Tanking Prince:

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Prince:

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 am

So last night we ran Kara again, and our RL let me tank the fun way (no cc / 2nd tank basically from attuman ->curator other than on the stewards / ushers and the big guys just before the curator). It was fun and the deaths were few and far between. we reach the prince fight however and its going well, dps is going full, I have salvation on none of them (so mana is not an issue for the casters), and the phase 2 hits.

5 solid hits in a row, and I fall over in a small dented heap and the raid wipes shortly afterwards. For some reason this always seems to happen to me, getting wiped easily like this, and I am wondering if its my gear or just bad luck,

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... r&n=elyria

thats my armoury link, any suggestions as to getting gear / ideas to help with this as it can't just be bad luck (I hope). We are currently clearing kara every week, and clearing gruul as well so thats the kind of gear I can try and bid on with dkp / pray drops. Think the armoury has me wearing my figurine of the colossus right now, normally I use moroes lucky pocket watch for the additional dodge.
2ndNin

Postby Boudi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 am

Tanked: KZ(nightbane left), Nalorakk
Boudi

Postby Huon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 am

yea prince is a dodge fight because you want to dodge the sunders at phase 2...

I tanked him no prob with 20-21% though... Mmm

with your gear, you should NEVER get hit, it should always be parry/dodge/block/miss since you are over 102.4% avoidance.

so im thinking your positing is whats wrong, did you turn your back to him? even a split second? that would make him hit you hard and fast like you seem to have encountered.

Other than that... I dont know
Last edited by Huon on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huon

Postby Boudi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:22 am

Huon wrote:so im thinking your positing is whats wrong, did you turn your back to him? even a split second? that would make him hit you hard and fast like you seem to have encountered.
instead of smashing his holy shield button he was hitting his /sit button :lol:
Tanked: KZ(nightbane left), Nalorakk
Boudi

Re: Tanking Prince:

Postby kaenna » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 am

I will be honest I have not checked you're armory link, but I would assume that you are uncrushable and uncritable.

I tank him myself, and outside of the obvious (dont turn you're back to him, have holy shield up all the time) I would ask if you had this flurry of hits during the second phase? Because of his riposte, during the second phase I will turn my attack off, use holy shield, consecrate and exorcism only...helps a lot. Positioning of course is key, and there are two defenite points on the platform where infernals dont spawn...
kaenna

Postby Korath » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:42 am

I've been hit by around 21K of dmg in 1sec~ without a crushing before, only the once but it hurt.

Phase 2 your healers should be spamming you, not waiting for your to take damage before healing. When I did it last night I thought I was uber dodging as my heal bar wasnt moving most of the time but then I noticed I still had plenty of mana... Our healers were just spamming me all the time.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:45 am

Yeah was uncrushable for the whole fight with holy shield up. Basically the 5 hits all came within about a second for ~16K health (was at 95% when they hit, so it killed me :().

was always towards him even when I got knocked back (our guild uses the notches rather than the running around infernals technique) so wasn't run through or anything. I didn't stop attacking him in phase 2 though, so I may have been parried and killed (paying more attention to threat and threat gen since I didn't salvation anyone (... no I wasn't enfeebled, that would have been embarassing though after saying they didn't need it).

Am not really sure why I died, which is why I am asking if there is something, when our warrior tank did it on the next pull he got crushed a bit but took less damage overall and wasn't in risk of dying like that, yet he doesn't have that much more mitigation he was taking about 600 damage less on each hit (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... er&n=garan). Am I going to be stuck taking significantly more damage for my whole career or is there a decent gear path that averages this out?
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Korath » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:47 am

as soon as he hits 60% I disengage, change to devotion aura, chug a ironsheild pot and eat a nightmare seed then pop wings, exorsism, concs, judge rightous disengage again. Keeping holy sheild up at all times ofc.

Exorsism & concs whenever up. Oh and dont forget your trinkets.

:)

Korath

Postby Zeels » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm

What did you use before devotion :O

I use devotion the entire fight. Thank to exorcism I never have to worry about aggro, more about surviving 60-40%
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Antharas » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Korath wrote:as soon as he hits 60% I disengage, change to devotion aura, chug a ironsheild pot and eat a nightmare seed then pop wings, exorsism, concs, judge rightous disengage again. Keeping holy sheild up at all times ofc.

Exorsism & concs whenever up. Oh and dont forget your trinkets.

:)

if you pop wings right off the bat u will get more threat cause it effects ur hits also? i may be completly wrong but even if your TPS goes to 0 as long as you still have more threat overall than anyone else he will still attack you correct?

if this is the case, then it is more advantageous to pop wings right off the bat, giving more of an initail threat boost. wings will prbly be up sometime during phase 2 anyway unless ur dps is amazingly good.

to the original poster: you prbly just got parried, turn off auto attack and make sure any melee dps are behind him
Antharas

Postby Minn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:35 am

2ndNin wrote:...
Am not really sure why I died, which is why I am asking if there is something, when our warrior tank did it on the next pull he got crushed a bit but took less damage overall and wasn't in risk of dying like that, yet he doesn't have that much more mitigation he was taking about 600 damage less on each hit (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... er&n=garan). Am I going to be stuck taking significantly more damage for my whole career or is there a decent gear path that averages this out?

Did you get any of the warrior's debuffs when you were tanking? Having Demo Shout up during P2 will reduce the maximum damage you take. Commanding Shout and Thunderclap are nice as well. P2 Prince is also a good time to bust out all your consumable tricks: things like Ironshield Potions, Nightmare Seeds, Healthstones all keep you up longer. If you've got a trinket with an active ability like the Pocketwatch, FotC or Adamantite Figurine you can pop it to thin the damage out even further. A timely self-LoH can cover a nasty spike as well.
Minn

Postby 2ndNin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:49 am

Don't know about warrior debuffs, but trinkets and pots were blown :D
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Wakeman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Your stat is fine for tanking prince. I (and probably many other pallies) tanked prince with worse stat the first time I tanked him. So it is probably some of the reasons the others described above.

Though actually, your gear need some fine tuning IMHO. With your gear level, you SHOULD have more health than you have right now. Your spell damage is over-shot too much for a kara group. 200-250 is usually sufficient. If I were you, I would:

- replace all red gems with +8 dodge, or even +12 stam if the socket bonus is no good.

- replace all green gems with +4 def/6 stam (though you need to make sure you are still 490 def after doing this.), or even +12 stam if the socket bonus is no good.

- blue gems socket = 12 stam AND NO OTHER CHOICE!

- +12 dodge to back

- +10 sta to gloves

- GET A S1 GAVEL BY GRINDING BATTLEGROUND! More +sta and spell dmg than your sword. I am surprised actually that there are still so few tankadins around carrying it, given that it is so easily obtainable now!

Do it all correctly and I expect you to have like at least 600-700 more hp unbuffed and more with raid buffed. When you have 19k+ raid buffed hp like me, the encounter is trivial.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Korath » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

I normally have reti aura up before he hits phase 2, hes not that bad before then.

Antharas wrote:if you pop wings right off the bat u will get more threat cause it effects ur hits also? i may be completly wrong but even if your TPS goes to 0 as long as you still have more threat overall than anyone else he will still attack you correct?

if this is the case, then it is more advantageous to pop wings right off the bat, giving more of an initail threat boost. wings will prbly be up sometime during phase 2 anyway unless ur dps is amazingly good.

Yep, I pop wings at the start for a sheild pull and as you said its up by the time you get to phase 2. After the sucess of destruction pots on Void Reaver last night I might take a couple for Prince, would be damn nice for threat... does it use the same CD as ironsheild tho?

Korath

Postby 2ndNin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 am

Spell damage I feel is necessary, in long fights locks and that will hit 80% of my threat (stuff like prince, overhealing doesn't give mana back), as I will go oom and be relying on spiritual or wisdom. With the level I have (and a flask) I will never get caught, and given a proper set of healing they won't hit 50% of my threat (useful for stuff like vr which reduces threat). Ok its high but is there anyway to keep it high and stamina up or is it definetly a trade there?

Our mages and that are better geared than me, and I dislike making them threat limited even in fights like vr :D
[/url]
2ndNin

Next

Return to Karazhan