Remove Advertisements

Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 am

I'm suprised to see that it would have required over 3 million sales to break even.

The whole situation sucks :(, I really do love R.A. Salvatore too and he put a lot of work into the story of the game.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Re: Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

Postby Klaudandus » Wed May 30, 2012 6:18 am

Shyrtandros wrote:I'm suprised to see that it would have required over 3 million sales to break even.

The whole situation sucks :(, I really do love R.A. Salvatore too and he put a lot of work into the story of the game.

The problem is that 38 Studios dumped a lot of money into an MMO but had nothing to show for it, then they bought BGH, the actual developer of Reckoning, when it was about 90% done, and retooled to fit into the KoA franchise they were trying to develop.

The 3 million mark was to break even on the purchase of BGH and cover the expenses already sunk into the vaporware.

Hindsight being 20/20, but having your studio develop an MMO as its first title is... well... stupid, to say the least.

The MMO market is completely saturated. WoW is still the best MMO out there imo, it has all of what I need, so why would I want play a different MMO? Even an established IP, like SW, does not guarantee a success (with 30% of their initial subscriber base already gone).
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Previous

Return to Other Games