Remove Advertisements

Corporation Plans 2023 Reality TV Mars Mission

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Corporation Plans 2023 Reality TV Mars Mission

Postby Brekkie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QoEEGyS ... r_embedded
http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en

A private space consortium (Mars One) led by Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdrop, promises to get four humans on the surface of Mars as early as 2023, for an estimated cost of six billion USD.

There will be no return journey, it will be a one-way trip. The purpose of the mission is to establish a permanent human settlement on the red planet. The main reason for the one way trip is to slowly grow the colonies population. As every two years, the colony would welcome four new residents.

The entire project from the training phase to the mission itself, will be televised in what could be one of the biggest global media spectacles of all time! The Mars One group hope that the media coverage will in part pay for funding, and attract new investors, as well as inspiring the public to take a more active interest in space exploration.

The Mars One team claim that no new technologies will need to be developed. Apparently all the components needed already exist, and will be provided by a worldwide collection of private space firms. The mission launch vehicle will be Space X’s Falcon nine rocket, and a modified version of the Space X dragon capsule will be used as a lander. The landing site, and habitat will be built by a rover, which will be sent to Mars a few years earlier to prepare for the arrival of the first human colonists.

If your interested in becoming one of the “lucky four” Mars One will be taking applications later this year. Out of these applications 40 people will be selected to take part in a televised 10 year training program in which the applicants/contestants will be narrowed down to the final four through a system of public votes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am cautiously optimistic and excited about this. It has that pioneering "fuck it, let's just do it and figure it out along the ride" attitude. And the reality TV aspect is interesting, and something I've seen pitched by science fiction before.

As Neil DeGrasse Tyson likes to say, there are only three motivators for extremely difficult human endeavors;
1)Praise of royalty or diety
2)War
3)The promise of economic return

What do you guys think, will this happen? Is the business model feasible?

Would you volunteer for it? I know I will.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Re: Corporation Plans 2023 Reality TV Mars Mission

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Brekkie wrote:If your interested in becoming one of the “lucky four” Mars One will be taking applications later this year.

/cry

Seriously though, it sounds interesting, but I just have this feeling we'll get to see the death of four people on reality TV.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:22 pm

I... Seriously would consider doing it. FOR GREAT SCIENCE!
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:53 pm

I would not consider it, but then I have things worth living for. I suppose if I had nothing to lose and it was Mars or jumping off a bridge, I'd go Mars and let millions of people watch me die.

Mars is a barren rock. Even if you "terraformed" it, it would still not have sufficient magnetosphere to shield it from cosmic radiation. Everything you plant would die.

The only means of survival would be in a completely shielded eco-dome type of thing. Spend the rest of my life trapped indoors with Pauly Shore? No thanks.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Esilence » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:17 am

It's something I've always thought would be fascinating to do. Giving up thing's here to have that chance I think would be doable. But the main turn off for me is the reality bit. The fact that if you somehow got to be one of the 40 picked for the training, spent 10 years doing training, then got told you weren't going. No thanks.
Eteyin - Resto Shaman
Esilence - Prot Pally
EU-Wildhammer
Esilence

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 am

Here's why Mars will not be habitable, ever:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast31jan_1/

What atmosphere Mars has is a remnant of what it had when it still had a molten core and the accompanying magnetosphere. When the core solidified, the magnetosphere declined, the planet stopped being protected from solar wind, and the atmosphere effectively blew away.

Unless the core of Mars can be reliquified, the planet is dead. We can plant all sorts of plants, but any oxygen they produce would be bled off and swept into space.

So no habitation of Mars will ever be possible outside of controlled environments, which makes for a pretty sucky and boring existence that nobody would want to tune into beyond the initial novely of living on another planet.

One hopes this is just another version of Space Cadets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cadets_%28television_hoax%29
in which they actually convinced three idiots that they were orbiting the earth when in fact they were in a television studio in England.

Maybe this time they'll ship some retards off to the Sahara desert and convince them it's Mars. Good for a laugh, and better than sentencing 4 people to certain death.
Koatanga

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:02 am

Koatanga wrote:it still had a molten core

TOO SOON

also, Space Cadets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wjPxl1DAE
Invisusira

Postby Gab » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 am

Koatanga wrote:The only means of survival would be in a completely shielded eco-dome type of thing. Spend the rest of my life trapped indoors with Pauly Shore? No thanks.

Viva los Bio-dome! Grew up watching that, great reference. No wonder I'm so mixed up now.

I can appreciate the revenue generating reality TV aspect, but it kind of muddies the whole "experiment" by dubbing it entertainment. Hopefully they keep the over dramatization out of it if it ends up going through.
Gab

Postby Sagara » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:33 am

"Who will be shunted out the depressurisation room? Stay tuned!"
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby culhag » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I'll be surprised if this project still exists in a year.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Invisusira wrote:also, Space Cadets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wjPxl1DAE

Yeah, I loved that series. The best kinds of reality TV shows are the ones that take a bunch of complete idiots and put them into a circumstance in which they have absolutely no clue what they are doing, so we can all laugh at them.

That's why I am currently enjoying Gold Rush on the Discovery Channel.
Koatanga

Postby Ironshield » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:00 am

If man is going to walk on Mars in our lifetime it will probably have to be one way to start with and deal with the whole return journey thing later. If this did go forward I think you would see it kickstart a massive wave of exploration from other avenues. Quite a few people would probably die, but I doubt you'd have too much problem finding volunteers. Everyone for the next few hundred years at least will know the name of the first person to set foot on Mars. And eventually someone would establish a return path as well, even if it required the original colony setting up some sort of refuelling station.

BTW have you read the Red / Green / Blue Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson? Future history of Martian colonization, very good read.
Ironshield

Postby Tophus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 am

I'm curious as to why he chose Mars instead of an easier conquest to start with (like the moon)?
Tophus

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Tophus wrote:I'm curious as to why he chose Mars instead of an easier conquest to start with (like the moon)?

Because no one has ever set foot on Mars. The moon is no longer virgin territory. People will be willing to deal with the inevitable ugly death awaiting for them on Mars if they could be the first to walk on it and get their name in the history books for all time.
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:51 pm

That and the running hypothesis is that Mars did at one point have the capability to sustain life, so should be able to do so again. AFAIK, the moon has never shown that capability.

Also, Martians > Mooninites.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum