Do Al'ar's adds spawned in Phase 2 damage him when they die?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Do Al'ar's adds spawned in Phase 2 damage him when they die?

Postby Frank » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:30 am

I have heard that the adds spawned in Phase 2 do no damage to Al'ar when killed. Is this definitively true?

If so can someone provide me a link to this change? My guild is using a strategy predicated on this idea and I just want to make sure it's true.
Frank

Postby Oramac » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 am

to the best of my knowledge, they do damage him. its like 2% of his total HP or something. i could easily be wrong though.
Aplus wrote:Yeah every time I get a big head, I go and try to solo a warlock.brings me back down to earth pretty fast
Oramac

Postby Lore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 am

Last I knew they still damaged him. I haven't done him since 2.3 hit though.
Lore
Global Mod

3%

Postby Frank » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 am

Do adds that die cause him damage equal to a % of his total maximum HP's or a % of his total current HP?

Obviously this makes a huge difference in terms of whether or not to kill adds the entire fight or just at the beginning.
Frank

Postby Splug » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:31 am

In my observation, they deal a fixed amount of damage to Al'ar when they die. Thus, it reduces 2-3% of Al'ar's total health, not his current health.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby QuantumDelta » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:17 pm

Nope it's his current hp, and yes they damage him in both phases (Exceptions: Phase changing and when he's doing his glitterball impersonation)
QuantumDelta

Postby Dorvan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:37 am

QuantumDelta wrote:Nope it's his current hp, and yes they damage him in both phases (Exceptions: Phase changing and when he's doing his glitterball impersonation)

No, we've definitely finished Al'ar off from 5% or so by killing a couple of adds.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby QuantumDelta » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:04 am

Dorvan wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote:Nope it's his current hp, and yes they damage him in both phases (Exceptions: Phase changing and when he's doing his glitterball impersonation)

No, we've definitely finished Al'ar off from 5% or so by killing a couple of adds.
We've tested it, and actually mathed out when it was most effective for us to purely ignore the adds (they designed the tactic without realising I can tank an entire phase worth of 'nixes).

I've never done it myself, but I do trust the other raid leader.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Al'ar

I'm quite concious that wowwiki is far from the bible, but;

Each time an add is destroyed in Phase II, Al'ar's health is drained by 3 percent, relative to her current health points.
QuantumDelta

Postby Mortehl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:33 am

KILL THE ADDS

Yes, the adds damage him. Bad. Very Bad.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Tekkel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:49 am

Aye we just take the adds down every spawn. Trick is to grab them both and try and be in the same tankspot every spawn. That way your dps and healers know where to stand and the adds die before alar goes up again. If they don't die before he goes up it's useless.
Tekkel

Postby Lore » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:47 am

QuantumDelta wrote:
Dorvan wrote:

We've tested it, and actually mathed out when it was most effective for us to purely ignore the adds (they designed the tactic without realising I can tank an entire phase worth of 'nixes).

I've never done it myself, but I do trust the other raid leader.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Al'ar

I'm quite concious that wowwiki is far from the bible, but;

Each time an add is destroyed in Phase II, Al'ar's health is drained by 3 percent, relative to her current health points.

Were that the case, killing an add when he's at 2% hp would do nothing... yet doing so invariably kills him.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Tekkel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:29 am

yup tbh it's 3% of his base health. Not of his current health.
Tekkel

Postby Rasmfrackn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 am

Tekkel wrote:Aye we just take the adds down every spawn. Trick is to grab them both and try and be in the same tankspot every spawn. That way your dps and healers know where to stand and the adds die before alar goes up again. If they don't die before he goes up it's useless.

Maybe this is the wrong al'ar add thread, but how do people position them to keep everyone spread enough to minimize flame patch damage? We originally tried killing all the birds, but the ranged people were all in a very narrow wedge in phase 2 to be in LoS of the birds when I was backed into the crevice by the doorway. Should I be out a yard or two from the back of the crevice so they can get most of a semi-circle in?

I'm not liking my "hold 'em all" strat we've been using lately. Too prone to mishap.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Mortehl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 am

Rasmfrackn wrote:I'm not liking my "hold 'em all" strat we've been using lately. Too prone to mishap.

Hold all the P1 birds. Nuke them when P2 starts all at once.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Questioner » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 am

Tbh, the most repeatable strategy we had was just to kill all the birds as they spawn. When we were holding a bunch of them, someone always seemed to die, whether it was me due to bad explosion timing, someone moving from a flame patch or whatever. We haven't failed on Al'ar in 2 months with this strat.

I set up a macro for phase 2. Run towards (but not too close) to the meteor landing, hit the macro and it autotargets, marks and shield throws the closest bird (grabbing me both). Misdirect if you get a miss.

If a bird dies while you are transitioning from p1 to p2 and Al'ar has not appeared yet, he will not take extra damage. So if you still have 1 from p1, take it to 10% and then save it til he appears, then kill it.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Next

Return to Tempest Keep