Remove Advertisements

Memorial Day, 94 years later

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Memorial Day, 94 years later

Postby Melathys » Mon May 28, 2012 4:58 pm

So, I've been working on a little project of mine, and noticed that today's letter that I typed up was today's date.

I also figured some of you might be interested in the history of it. I won't keep updating this post with all the letters, but you can follow it here if you'd like.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051292984396159099/posts

Not long ago, I went up to Wisconsin to visit family. I saw my uncle, Gary, and my great uncle, Dick. While I was there I came by an old book regarding my family's history. This book was compiled by Betty Jane Stephan, a cousin (with a great or two added) far removed, and printed in 1993. I managed to take this book home with me. In it, are letters home from my great great uncles, Mickey and Harry, the brothers of my Great Grandfather, Joseph.
I have found these letters to be quite an interesting read, and thought I would share them. I'm not going to do so all at one time, but will post them as I type them up. Today, I will post what appears to be the first letter home. Judging by the editor's note, it seems that these letters were printed in the local newspaper, where Betty Jane Stephan managed to find them in the microfiche of the library where she found most of the information she used to make her book.
SOLDIERS LETTERS: Somewhere in France, May 28, 1918

Dear Folks and all,
Well just got through washing some of my clothes so I thought I would sit down and write a few lines to you, while I have the time, as I have the “energetics” this morning. I am getting the Pick and Gad regular, and it is surely great to read the news from our little city, we certainly like to hear the news from back home. Well folks, I am in good condition and feeling fine, only we have to work pretty hard right now, but then we are hardened into it by this time. I am still on MP duty, but I think we will soon be relieved as we have been on this for over three months. Harry was on duty with me for awhile but they took him off, as he has his own job as saddler.
A week ago last Sunday I went to Rennes, a pretty large city, which has a population of over one hundred thousand. I saw some very interesting things. I saw some Russian, Japanese, Algerian and a great number of French soldiers there. Also visited a great museum and I certainly saw some wonderful sights. All the different kinds of implements of war, from the time when they used to use the catapult to the present day. A catapult is a wooden machine, that hurls a large stone, and if you read history they used to use it mostly for siege work, to attack towers etc. There was also some architecture from China and Japan and that was pretty fine work. Well I can’t tell you all I saw right now, but it was certainly worth my while to go through there.
We have a swell barracks where we are now. It is a two story structure, made of concrete and all divided up into separate rooms. There are five corporals in my room besides myself. Eldren McDermott is one of them.
Well the weather here is fine right now, not too hot and not too cold, but don’t know how long it will last. We expect to draw our horses soon but don’t know just when. Well it is almost time for me to go on duty again and I can’t think of much more to write.
Hoping you all are in the best of health, with best wishes and love to all.
Your Loving Son, Corporal A.M. Stephan, Co E. 107 Amm.Train A.E.F.
Melathys

Re: Memorial Day, 94 years later

Postby Brekkie » Mon May 28, 2012 5:57 pm

There are five corporals in my room besides myself.

I see some things never change.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Re: Memorial Day, 94 years later

Postby Melathys » Mon May 28, 2012 8:46 pm

yea, I was noticing his letters home end the same way mine usually did. "can't think of anything else to write, so bye for now."
Melathys

Return to Arkham Asylum