Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 15, 2012 6:50 am

Between my guild and friends there were about a dozen of us all on for launch. I was one of two that were able to get on and make characters within the first 5 minutes. I didn’t realize that character names are not unique and anyone can have the same name. Which resulted in me trying to reserve names and I ended up getting booted off server.  Luckily I was back on and playing within 15 minutes. I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky, I had guildies who didn’t get on at all after 90 minutes of trying before they gave up and went to bed. Almost all of my friends were on within an hour or so of trying.

Game play wise I was really enjoying the game. I like that when you group with a friend you can click their banner in town and teleport directly to them. We REALLY liked the independent loot system; it results in A LOT more loot when you kill bosses. Each person can get several magic or rare drops from a big boss vs. just the 2 or 3 total you would get from D2.

Two of us played for the 90 minutes or so completely solo and just churned out leveling and quests and we were both 7 & 8 by the time the others got on. I rolled an alt for group play to see the difference in leveling and was astonished.

While D2 scaled spawns and difficulty based on 1-8 players in the game - Diablo 3 does a much better job of it with their 1-4 player scaling. The experience differences for groups are CRAZY. Within 2 hours the 4 man group was able to PASS my friend who was solo leveling and he never slowed down or stopped for anything. If you kill several enemies in one “encounter” you get bonus experience. If you kill multiple mobs with one ability you’ll get more bonus experience. So you can see that when hordes of enemies are spawned from multiplayer games if you for example spam an AoE cone and get 20 kills in 1 click you’re experience bar is going to explode.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Worldie » Tue May 15, 2012 8:35 am

I'm feeling extremely paperish on my Witch Doctor, while my friends playing Monk or Barbarian don't look like taking damage at all. Am I doin something wrong?

I'm 21 btw.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 15, 2012 9:18 am

Worldie wrote:I'm feeling extremely paperish on my Witch Doctor, while my friends playing Monk or Barbarian don't look like taking damage at all. Am I doin something wrong?

I'm 21 btw.

Part of the game design is that all melee characters have a set percentage of bonus defense since ranged don't have to "get in the thick of it".
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Flex » Tue May 15, 2012 9:20 am

One of the first Barbarian passives is 25% increase in health globe drop chance and 100% increase in effectiveness, they also get Revenge which has a chance to activate when taking damage and heals the Barbarian for each target it hits.

Looking at all of the MMO mindset being transferred to this game on the forums is amusing. What's the best build for..., what about tanking? 2H, dual wield or 1H and shield?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 15, 2012 10:06 am

Flex wrote:One of the first Barbarian passives is 25% increase in health globe drop chance and 100% increase in effectiveness, they also get Revenge which has a chance to activate when taking damage and heals the Barbarian for each target it hits.

Looking at all of the MMO mindset being transferred to this game on the forums is amusing. What's the best build for..., what about tanking? 2H, dual wield or 1H and shield?

They're going to get a rude awakening and I'm going to love it...

On the other hand.. the DOTA & LOL community will reign supreme.
Shyrtandros

Postby Passionario » Tue May 15, 2012 10:27 am

If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby sahiel » Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 am

Shyrtandros wrote:
Worldie wrote:I'm feeling extremely paperish on my Witch Doctor, while my friends playing Monk or Barbarian don't look like taking damage at all. Am I doin something wrong?

I'm 21 btw.

Part of the game design is that all melee characters have a set percentage of bonus defense since ranged don't have to "get in the thick of it".

Tooltip just said "Monks and Barbarians take 30% less damage than Wizards and Witch Doctors" so... I expect it'll be 30% :)

Seems like a huge amount but i'm sure it's been tested.
Last edited by sahiel on Tue May 15, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 am

My Barbarian leaped onto a bridge covered with the corpses of my slain foes sending them hurdling in all directions. Several long seconds later in the background a corpse fell silently in the chasm below me since the force of my leap flung it high into the sky.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Tue May 15, 2012 2:18 pm

This Belial guy is giving me pain. Is there a way to actually avoid his smash on the ground? Seembs to hit me even if i move away from it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Tue May 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Bah, there's no D3 client download under my battle.net account. Time to log a ticket...
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Only thing I'm not liking right now is that you can only have one ability from each section active at a time. Am I just misremembering being allowed to have more than that on D2? And is there a quicker way to switch them besides the skills tab?

Playing a Witch Doctor atm, lvl 7, and it would be nice to be able to have both Grasping Hands and Firebats useable...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue May 15, 2012 4:32 pm

They intend you to have 6 abilities always available, and be able to change them at any time but at a price. If you change an ability, that ability incurrs in a cooldown of like 20 seconds.

So yea, you are supposed to face every fight with only 6 abilities, but you can change abilities and runes between fights.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby tinalt » Tue May 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Only thing I'm not liking right now is that you can only have one ability from each section active at a time. Am I just misremembering being allowed to have more than that on D2? And is there a quicker way to switch them besides the skills tab?

Playing a Witch Doctor atm, lvl 7, and it would be nice to be able to have both Grasping Hands and Firebats useable...

If I understand you right, you want to go into your options and turn on "Elective Mode"

That will let you "build" your character the way you want. If you want nothing but defensive abilities on your toolbar, you can use all of them. If you want noting but resource generating abilities, you can do that too. It allows you to play around with different builds, for lack of a better term.

If you don't have elective mode turned on, you can only have one ability of each type on your bar.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Will this "unlock" the other slots? Because right now I only have left/right-click, 1, and Q (for potions.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby tinalt » Tue May 15, 2012 6:24 pm

No, the other slots open based on level. you should get the 2 slot around level 9 i think, then 3 at 12 or 13, and the last a few levels after that. All the elective mode does is make it so you can put any ability (that you've unlocked) in any of your slots.
tinalt
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games