are REALLY undergeared for the content. Which means either: Woefully badly geared in 5 mans, or pushing serious hardcore progression.

#2.) The debate on the two weapons is pretty interesting. Jeklik's Smasher will give you some avoidance as well as the mastery. The Axe of the moo cows gives you hit, which is pretty nice for a DK tank right now, and expertise, which is pure threat, and some mastery.

I could make a case for either one really. The Smasher is the more "survival" based weapon, as you end up with approx 1 more mastery (6.25% on the bloodshield), and approx .5% avoidance, while the moo cow axe will give you hit, meaning you are less likely to miss outbreak and need to use normal disease application, and more dps via higher ilvl, higher hit / expertise, while also not killing you in survivability.

While I wouldn't take the moo cow axe over another 378 (say..... the Pit Lord Destroyer) I would PROBABLY take it over the smasher if I had a healer that I was comfortable with, or running content that didn't scare me.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 am

Shoju! Please tear this character apart (my own): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/q ... i/advanced and tell me what she needs fixed (glyphs, gems, etc.)

I've taken an interest in DK tanking again and I like to have gear goals for my alts.

And what's this bajankle I hear about blood shield being different now? I haven't kept up with the changes and don't really know what's going on. I can tank... but I'm not overly sure I'm being effective.

Edit: As for my spec, tweak with it all you like, but I absolutely MUST keep the zero cost interrupt.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 am

Nika.

There isn't much to tear apart :) nice looking alt TBH.

Spec
Your Spec and Glyphs look good. I use the same spec. I'm playing around with 2 things.

Death Strike Glyph, since I find myself pooling my RP more often now with the threat changes, and I'm de-emphasizing the use of heart strike on anything but trash, It's an option to hit harder with DS. Not sure if its a noticable change or not.

I'm debating moving another point into disease length, just so I have some leeway in getting outbreak back up. But, like you have mentioned, the point will probably end up coming out of the free interrupt to do so, and at this point, I still find myself on interrupt duty fairly often.

As far as gear goes, you really just need some runs. You look gemmed and enchanted right, You could pick up a new cloak from doing the thrall quest line (but the new heroics drop a 378), and I would get mastery trinkets instead of stam trinkets.

Fire of the Deep from Valor POints right now is FREAKING AMAZING. TONS of mastery, and the on use coincides with the CD on Dancing Rune Weapon, so if you wanted, you could macro them together and end up with a fairly nice CD.

Blood Shield always happens now. You hit death strike, you get blood shield. It doesn't matter if you miss, or get dodged /parried. it just simply always happens.

It's a HUGE QOL change for both the seasoned and casual DK tanks.
Shoju

Postby theckhd » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 am

Question: Until I get beta access (if I get beta access?), I might fool around with leveling my DK. I'll be doing blood for main spec (and probably Unholy for off-spec?). Out of curiosity, what's my priority order for strikes. The EJ thread suggests that it's basically DS>RS>HS, while keeping diseases up (with IT/PS and/or Outbreak?). Does that basically cover it, or is the EJ threat out-of-date since Gravity quit?

Character link in case anyone wants to give suggestions, she's basically not set up yet. Also, I thought the name was a lot more creative before I realized there were 68 other characters with that name. :/
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Cogglamp » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 am

That's essentially the order of strikes that I do on my DK but I am by no means advanced.
Cogglamp

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 am

Your Priority:

Diseases up ->
Runes Open and not RP Capped -> Death Strike
RP Capped and not going to get pancaked for not DSing -> Rune Strike

Try at all times to keep 1 and only 1 blood rune activated so that your RE procs from Rune Strike are granting you back Death Strike Worthy Runes.

Also, you will need to time when to Bone Shield as it costs a "Death Strike Rune". Blood Tap is nice for that.

My blood spec Is a pretty common Blood Spec. My Glyphs, are probably debatable,but I prefer the DS glyph to the HS glyph, especially since I tend to pool my RP a little more than most DK's I've run across. The difference, in the hits is noticable, and both are pure damage glyphs.

While Leveling, especially in outland, Diseases aren't really worth it, but it's a bad habit to get into. (not using them). I know that I am currently tanking along on an alt DK with just DnD + BB + DS on trash, and only bothering with diseases on bosses, but you have to remember to break that habit.

At low levels, you will scream because you don't have a Taunt for another 5 levels, so if people get stupid, you will have to out threat them the old fashioned way. (shouldn't be hard).

I highly recommend getting a few addons.
A good disease timer
A good rune addon
And a Blood Shield Tracker

Learning how to time BLood Shields will take you from being a good tank, to a god. A good Rune addon (I prefer Runewatch, used on Compact mode) for my rune / RP / Disease management. And I believe the blood shield tracker I use is simply called "Blood Shield Tracker" or something else rather generic.

Another tip. I'm not sure how you have your hotkeys mapped on your paladin for CD's, but I find that my some of my CD's end up on more "common" buttons than I had on Shoju, probably because I have so many Cooldowns.

Looking over your spec, I would have put the points you have in Abom's Might into improved tap, and don't forget to pick up Blood Parasites. You can drop a point from Scent of blood. 2 points is really all you need.
Shoju

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:17 pm

With my DK now at 85, is it a fair judgement to put parry/mastery gems in red, fractured in yellow, and mastery/stam in blue to meet all socket bonuses? Or are there certain socket bonuses to avoid?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:51 am

Fenrìr wrote:With my DK now at 85, is it a fair judgement to put parry/mastery gems in red, fractured in yellow, and mastery/stam in blue to meet all socket bonuses? Or are there certain socket bonuses to avoid?

I have been gemming for all socket bonuses. If you were going to "pass" on socket bonuses, I would pass on Avoidance first, Stam Second, and NEVER Avoidance. Mastery (I shouldn't post when I'm dealing with a head cold)

but yeah, Normally I do

Fine Orange
Fractured Yellows
Puissant Greens

Solid BLues aren't.... "terrible" but I normally don't find it to be optimal.
Shoju

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 am

Alrighty, that's what I've been doing. Cheers.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Arjuna » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 am

So is there still a good DK resource site out there?
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Fenrìr » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Arjuna wrote:So is there still a good DK resource site out there?

yea, it's called come here and bug Shoju.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Arjuna » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Hahaha! Well, then I'll just do that...though I know most things already. The only thing I was wondering about was the gem priority, but I got that one answered above without me having to ask it even, perfect! :D
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Shoju » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm

LOL.

Thanks guys. It makes me feel good to know that you would come and bug me.

@arjuna.

Mastery is our bread and butter awesome-sauce stat at least until 5.0 goes live. When that goes live, I'm afraid there will have to be a new Dk to haunt the off spec forums of MTadin.

If you are looking for "what would Shoju do" This is what I would do, and it should stay active on my tanking gear, (outside of wednesday night) from now until they remove my character from the armory (I don't get to tank as much anymore, since DS needs 2 tanks for a handful of fights).

For more challenging content (Read: H:Blackhorn and H:Madness) It is viable, to favor stamina more, because those two fights can hit like trucks, and Impale on H:Madness is the killer.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Shoju

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 am

Welp, been playing my dk to gear it out for CM:Golds since no one seems to want a prot or ret paladin. Any of you got a DK alt / main for this patch that's decently heroic / raid ready?

Been trying to decide if it's worth it to go 7.5/7.5 into Mastery or just straight Mastery and let the hit/exp come from gear alone.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes