Do Al'ar's adds spawned in Phase 2 damage him when they die?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Do Al'ar's adds spawned in Phase 2 damage him when they die?

Postby Frank » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:30 am

I have heard that the adds spawned in Phase 2 do no damage to Al'ar when killed. Is this definitively true?

If so can someone provide me a link to this change? My guild is using a strategy predicated on this idea and I just want to make sure it's true.
Image
Frank
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 am

Postby Oramac » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 am

to the best of my knowledge, they do damage him. its like 2% of his total HP or something. i could easily be wrong though.
Aplus wrote:Yeah every time I get a big head, I go and try to solo a warlock.brings me back down to earth pretty fast
Oramac
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:16 am

Postby Lore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 am

Last I knew they still damaged him. I haven't done him since 2.3 hit though.
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

3%

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 am

Do adds that die cause him damage equal to a % of his total maximum HP's or a % of his total current HP?

Obviously this makes a huge difference in terms of whether or not to kill adds the entire fight or just at the beginning.
Image
Frank
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 am

Postby Splug » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:31 am

In my observation, they deal a fixed amount of damage to Al'ar when they die. Thus, it reduces 2-3% of Al'ar's total health, not his current health.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
User avatar
Splug
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2381
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:16 am

Postby QuantumDelta » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Nope it's his current hp, and yes they damage him in both phases (Exceptions: Phase changing and when he's doing his glitterball impersonation)
User avatar
QuantumDelta
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:31 am

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:37 am

QuantumDelta wrote:Nope it's his current hp, and yes they damage him in both phases (Exceptions: Phase changing and when he's doing his glitterball impersonation)


No, we've definitely finished Al'ar off from 5% or so by killing a couple of adds.
Image

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
User avatar
Dorvan
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8462
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:28 pm

Postby QuantumDelta » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:04 am

Dorvan wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote:Nope it's his current hp, and yes they damage him in both phases (Exceptions: Phase changing and when he's doing his glitterball impersonation)


No, we've definitely finished Al'ar off from 5% or so by killing a couple of adds.
We've tested it, and actually mathed out when it was most effective for us to purely ignore the adds (they designed the tactic without realising I can tank an entire phase worth of 'nixes).

I've never done it myself, but I do trust the other raid leader.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Al'ar

I'm quite concious that wowwiki is far from the bible, but;

Each time an add is destroyed in Phase II, Al'ar's health is drained by 3 percent, relative to her current health points.
User avatar
QuantumDelta
 
Posts: 1191
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:31 am

Postby Mortehl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:33 am

KILL THE ADDS

Yes, the adds damage him. Bad. Very Bad.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl
Moderator
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Naxx 10 prepping for Naxx 25

Postby Tekkel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:49 am

Aye we just take the adds down every spawn. Trick is to grab them both and try and be in the same tankspot every spawn. That way your dps and healers know where to stand and the adds die before alar goes up again. If they don't die before he goes up it's useless.
User avatar
Tekkel
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:10 am
Location: EU Silvermoon

Postby Lore » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:47 am

QuantumDelta wrote:
Dorvan wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote:Nope it's his current hp, and yes they damage him in both phases (Exceptions: Phase changing and when he's doing his glitterball impersonation)


No, we've definitely finished Al'ar off from 5% or so by killing a couple of adds.
We've tested it, and actually mathed out when it was most effective for us to purely ignore the adds (they designed the tactic without realising I can tank an entire phase worth of 'nixes).

I've never done it myself, but I do trust the other raid leader.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Al'ar

I'm quite concious that wowwiki is far from the bible, but;

Each time an add is destroyed in Phase II, Al'ar's health is drained by 3 percent, relative to her current health points.


Were that the case, killing an add when he's at 2% hp would do nothing... yet doing so invariably kills him.
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Tekkel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:29 am

yup tbh it's 3% of his base health. Not of his current health.
User avatar
Tekkel
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:10 am
Location: EU Silvermoon

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 am

Tekkel wrote:Aye we just take the adds down every spawn. Trick is to grab them both and try and be in the same tankspot every spawn. That way your dps and healers know where to stand and the adds die before alar goes up again. If they don't die before he goes up it's useless.


Maybe this is the wrong al'ar add thread, but how do people position them to keep everyone spread enough to minimize flame patch damage? We originally tried killing all the birds, but the ranged people were all in a very narrow wedge in phase 2 to be in LoS of the birds when I was backed into the crevice by the doorway. Should I be out a yard or two from the back of the crevice so they can get most of a semi-circle in?

I'm not liking my "hold 'em all" strat we've been using lately. Too prone to mishap.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
User avatar
Rasmfrackn
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Postby Mortehl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:I'm not liking my "hold 'em all" strat we've been using lately. Too prone to mishap.


Hold all the P1 birds. Nuke them when P2 starts all at once.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl
Moderator
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Naxx 10 prepping for Naxx 25

Postby Questioner » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 am

Tbh, the most repeatable strategy we had was just to kill all the birds as they spawn. When we were holding a bunch of them, someone always seemed to die, whether it was me due to bad explosion timing, someone moving from a flame patch or whatever. We haven't failed on Al'ar in 2 months with this strat.

I set up a macro for phase 2. Run towards (but not too close) to the meteor landing, hit the macro and it autotargets, marks and shield throws the closest bird (grabbing me both). Misdirect if you get a miss.

If a bird dies while you are transitioning from p1 to p2 and Al'ar has not appeared yet, he will not take extra damage. So if you still have 1 from p1, take it to 10% and then save it til he appears, then kill it.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
User avatar
Questioner
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:17 pm
Location: US Gorgonnash, Elis Guild

Next

Return to Tempest Keep

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest