Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby benebarba » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 am

Fenrìr wrote:One thing you may do as well, is use the Mastery/stam food. While mastery beyond the cap is wasted, it can allow a gem or two to swap to a stam one or even a mastery/stam in a yellow/blue socket.

Netting you a little more health.

I do this, letting me move a couple gems around since I can always go catch or buy lavascale catfish. It's also why I pretty much never eat from the feasts dropped in raids, unless I'm dpsing, since it'll likely give you dodge (maybe parry, I know I've never gotten mastery. presumably it isn't a possibility).
benebarba

Postby Gab » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:18 am

It's dodge 100% of the time from the fish feast.
Gab

Postby benebarba » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 am

I figured it was something like that, but wasn't 100% sure.
benebarba

Postby Enliightened » Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Hello all!

I have been a reader on here for a while, but I recently got my pally to 85 and I am kinda stuck and dont know where to go from here...Also this was a boosted character from rez scroll so I havent done any profs yet either.

I am just wondering where would be a good place to start on getting geared and gems/enchants. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is my armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced

Thanks
Enliight
Enliightened

Postby econ21 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:43 am

Enliightened wrote:I am just wondering where would be a good place to start on getting geared and gems/enchants.

It sticks in my throat to say this (as I love tanking and dislike dpsing), but at this stage of the expansion, I would recommend that you play as retribution for a bit while you accumulate tank gear. With your crafted PvP gear, I think you have the ilevel to do the three Hour of Twilight heroics. Just chain running these gives you access to a full set of 378 drops as well as the JPs/VPs to buy other gear. Do that until you get the ilevel to run looking for raid (372 iirc), which will give you extra VPs and the chance of getting tier tokens, which you can use for tank stuff.

The reason I recommend playing as dps while you gear up is that PUGs may be very intolerant of undergeared tanks (pvp gear in particular will be a red-rag to them) and you risk being abused or kicked, which is just not fun. If your dps is not stellar, on the other hand, you'll probably escape much comment and almost certainly won't be kicked. While running as dps you will still get a good chance at tank drops. Etiquette implies let the tanks get first priority in 5 mans but typically they won't need the gear. In LFR, the tier tokens are for everyone and pure tank drops are a little less important, with only 2 tanks in the raid meaning they may well not want the drops anyway.

One you get bona fide tank gear (ie replace the PvP crafted gear) of the right level to do HoTs and LFR, then by all means tank but I would not stress yourself by doing it prematurely.

For gems and enchants, you need gold (although running 5 mans may give you a nice supply of enchant mats). Dailies are one way to get gold. I found Firelands dailies to be the least obnoxious while Tol Barad may be the most rewarding (that trinket, Mirror of Broken images, is still very good for the latest raid). I would at least gem and enchant 378+ gear.

I would work on your professions, just to get in shape for MoP. One gathering and one crafting can be quite painless to level. I did mining/jc on my first alt and levelling the profs seemed a breeze, plus they were quite useful profs in general and particularly for tanking. That combo could well solve your problem of gemming your gear: your mining will give you raw gems, your JCing will allow you to cut them. On my second alt, I am going herb/alchemy and levelling it is also easy although I would not have herbing on a main. My main is mining/BS and I recall BS was a pain to level; it's probably better now.

Finally, I hope you are in a good guild. They can help enormously - doing enchants or crafting gems for free (if you provide the mats) and grouping with you to help you get your first taste of tanking new instances. If you want to raid normals or heroic raids, being in an active guild is next to essential. Depending on your server, there may be PUG raids, but the full experience comes from raiding with a group of friends.
econ21

Postby Enliightened » Thu May 10, 2012 8:51 am

Thanks for the awesome response, this is the exact reason I came here and not somewhere else. Everyone here is always very helpful! I really appreciate that. Mining/JC are gonna be my profs. Trying to convince my wife to mine for me while I am at work/school lol.

I am in a GREAT guild, and I am gonna start running heroics with them so I can start getting better gear. I do okay in normals, which I am doing simply for JP, so I can get my hands on some better pieces. The crafted pvp was better than what I had, that's why I went with those. They actually helped tremendously and made it easier on me. The random dungeon groups I have been getting into lately have been tremendous. Most of the dungeons are a breeze because the dps is usually through the roof.

As for going ret my gear for that is downright terrible havent upgraded since lvl 82 lol. I think my guild is more than willing to help me with getting better gear while tanking the dungeons. Luckily we have crazy dps and amazing heals.

Thanks again for the well-thought-out response.
Enliightened

Postby Bakey » Thu May 17, 2012 8:27 am

A trinket question for you guys. I managed to pick up Indomitable Pride out of LFR last night, and I'm not sure what trinkets to use now. Armory link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... n/advanced

We're clearing 10N DS now, and I've got the 2 trinkets shown, the normal Resolve of Undying, and now the LFR Indomitable Pride. Should I drop Fire of the Deep and regem for the lost mastery to run primarily Pride and Veil? I'd been swapping Veil out for Resolve during the Blackthorn fight, should I keep doing that?
Bakey

Postby Gab » Thu May 17, 2012 9:28 am

I can't look at your link atm so I can't say for sure, but until I get a chance here are some thoughts.

Resolve is pretty bad... Of the four I would go with IP and FotD for all of the fights in DS normal.

FotD over VoL for two reasons. The higher itemization from FotD could net you more stam because you will be able to convert gems to pure stam gems and the on use dodge is much better than the random proc dodge on VoL.

On Blackharon specifically I still don't like Resolve over FotD and IP. The IP shield proc tends to be quite good on Blackhorn because his melee and all of his abilities hit fairly hard and FotD on use is good for slowing/stopping the debuff stacking and reducing DTPS while your OT's stacks drop. Since you wont be tanking the entirety of P2 in most circumstances the dodge from resolve loses some value when compared to the on demand dodge from FotD and the shield proc from IP.

Edit: Just checked your link and imported your toon into Chardev.org real quick, everything looks good for the most part. Just thought I would mention that with kings, horn and dodge food you are 103.16 CTC. If you're using mastery food and elixirs than you are even further over the cap. You can start converting dodge and parry into expertise/hit with reforging or you can start swapping out green and purple gems for pure stam gems or a mix of both. It depends on what you feel would benefit you and your group more.

Theck has compiled some information found in the link below that will help you efficiently prioritize which socket bonuses should be skipped if you decide to go that route.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32711
Gab

Postby Thegreatiam » Sat May 26, 2012 3:39 am

http://armorylite.com/us/blackrock/overkilladin/

Just curious here, as I'm currently 103.16% CTC without buffs, what you guys would recommend for reforging/gems/etc. I'm working on trying to get this all figured out in between workdays, but I'm not having a lot of luck.

What does dodge food + full raid buffs get me towards CTC? Should I consider mastery food instead?

Any other advice for me?

As always guys, thanks for whatever input you have time to give :) Time for sleep...
Thegreatiam

Postby theckhd » Sat May 26, 2012 5:44 am

The amount of CTC gained through buffs and food will vary based on diminishing returns. But it's generally a little over 1%; 1.15% in your specific setup.

Ask Mr. Robot is actually a pretty good resource in your case, because you can use the default settings. Just bringing up your character, it immediately tells me that you're at 104.3% with raid buffs, so you can shed some mastery for more stamina.

There are two noticeable gear upgrades you can pick up from valor: Forgesmelter Waistplate and Fire of the Deep. Neither of these are ilvl upgrades, but they're both better itemized than what you're wearing. The belt will net you a socket and let you trade a bunch of hit for more mastery (and subsequently more stamina from gemming). The trinket replaces the extremely poor Resolve of the Undying, again giving you much more CTC and letting you shift mastery gems to stamina. I'd also recommend using Indomitable Pride instead of Soulshifter Vortex, if you can get your hands on it, since Soulshifter's proc is useless.

Making those two gear upgrades and letting Mr. Robot optimize your enchants/gems/reforges, you gain 1577 stamina, or a little over 22k health.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Thegreatiam » Sat May 26, 2012 11:16 am

I have FotD, but I've been led to believe that once I've reached CTC, I should be trying to maximize my pure avoidance stats and ideally losing it.

I'll pick up the belt next time I get a chance, and utilize Mr. Robot sometime after work. I did notice just now that expertise has been weighted very low, is it not recommended to soft cap expertise to eliminate boss parry anymore? How severely will that affect my damage/threat output?

Should I be trying to convince my guild to go back and do H-FL for that trinket?

Last but not least, SBV meta > Armor meta, is that right?

Thanks, Theck! Too bad you're on Alliance and I can't bug you in-game ;-)
Thegreatiam

Postby theckhd » Sat May 26, 2012 11:47 am

Thegreatiam wrote:I have FotD, but I've been led to believe that once I've reached CTC, I should be trying to maximize my pure avoidance stats and ideally losing it.

Some people advocate that route. I personally don't, because it doesn't suit the content and because I think the fundamental premise behind stacking avoidance is flat-out wrong. Dragon Soul throws a lot of un-blockable, un-avoidable damage at you, which makes both mastery and avoidance weaker. More to the point, the basic idea behind stacking avoidance is that a tank that takes 1-2% less damage is magically better somehow. That's the part I think is wrong - taking less damage is good, of course, but it's not as good as the alternative, which is giving your healers more breathing room with extra stamina. With the amount of overheal and near-limitless mana regen that we see in T13 content, taking 1-2% less damage just turns into noise fluctuations.

Thegreatiam wrote:I'll pick up the belt next time I get a chance, and utilize Mr. Robot sometime after work. I did notice just now that expertise has been weighted very low, is it not recommended to soft cap expertise to eliminate boss parry anymore? How severely will that affect my damage/threat output?

Most tanks aren't focusing on hit/exp at all, and haven't all expansion. Bosses don't get parry-haste anymore, so parry-gibs aren't a concern. All hit/exp does for you right now is increase DPS and give you more reliable Holy Power generation. Those aren't negligible benefits, but in terms of raw survivability they're not that compelling. Threat is a non-issue since the threat modifier buff - after the first 30 seconds, you can basically auto-attack and Vengeance will hold aggro for you (note that I'm not recommending this, mind you).

I'll note that there are exceptions here. Many of us built a high-DPS set for Ultraxion because he didn't tax tanks very much, but had a tight enrage timer. In addition, hit/exp-stacking is more common and more beneficial in 10-man raids, where the tank's DPS is a more significant portion of raid DPS. In 25-mans though, it's rarely considered important.

Thegreatiam wrote:Should I be trying to convince my guild to go back and do H-FL for that trinket?

If you're talking about Indomitable Pride, it's a Dragon Soul drop. But it's one of the shared loot drops, so it can be fairly rare.

Thegreatiam wrote:Last but not least, SBV meta > Armor meta, is that right?

In general, yes, but note that the same rationale for stam-stacking instead of dodge/parry-stacking applies here too. Most of the dangerous damage in Dragon Soul isn't blockable, which would tend to favor the armor meta (example: Impale). However, a lot of it is also magical, which negates either bonus. In my opinion, pick whichever one is best for the fight you're currently progressing on. I'd use SBV for Morchok, Ultrax, Blackhorn, and Spine. I'd use armor for Hagara and Madness (Impale). Also consider there's a spell damage reduction meta, which might be the best choice for Zon'ozz, Yor'sahj, and Madness (Tetanus).

Thegreatiam wrote:Thanks, Theck! Too bad you're on Alliance and I can't bug you in-game ;-)

You could just visit Stormwind and mime your questions. There's nobody left on Alliance to try to kill you anyway! :P
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Thegreatiam » Sat May 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Sorry for the terrible transition, but I was referring to the trinket that I see you wearing on the armory from hc beth :)
Thegreatiam

Postby Bakey » Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Gab wrote:Edit: Just checked your link and imported your toon into Chardev.org real quick, everything looks good for the most part. Just thought I would mention that with kings, horn and dodge food you are 103.16 CTC. If you're using mastery food and elixirs than you are even further over the cap. You can start converting dodge and parry into expertise/hit with reforging or you can start swapping out green and purple gems for pure stam gems or a mix of both. It depends on what you feel would benefit you and your group more.

Theck has compiled some information found in the link below that will help you efficiently prioritize which socket bonuses should be skipped if you decide to go that route.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32711

Thanks for the heads up and the link. I know I'm a bit over CTC right now, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to swap out to all epic gems for a few more K health. We're farming 10N now (when we can get people to show) so I'm not really hurting for more stam. Also, I'm using dodge food and cauldron flask, so not wasting a ton of mastery there.

At any rate, I'm going to try IP and FotD as my 2 trinkets for a while and see how it goes.
Bakey

Postby theckhd » Mon May 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Thegreatiam wrote:Sorry for the terrible transition, but I was referring to the trinket that I see you wearing on the armory from hc beth :)

Oh, that one? I don't think it's worth going back to farm it if you don't have it. I use it because I can't easily shed more mastery, so the extra mastery on Fire of the Deep doesn't do me any good, and I prefer the absorb effect to the on-click avoidance cooldown (mostly because again, avoidance doesn't help me in the two situations I care about: Impale and Tetanus).

In your situation, I'd probably stick with the Fire, since you can use that extra mastery to gem more stamina.
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice