Remove Advertisements

Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri May 11, 2012 7:22 am

Winkle wrote:Have they fixed Illum yet? I couldn't believe the mess they made of world pvp.

What about rated BG's?

They retired Ilum, no more quests or reasons to go there unless you organize a group vs group battle for fun.

Rated WZ's are still not in the game and are still "coming soon".
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri May 11, 2012 7:24 am

Shyrtandros wrote:
Winkle wrote:Have they fixed Illum yet? I couldn't believe the mess they made of world pvp.

What about rated BG's?

They retired the Ilum pvp area, no more quests or reasons to go there unless you organize a group vs group battle for fun.

Rated WZ's are still not in the game and are still "coming soon".
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Barathorn » Tue May 15, 2012 7:18 am

I cancelled my account 3 weeks ago. I had no reason to log in other than to stare at what could have been. Cracking game but really its a single player game because Bioware set the caps far too low for initial servers thus killing any sense of community because it never had a chance to grow. Still glad I played it but I feel its a wasted opportunity.

I am currently playing a free Ultima Online server pre Renaisance which is brutal, gritty and real while I wait for the Secret World and GW2.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 15, 2012 7:57 am

Barathorn wrote:I cancelled my account 3 weeks ago. I had no reason to log in other than to stare at what could have been. Cracking game but really its a single player game because Bioware set the caps far too low for initial servers thus killing any sense of community because it never had a chance to grow. Still glad I played it but I feel its a wasted opportunity.

I am currently playing a free Ultima Online server pre Renaisance which is brutal, gritty and real while I wait for the Secret World and GW2.

I’m about || close to cancelling out my subscription too. The only thing holding me back is my friends and guildies since I’m the GM. (Yeah that’s REALLY bad.) Although I’m thinking of just MAKING sure they have my Skype, battle.net ID, and of course access to my mumble and just communicating with them all that way. I don’t see why I would bother continuing with SWTOR since now I have D3, LOL & GW2 Beta and if I really wanted MOP beta.
Shyrtandros

Postby Barathorn » Tue May 15, 2012 8:04 am

If you are going to play GW2 I might hit you up for a guild invite when it starts.

I think quite a few people are waiting for it now and despite my initial reservations it does look to be what I want from a game. The Secret World interests me because it has the same skill progression style as UO but I think it might be a bit samey after a while.

We found with SWTOR anything with voice dialogue just doesn't work one bit when you are on ventrillo with your friends as all that happens is you end up logging out from vent to hear the story narrative which really works at cross purposes to enjoying the game with your friends.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 am

Barathorn wrote:If you are going to play GW2 I might hit you up for a guild invite when it starts.

I’m not big into the Guild Wars series like my father and his geezers are but they’ve definitely got a guild put together for everyone and you’d be more than welcome to join.  (Woot for having a gamer dad! I hooked him on Asteroids (15?) years ago.

Barathorn wrote:
I think quite a few people are waiting for it now and despite my initial reservations it does look to be what I want from a game. The Secret World interests me because it has the same skill progression style as UO but I think it might be a bit samey after a while.

I can’t say much because I haven’t tried it – however I’ve had a lot of “meh” feedback on The Secret World from everyone.

Barathorn wrote:We found with SWTOR anything with voice dialogue just doesn't work one bit when you are on ventrillo with your friends as all that happens is you end up logging out from vent to hear the story narrative which really works at cross purposes to enjoying the game with your friends.

This is going to be a problem we’re all going to have to learn to work with. Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and many other new games are coming with Voice Dialogue.

As a side note.. I love how everyone thought SWTOR was “the bees knees” with their voice dialogue missions when Diablo 2 had Voice Dialogue 14 years for all of their quests. (Albeit voice acting for D2 probably took like an hour.. lol)
Shyrtandros

Postby sahiel » Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Shyrtandros wrote:
Barathorn wrote:We found with SWTOR anything with voice dialogue just doesn't work one bit when you are on ventrillo with your friends as all that happens is you end up logging out from vent to hear the story narrative which really works at cross purposes to enjoying the game with your friends.

This is going to be a problem we’re all going to have to learn to work with. Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and many other new games are coming with Voice Dialogue.

Might I suggest Mumble instead of vent, we started using it and it's far preferable. The sound seems clearer, people who used to lag on vent are lag free, it can auto quieten music you have playing a bit when someone speaks if you choose, it has a simple button to mute both mic and headset from mumble (individually or together) so there's no need to log out for quest convos etc.

All in all I'm really pleased we switched to it, oh and it was half the price of vent as well.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue May 15, 2012 12:28 pm

sahiel wrote:
Shyrtandros wrote:

Might I suggest Mumble instead of vent, we started using it and it's far preferable. The sound seems clearer, people who used to lag on vent are lag free, it can auto quieten music you have playing a bit when someone speaks if you choose, it has a simple button to mute both mic and headset from mumble (individually or together) so there's no need to log out for quest convos etc.

All in all I'm really pleased we switched to it, oh and it was half the price of vent as well.

Doh! I totally meant to mention this in my last post. We immediately made the switch to Mumble and it’s great because we can drop in the chat box or just make a quick “Listening to RP” statement and pop the speaker off / mic off buttons.
Shyrtandros

Postby Baelor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 am

I had a blast getting my Jedi Knight to 50 and gearing him up in operations.
It was even fun running the same hard-mode flashpoint daily for a piece of gear I wanted, trying to beat my fastest speed record with PUG members as I flew through the flashpoint at warp speed, dragging the bewildered PUG's with me.

The problem I'm encountering now is that while the class stories are fun, I've seen the world arc before. I have little desire to re-live the Republic world arc, and I don't want to play Empire. Thus, I'm finding little motivation to play alts, and I've maxed out the PvE progression for my Knight.

The thought of subscription cancellation is dancing around in my head, and having trouble finding reasons to quiet it. And this is coming from a guy who was so jazzed about this game that he volunteered time for a fan site in a vain attempt to get insider info.

I want to love SWTOR, but I don't know if I can.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby sahiel » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Baelor wrote:The problem I'm encountering now is that while the class stories are fun, I've seen the world arc before. I have little desire to re-live the Republic world arc, and I don't want to play Empire. Thus,

Any particularly strong reason? The Imperial Agent story-line is one of the strongest and most interesting in the whole game imo and that of most of my friends and guild mates who have tried it, definitely worth a go I'd suggest.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 pm

sahiel wrote:
Baelor wrote:The problem I'm encountering now is that while the class stories are fun, I've seen the world arc before. I have little desire to re-live the Republic world arc, and I don't want to play Empire. Thus,

Any particularly strong reason? The Imperial Agent story-line is one of the strongest and most interesting in the whole game imo and that of most of my friends and guild mates who have tried it, definitely worth a go I'd suggest.

Most Empire NPC's are douches from what I've experienced. In my head the Empire are the bad guys, and I hate playing the bad guy, even if I can be civilly disobedient by choosing light side options. I'm still working for "the wrong side". Know what I mean?
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Sagara » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Depends. See above for the Imperial Agent: the head council is a grab-bag of douchebags and don't try to hide it. Meanwhile, there are many, MANY decent people even higher up in the structure (I'm thinking about your team leader in the IA story).

To be perfectly honest, the big difference between the Republican and Imperial structure is that Imperial command does not even go through the motions of "trying to help the helpless". I remember many a fuckton of crap being sent my way in the Soldier story, to the point that defection did not seem THAT stupid. OTOH, the Sith do look downright moronic most of the time...

I think my best definition would be "A place with little personal liberties in the name of the group, whose evangelical faction found godlike power by become cackling egomaniacs. They then decided because THEY had power, THEY should decide how the place was run."
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Torquemada » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Baelor wrote:Most Empire NPC's are douches from what I've experienced. In my head the Empire are the bad guys, and I hate playing the bad guy, even if I can be civilly disobedient by choosing light side options. I'm still working for "the wrong side". Know what I mean?

Fortunately, you get to kill most of those.

As for the problem with launching with too many servers, they're in the process of shrinking down to about 12 or so servers for US, and 11 for Europe. This obviously spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E, but it means that for the first time since I can't remember I didn't spend more time fishing for a group to do the heroic daily missions than I did doing the missions. And it also means Barrens, er, Fleet Chat is back on, with people actually wanting to run shit. Good times while it lasts.
A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson
Torquemada

Postby Epimer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 am

I apologise if this has been answered earlier: are there any particular classes which excel at soloing?

I've just picked up SWTOR with 60 days play time in the hope that it'll keep me occupied until MoP release time. I've no intention of doing much group end-game stuff so I'm only really interested in doing stuff solo.

I appreciate that all classes have soloing capabilities because of the companion system but are there any particular stand-outs that people would recommend?
Epimer

Postby Torquemada » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 am

Epimer wrote:I apologise if this has been answered earlier: are there any particular classes which excel at soloing?

I've just picked up SWTOR with 60 days play time in the hope that it'll keep me occupied until MoP release time. I've no intention of doing much group end-game stuff so I'm only really interested in doing stuff solo.

I appreciate that all classes have soloing capabilities because of the companion system but are there any particular stand-outs that people would recommend?

Depends on what role you want to fill, but if you're solo I'm going to assume you plan to go dps to play with the option to respec later. Generally I've found having you healer out means less down time, so assuming that, the only class that starts with a healer companion first is the Bounty Hunter. If you have any desire to tank later on go Powertech, otherwise go Mercenary as it's got much better range and self heals. That said, some of the other dps specs work decently with a tank companion so long as you can toss a heal their way if need be. Examples would be the Inquisitor/Consular when in the Sorcerer/Sage advanced classes, or the Agent/Smuggler as an Operative/Scoundrel.

I'm personally playing through as one of each advanced class, based on the fact that Imperial and Republic are mirrors of each other. So my Warrior is a Juggernaut tank, my Knight is a Sentinel dps, etc. I've personally had the most fun on the Warrior, the Bounty Hunter (Powertech), the Smuggler (Scoundrel), and the Trooper (Commando). I wanted to like the Assassin tank as it's like a Paladin with stealth in terms of mechanics, but I'm just not a fan of how it's been working out. It has a very set rotation that don't care for and while I was a fan of one rotation in WotLK I'm not caring for it in SWTOR.
A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. – Thomas Jefferson
Torquemada

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games